The Greatest Generation? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • jellyBelly 1 Oct 2013 21:19:23 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This was a very good gen in my experience. For example demon/dark souls, dishonoured, mario galaxy, and others are some of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. A big plus, also for the future , was the resurgence of small teams and indies.

However there was something about the big business growth in digital entertainment over the last decade that has put a slightly unsavoury taste to the last few years. Things like questionable business models, the yearly milking of certain brands, the extinction of the AA game, the decay of the Japanese industry, some of the working rights and conditions exposed in the industry, the explosion of fanboys morons perpetuated by the internet, and others

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• danathjo 1 Oct 2013 21:32:25 7,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    1. Lists
    2. Tables
    3. Graphs
    4. Diagrams
    5. Powerpoint presentations
    I lost all respect for your opinion as you didn't even mention pie charts
  • Deleted user 1 October 2013 21:49:08
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Yeah Pro Evo 14 is definitely the game of the generation.
    lol
  • bad09 1 Oct 2013 22:38:54 5,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I certainly don't think this "generation" was the best, it started well filled with awe and wonder but personally it sank to shit after 2008, not saying there wasn't great games but the business side just got so awful it's overshadowed (and even ruined) so many games. Look at where we are now with the monetisation of the medium and the constant ruining of great games franchises with "accessible" and "cinematic" gameplay and the dead and dull "triple A" market where they spend so much on trying to make you believe their game is awesome they can sell millions and still have something they think is a flop. This one has turned out to be the worst for me.

It's hard to pick a "greatest" generation as all consoles/home computers have had their greats that I love but the greatest time for me for gaming though was PS1 and through Dreamcast. Gaming was trying to grow up a bit, arcades were still going back then and ports were great so we all had arcades in our home (especially when DC hit) and on top of that and we got so many other good games over those 2 consoles. So full of wonder and awe and the money men hadn't shoved the internet down poor gamings throat yet. An amazingly wonderful time for gaming and a huge chunk of my fondest gaming memories come from that era and those 2 machines.

Edited by bad09 at 22:39:18 01-10-2013
  • jellyBelly 2 Oct 2013 07:23:57 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @moron Perhaps, never played any of the Thief games. I really liked the game world and also the characters powers, especially blink, which let you scale part of the enviroment instantly.

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Sharzam 2 Oct 2013 11:38:40 2,689 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jellyBelly

Defiantly play the original thief games if you liked the atmosphere. Dishonored stealth is so pared back and simple (modern accessible), thief can be alot more tactical and intense.

Will be interesting to see where they go with 4, as 3 started to dumb down but was still good.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• bad09 2 Oct 2013 14:54:19 5,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    @jellyBelly

Defiantly play the original thief games if you liked the atmosphere. Dishonored stealth is so pared back and simple (modern accessible), thief can be alot more tactical and intense.

Will be interesting to see where they go with 4, as 3 started to dumb down but was still good.
    With 4 I've read a couple of people say they've given it the usual Square Enix treatment (I think it was playable at the Expo or something). It's really dumbed down supposedly.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 01:32:25 3,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bets generation was Game Boy, because that's what I used when I was youngest.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 01:33:53 3,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jellyBelly wrote:
    @moron Perhaps, never played any of the Thief games.
    Honestly, you didn't miss much. They're pretty shite.

Didn't play any of them either. They're that bad.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next