Mentalgate Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• RichieTenenbaum 28 Sep 2013 15:26:24 2,157 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Biscuitician wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I think as a stand-alone case it is hard to see the harm, but it is a symptom of a wider issue that is very serious.

It's a bit like the Robinson's Gollywog or something. Not really that harmful in itself, but representative of a wider problem.
    The Gollywog is a doll with deliberate racist connotations.

The hallowween costume is insenstively titled. 'Escaped Mental Patient' is extremely tasteless and mental health is appallingly regarded and treated in society.
    Yeah. But it's modelled on the film Halloween isn't it. And that's the plot of the film!
  • kalel 28 Sep 2013 16:09:08 83,875 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't disagree, but there was no ill will begun it. It's just very badly considered.
  • TheSaint 22 Oct 2013 13:46:57 13,629 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People on Twitter are getting offended about silly stuff again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-24612748
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Oct 2013 13:52:05 36,283 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before but my uncle collects Golliwogs. I bought him one when he was last in the UK, and have this great photo of him looking well chuffed about it. His reasoning is that he loves them because they look like him :)

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 13:55:02
    "Thorpe Park kept repeating to people that there weren't sufficient complaints. I thought if we can get actual forms of people bothered about it, then it might help."

Ugh. The irony of people being blissfully unaware of such a thing (or even better, not really giving a shit) having their attention drawn to it by these mewlings so they can get het up about something they had literally no exposure to whatsoever is depressing.

"THIS STIGMATISES SOMETHING.

LET'S GIVE IT MASS EXPOSURE."
  • whatfruit 22 Oct 2013 13:57:55 1,080 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was a bit tasteless to call it the "mental paitent fancy dress costume" but the level of self righteous smug outrage in that news story is ridiculous.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 13:59:15
    We should retroactively ban Silence of the Lambs as it gives mental patients a negative image.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 13:59:52
    And look at that old Hitchcock movie. Paints people who struggle with psychopathy in a very poor light.
  • glaeken 22 Oct 2013 14:01:26 10,977 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The petition has 200 signatories. That is very almost fuck all of nothing. I am fairly sure if I started a petition say against the wearing of hats by self appointed "characters" I could get more support than that.

Edited by glaeken at 14:03:06 22-10-2013
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:02:01
    DOWN WITH NAPOLEON
  • Deckard1 22 Oct 2013 14:02:58 25,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alton Towers had a ride called The Spastic Cannibals when I was there last Halloween. No-one batted an eyelid.

Called it

• nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 14:03:08 55,866 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im glad they are sticking to their guns. Just for once, I would like a company to come out and say 'people of twitter! Go fuck yourselves!'

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:03:39
    Twittergategate
  • imamazed 22 Oct 2013 14:06:46 5,455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apparently, some are referring to "plebgate" as "gategate"
  • whatfruit 22 Oct 2013 14:08:49 1,080 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Apparently, some are referring to "plebgate" as "gategate"
    The inherent confusion of mixing the two terms has led to Misunderstandgateplebgategate
  • Steve_Perry 22 Oct 2013 14:10:01 2,447 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I saw this earlier. I'm fairly PC but what a load of bollocks. 200 signatures. WOW, EARTH SHATTERING SUPPORT. I could stand outside tesco for an hour and get more than that.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:10:06
    Look at this nimby

In my view, the first and the most important is that Thorpe Park and Merlin stop saying they are sorry “if offence has been caused” and accept that it’s not a question of people being offended – it’s a question of placing us at risk by falsely linking dangerousness and mental health in the public’s minds.
    Simple answer: Don't make such a big deal about having a "mental disorder". Having a twitter handle of "BipolarBlogger" probably doesn't help with that.
  • Gl3n Moderator 22 Oct 2013 14:10:15 5,168 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair isn't the 'uproar' related to perpetuating and demonising mental illness?

I don't think our society has enough widespread understanding and maturity of the issues to get away with some of this stuff.

Edited by Gl3n at 14:15:04 22-10-2013

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• kalel 22 Oct 2013 14:10:35 83,875 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    We should retroactively ban Silence of the Lambs as it gives mental patients a negative image.
    meme wrote:
    And look at that old Hitchcock movie. Paints people who struggle with psychopathy in a very poor light.
    I actually think one day these films will look very dated and in poor taste, much as horror films from the 70s about cannibal jungle tribes and such are considered racist today.
  • Deckard1 22 Oct 2013 14:14:40 25,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I doubt that very much. They're films about serial killers. I don't think the world will feel any great amount of pity or or protectiveness towards serial killers, regardless of how beige and wet it is becoming.

Called it

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:15:40
    Yeah, but those 70s films about cannibal jungle tribes are still readily available to buy with little outrage.

It was a flippant response, but to be honest I see it as a flippant issue anyway. It's like these people take "activism" as "actually look for things that annoy you then create a hashtag, job done".
  • S.J.Rogers 22 Oct 2013 14:17:53 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im glad they are sticking to their guns. Just for once, I would like a company to come out and say 'people of twitter! Go fuck yourselves!'
    I would 100% stand by Thorp Park if they did that..!
  • sport 22 Oct 2013 14:18:01 12,046 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    meme wrote:
    meme wrote:
    I actually think one day these films will look very dated and in poor taste, much as horror films from the 70s about cannibal jungle tribes and such are considered racist today.
    Don't tell MrTom's uncle that.
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 14:19:30 83,875 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I doubt that very much. They're films about serial killers. I don't think the world will feel any great amount of pity or or protectiveness towards serial killers, regardless of how beige and wet it is becoming.
    There's a scale to it. Films where there's just a killer running round murdering people for the fuck of it like Scream or whatever won't be such an issue, and anything supernatural is cool.

But films that make a strong link between the killer's mental health problems and their psychotic actions, as both these do, are problematic. They're symptomatic of an old-fashioned attitude towards mental health issues and they demonise and create fear. It's really not ok.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 14:21:12
    I'm not sure anyone associates Hannibal Lecter with all broad mental issues.

"I have depression."
    "Depression, eh? Don't eat my liver! Ffffffff!"
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 14:21:42 83,875 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, but those 70s films about cannibal jungle tribes are still readily available to buy with little outrage.

It was a flippant response, but to be honest I see it as a flippant issue anyway. It's like these people take "activism" as "actually look for things that annoy you then create a hashtag, job done".
    As I said earlier in the thread, just because some people do that (and they do), that doesn't make it a non-issue. The frustration in fact is they actually bring ridicule to what is actually quite a serious problem, and set it back.

It's like all the people who go "oh, and they going to ban blackboards next then? Is that PC". That's fine, but it doesn't mean that racism isn't an issue.
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 14:22:38 83,875 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I'm not sure anyone associates Hannibal Lecter with all broad mental issues.

"I have depression."
    "Depression, eh? Don't eat my liver! Ffffffff!"
    You're better than that dude.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last