• Roddles 23 Sep 2013 18:04:45 1,429 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bam.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
  • DaM 23 Sep 2013 18:17:32 12,605 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thatís great, but you donít want to see your parentsí games in your library.
    Who's buying the bloody thing?! Never thought an OS announcement would make me feel old!
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 18:18:44
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/245565
  • Roddles 23 Sep 2013 18:47:03 1,429 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Saw the Steambox thread, however this announcement is a bit different.

The "Steambox" is separate from SteamOS. SteamOS will work on any PC architecture. The inevitable Steambox will just be a pre-built PC with SteamOS already pre-installed.

Edited by Roddles at 18:47:20 23-09-2013
  • Carlo 23 Sep 2013 20:04:30 17,911 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any idea what hardware they're expecting it to be run on though?

PSN ID: Djini

• graysonavich 23 Sep 2013 20:06:05 6,801 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shit thread.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2013 05:53:20 64,887 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Any idea what hardware they're expecting it to be run on though?
    Be interesting if they get it running on XB/PS. Which seems the obvious hardware, but obviously they're competitors. But then, so is say Netflix and Sony for film and TV.

Hmm: Linux based. Didn't think that one through, it's very early though.

Edited by Dougs at 05:55:10 24-09-2013
  • warlockuk 24 Sep 2013 08:55:45 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "In-home Streaming".
    That's me fucking sold.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Roddles 24 Sep 2013 08:59:11 1,429 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No more moving the expensive PC to the telly. All you'll need is a cheapo receiver by your telly. I guess that might be the Steambox after all then.
  • Shikasama 24 Sep 2013 08:59:32 6,272 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't really get the significance of this.

To me it seems like I have to buy another PC, install Linux and then install SteamOS to be able to play games on my TV. Or install Linux on my current PC and hook it up to the TV and then run Steam OS for some reason.

I have no idea how Linux even works.
  • THFourteen 24 Sep 2013 09:01:21 31,797 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    "In-home Streaming".
    That's me fucking sold.
    wonder if it will work installed on a laptop.

as in streamed from PC to laptop

Edited by THFourteen at 09:01:55 24-09-2013
  • Roddles 24 Sep 2013 09:04:44 1,429 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't see why not. The only issue I see is wi-fi bandwidth really isn't enough to hide compression artifacts for gaming on your living room telly (not to mention latency spikes). It'll be workable for sure, but wiring up your home for wired internet will make the experience much closer to playing on the host machine.

Educated guess, my opinion, conjecture etc...

Edited by Roddles at 09:06:07 24-09-2013
  • Deleted user 24 September 2013 09:07:45
    Shikasama wrote:
    I don't really get the significance of this.

To me it seems like I have to buy another PC, install Linux and then install SteamOS to be able to play games on my TV. Or install Linux on my current PC and hook it up to the TV and then run Steam OS for some reason.

I have no idea how Linux even works.
    No you won't have to install Linux and then install SteamOS as SteamOS is the operating system which is Linux-based. So you won't need a seperate Linux install.

You also won't have to buy a new pc as SteamOS will run on any living room machine.
  • Widge Moderator 24 Sep 2013 09:14:04 12,589 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HOLD ON. So you could effectively dual boot? Select Windows or Steam at login?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• RunningMan 24 Sep 2013 09:17:11 2,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's linux so dual booting should work.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2013 09:17:58
    @Widge

Yeah.
  • Carlo 24 Sep 2013 09:20:00 17,911 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    HOLD ON. So you could effectively dual boot? Select Windows or Steam at login?
    Appears so.

Plus (more importantly?) you can use any old hardware... Maybe even a console... as a SteamOS client and stream any Windows games that are not converted for SteamOS and play them on your big screen TV without having to move the PC, or run a long cable.

Seeing SteamOS on a Playstation will make me piss myself laughing. I can image Sony would do it just to piss Microsoft off.

You can stream games from your Windows or Mac system to a SteamOS machine.
    The strongest argument that a Steam Box is imminent: Valveís going to let you pipe existing Steam games from PCs around your house, over your home network, straight to your SteamOS machine in the living room. Latency-free (or near enough)?
    Edited by Carlo at 09:26:41 24-09-2013

• Widge Moderator 24 Sep 2013 09:24:35 12,589 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting. Wonder if games will run better there without Windows dominating it?

Need to figure out details about Family Sharing. I want to know what exactly I can do with it. Be great if I could lend out my account to my dad.

And HAH at Playstation. I guess OtherOS would come in handy again! Although I believe that environment was ridiculously locked down.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Mr-Brett 24 Sep 2013 09:26:30 12,676 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony wouldn't make any money from having SteamOS on their systems, in fact they'd likely lose money because people would buy games through Steam instead.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Carlo 24 Sep 2013 09:28:28 17,911 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Interesting. Wonder if games will run better there without Windows dominating it?
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

• THFourteen 24 Sep 2013 09:30:54 31,797 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    I don't see why not. The only issue I see is wi-fi bandwidth really isn't enough to hide compression artifacts for gaming on your living room telly (not to mention latency spikes). It'll be workable for sure, but wiring up your home for wired internet will make the experience much closer to playing on the host machine.

Surely it must be possible, especially as you can stream games over the internet via wifi to your laptop from Gaikai and places like that.

Also there's the nvidia shield
  • warlockuk 24 Sep 2013 09:53:53 19,101 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    "In-home Streaming".
    That's me fucking sold.
    wonder if it will work installed on a laptop.

as in streamed from PC to laptop
    It'd probably depend on internal bandwidth... but it works for me because my main PC is up in the attic room, and more often than not I'm downstairs. If I can play my PC games with a pad without too much grief that's an instant winner for me. Especially as downstairs is where the big tv is.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• kalel 24 Sep 2013 09:55:58 83,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if you could stick Steam on a NAS, and not even need to have a PC running to stream games.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2013 09:56:06
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Sony wouldn't make any money from having SteamOS on their systems, in fact they'd likely lose money because people would buy games through Steam instead.
    No I don't think that that's correct. Developers would release games to be sold via SteamOS, so on a pc running SteamOS then Valve would take their cut. But if SteamOS was on PS4 then the platform holder, which in this case would be Sony, would get their cut along with Valve and then the game developer. The developer may end up with a smaller profit per game sold via SteamOS on the PS4/Xbox One/Wii/Ouya etc compared to pc but the game is available on more platforms so overall more profit for them.

Edited by DOOMologist at 09:58:36 24-09-2013
  • Carlo 24 Sep 2013 09:57:15 17,911 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Netflix and Lovefilm are on PS3, which competes with Video Unimited. They don't seem to mind.

• kalel 24 Sep 2013 09:57:45 83,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I wonder if you could stick Steam on a NAS, and not even need to have a PC running to stream games.
    Bugger, I didn't realise this was a different thread.

Is it really necessary to have the same discussion split over two threads? I know this one is technically more specific, but realistic it's all that was being discussed in the other one...
  • Mr-Brett 24 Sep 2013 10:06:52 12,676 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Netflix and Lovefilm are on PS3, which competes with Video Unimited. They don't seem to mind.
    It's a little different though, those are available everywhere including on xbox so Sony kinda have to have it or it'd be a notable omission. I don't see the maths adding up with profit sharing, too many middle man.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Roddles 24 Sep 2013 10:07:36 1,429 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Roddles wrote:

Surely it must be possible, especially as you can stream games over the internet via wifi to your laptop from Gaikai and places like that.

Also there's the nvidia shield
    Oh it's possible, I'm just saying the quality might not be brilliant when you factor in the bitrate requirements of a 1920x1080 60fps stream. Much more demanding than the Shield's 1280x720 30fps and the Wii-U tablet's 854x480 60fps streams. More importantly you'll be looking 32-50 inch televisions.

As I say, I'm sure it'll be fine over wifi for most, but I imagine there'll be a super high quality option that will only work over a gigabit wired network.
  • hiddenranbir 30 Sep 2013 00:14:37 5,744 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    It's a little different though, those are available everywhere including on xbox so Sony kinda have to have it or it'd be a notable omission. I don't see the maths adding up with profit sharing, too many middle man.
    Also are those things doing -games- ?

Seems like SteamOS on a PS would be saying "yeah forget PSN....."
  • Deleted user 30 September 2013 04:21:26
    kalel wrote:
    Doubtful. I presume the "stream games" means it plays them at the server end and encodes them and streams the video ala nVidia Shield, so it would need something capable of playing them in the first place.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous