PS Vita no space on memory card issue

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • infoxicated 19 Sep 2013 10:30:26 1,022 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This morning I had a mental problem with my PS Vita. When I started it up there was a warning on the screen saying there was less than 40Mb left.

The notification bubble showed that during the night an update to Everybody's Golf had downloaded then failed due to running out of space, leaving me with 0k free on the memory card.

I figured I'd just delete something I don't play any more, like Ecolibrium, but I couldn't because of the chicken & egg scenario of needing space to delete something. I tried to delete games of different sizes, but the Vita just reported "can not delete this content."

Even going for smaller titles, like Driver and Resident Evil 2, there was no breathing space for the Vita to delete.

Worrying that I'd have to format the memory card I went into Music Unlimited and deleted a 75 track offline playlist because I figured that would free up just enough space to make deleting games possible. No dice.

Next up I went into settings > application data management and deleted the save date for Driver and Resident Evil 2. After a restart I tried again to delete Ecolibrium and after looking like it was hanging for two or three minutes the Vita finally came back to life, showing that I'd free'd up almost 1Gb.

Success, or so I thought - now all of Music Unlimited's offline music (about 300 tracks on various playlists) no longer showed up, so evidently trying to delete one when there was no memory card space screwed up the offline store.

Anyway, what a mess. Slow clap for Sony for allowing the Vita to start a download that it doesn't have the space to save in the first place.

TL;DR

Always make sure you have > 50Mb free or your Vita will be borked. :|
  • dominalien 19 Sep 2013 10:33:39 6,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, clearly not Sony's, or Vita's best moment. They really should put some safeguards in place.

Does Sony have some kind of a feedback form where you can leave suggestions?

PSN: DonOsito

• aros 19 Sep 2013 11:10:03 2,053 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, what a nightmare. I thought downloads didn't start if there was too little space so that's a worry to be sure.
  • santashi 19 Sep 2013 11:27:31 4,933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's mental!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• PazJohnMitch 19 Sep 2013 11:34:17 7,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cancel the download of the partially downloaded game. (Then delete it). Once that is done then delete what you do not want and the re-download.

This worked for me when the Vita played the same trick on me about 6 months ago.

Of course a later firmware update may mean this no longer works?
  • santashi 19 Sep 2013 11:40:12 4,933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have to cancel the Project Diva f update every morning, pretty much. There isn't anything to turn off individual game updates yet, is there?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Page

of 1

Previous Next