An Indian-American wins Miss America, Twitter brands her a terrorist Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 18:32:52
    It mostly depends on immigration. Back in the late 1800s you'd hear Irish-American, German-American etc fairly frequently, but it's since flattened to just American. The Indian immigration into the US is (comparatively) more recent, just like how anyone from south of the border is Latino-American. Obviously there's exceptions with groups who have been marginalised and systematically abused in some way like African-Americans or Native Americans, but still. It's highlighted because there hasn't been that flattening of immigration and assimilation into broader culture yet.
  • Ryze 16 Sep 2013 18:33:50 3,121 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Angry, racist, European-Americans spill bile and hatred on the 'Innurnet'? How surprising!

:D
  • spamdangled 16 Sep 2013 18:59:10 27,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dave wrote:
    Too many tweets make a twat.

The best thing david cameron ever said.
    Genuine ftfy

Edited by darkmorgado at 18:59:24 16-09-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Bremenacht 16 Sep 2013 18:59:26 17,598 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Their Irish, therefore terrorist, heritage.
  • mal 16 Sep 2013 19:19:39 22,329 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It mostly depends on immigration. Back in the late 1800s you'd hear Irish-American, German-American etc fairly frequently, but it's since flattened to just American.
    As far as I can tell half of New York is Irish-American on St Paddy's day. And the other half Italian-American. Nobody wants to be German any more, for obvious reasons.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 16 September 2013 19:22:30
    You say that, but there's a city in Oregon (I think - might be Washington) that's done up like a Bavarian village, and Oktoberfest is pretty huge here. A pretty sizeable selection of Jews in America are of German descent, too.
  • RedSparrows 16 Sep 2013 19:39:43 21,961 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Always makes me grin when an American on TV or film says 'hey I'm #insertromanticisedEuropeancountryhere#!'

By that token, I'm flipping Scottish. Hoots mon, bitches.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 19:43:32
    How !
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 19:43:53
    Ill see myself out

/coat
  • Zomoniac 16 Sep 2013 19:50:46 7,785 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Must have recalled some prediction.

72% is higher than I would have thought,
    I think the thing you're recalling was a report from I think last year that a majority of new-borns in the US were non-white for the first time. The overall population is still mostly white but they're having fewer children. IIRC. Which I probably don't.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 19:52:33
    It's also probably reports that minority populations will have grown enough to (potentially) be a deciding factor in the next Presidential race. Hence the big push by the Repubs to start appealing to Latinos etc.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 16 Sep 2013 19:56:09 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, that was the context for the programme I watched, relating to the presidential candidates lobbying the Hispanic communities to a greater degree.
  • Tonka 16 Sep 2013 19:57:44 20,006 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Every American I've come across has told me their ethical background. I guess the fact I'm from the old world might make them more likely to do that but I find it a bit weird none the less.

To me they are American. Not irish-french-with-a-bit-of-dane

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Sep 2013 20:13:48 39,384 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd tap that.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 16 Sep 2013 20:17:15 86,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It mostly depends on immigration. Back in the late 1800s you'd hear Irish-American, German-American etc fairly frequently, but it's since flattened to just American. The Indian immigration into the US is (comparatively) more recent, just like how anyone from south of the border is Latino-American. Obviously there's exceptions with groups who have been marginalised and systematically abused in some way like African-Americans or Native Americans, but still. It's highlighted because there hasn't been that flattening of immigration and assimilation into broader culture yet.
    Hmm. Must just be coincidence that all the groups who have "flattened" happen to be white, and the ones that haven't aren't.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 20:23:09
    Well, yeah, it's been the whites who were doing the marginalisation and systematic abuse, but it's also because they're the oldest immigrants. Current theory points towards a broad flattening for accepted minorities. African-American and Native-American will probably always be recognised terms simply for historical reasons, but Indian American, Latino American, Asian American (all recent immigrants, compared to the white groups) will fade out into just "American" (Asian American arguably already has), but with minor heritage celebration like Cinco De Mayo/St Paddy's Day.

Edited by meme at 20:25:49 16-09-2013
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next