True Detective - Woody Harrelson/Matthew McConaughey

• Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 10 Sep 2013 08:45:42 6,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Saw the trailer for this before work and it looks pretty damn interesting. I'll watch anything with Woody Harrelson in it but to see two such big ticket names leading a TV drama is exciting.

With so much good TV coming to an end (Dexter, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice) it'll be cool to see what TV shows come up to replace them, this looks like a good shout.
  • kalel 10 Sep 2013 08:47:20 86,802 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Should be good, although I'd be sad to see MM downgraded to a TV actor. Even though it's not the dead-end it used to be, there's still a bit of a gulf.

It seemed like his career was just starting to go to the next level.
  • Tonka 10 Sep 2013 08:54:03 20,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two of my favorite actors. Sounds good.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Shikasama 10 Sep 2013 09:00:57 6,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Should be good, although I'd be sad to see MM downgraded to a TV actor. Even though it's not the dead-end it used to be, there's still a bit of a gulf.

I don't think it is a 'downgrading' so much as him exploring his new found ability to actually act.

I think him and Woody Harrelson are good mates off screen as well so that probably has a lot to do with it.
  • Load_2.0 10 Sep 2013 09:27:52 19,109 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is right up my street, very excited.

Jan 2014, 8 episodes.
  • Load_2.0 10 Sep 2013 09:38:48 19,109 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also looks like it will be an anthology so might actually have a conclusion and some structure!

Still pissed about LOST.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 09:39:11 10-09-2013
  • GuiltySpark 10 Sep 2013 09:41:31 6,355 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might be mistaken, but I'm sure I just read that you think Dexter is "good" TV.

Get bent.

• Deckard1 10 Sep 2013 09:51:23 27,595 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:

I don't even know if TV really is much of a downgrade now.You could argue that a lot of the talent seems to be in TV rather than movies at the minute. I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more movie actors going into TV now.

This looks great - not sure about Woody Harrelsons dodgy wig though.

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 10 September 2013 09:52:09
    kalel wrote:

He's got interstellar next year and some upcoming film that early views suggested potential oscars, although that could be because he did a Bale and lost a few stone.
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 10 Sep 2013 10:00:05 903 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    This has been on my radar for many months, it's only a mini-series though, right?

Love Woody, great actor... much better than MM, who i also really like. TV is no downgrade. Cinema can't touch the depth of good TV.
  • localnotail 13 Jan 2014 23:04:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First episode aired last night. Very impressed. Lovely work between the two leads Harrelson and McConaughey - the latter getting a far darker, rangy role than usual. Sure does look the part of an insomniac alcoholic.

The anthology nature of the planned series is interesting. All stand-alone, with different casts and locations.

Edited by localnotail at 00:01:59 15-01-2014

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MadCaddy13 13 Jan 2014 23:06:47 1,870 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bloody sky Atlantic. I'm a virgin and will always be a Virgin!

Wait...
  • localnotail 13 Jan 2014 23:11:20 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do not give money to Sky either. And yet magically I am granted access to such things, praise the net.

• Shikasama 13 Jan 2014 23:13:43 6,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got this ready for a good weekend watching. If it is half as good as the trailer then I'll be happy.
  • Syrette 13 Jan 2014 23:18:26 43,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Downloading a 720p torrent as I type. Really hope I get into this - desperately need a new TV show to sink my teeth into.

• localnotail 13 Jan 2014 23:25:07 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is told in a slightly unusual manner of interviews and flashbacks, which feels a little disjointed to start with but it settled quite quickly.

Only 8 episodes, 60 minutes each, but hopefully the quality will hold throughout. The music is from T Bone Burnett, who does the Coen Brothers' scores. Lovely.

• Khanivor 13 Jan 2014 23:57:28 40,493 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've paid enough to HBO to watch GoT that I ain't gona feel guilty about torrenting this.

I just wanna see Woody'w wig in action.
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 14 Jan 2014 09:47:16 903 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Can't wait to see this, love the two main actors. Supposedly it isn't just a miniseries - there is scheduled to be a next season (ratings providing, no doubt) with completely different leads... and then same again for season 3.

Woody and Matthew would be unsustainable for TV, but I hope the next leads are up to snuff. Could be interesting, if the characters are intertwined. Already sounds like the timelines aren't just straight forward.
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Jan 2014 22:04:21 5,459 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched the opener. Wasn't there a discussion in the film thread about MM just being a face ?

Damn gaunt unrecognisable face in this so far, and a fairly special cast. Dark, intriguing, hopefully to be maintained.
  • Salaman 15 Jan 2014 21:16:49 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched it. Pretty good. Although I'm mainly confused about the actual story and case, i do enjoy watching them both do their thing.
  • RichieTenenbaum 15 Jan 2014 21:23:13 2,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brother Mouzone!
    This was good. Also: the American definition of a 'mini series' is funny. It's longer than two series of Black Mirror!
  • Syrette 15 Jan 2014 21:30:13 43,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• localnotail 15 Jan 2014 21:34:46 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Salaman The two black detectives are interviewing both of the white detectives who investigated an apparently occult murder over a decade previously because another murder has been committed that shares striking similarities
    They are doing it separately because they are no longer on good terms.

In the flashbacks they are also looking into the disappearance of a young girl from the community in case there is a connection

Just for fun I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the reason they don't get on any more is because Harrelson is having an affair with that woman who came to the station with the files, and McConaughey maybe gets together with his wife.

Always nice to see Clarke Peters, but he'll always be Lester Freamon to me, even after Treme.

Edited by localnotail at 23:14:13 15-01-2014

• Tonka 16 Jan 2014 07:23:02 20,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really enjoyed that. People mistaking MM for a pretty boy are probably the same that still rate DeNero and Al Pachinko.

Woody is my favorite actor of them all and to see the paired up in what looks like a very strong crime drama is pure gold.

Only downside is the old rough cop with gorgeous wife trope. If he's playing hide the sausage with that other woman I guess his salami must be as legendary as he said to the interviewers.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 08:25:42 27,595 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where is this on? Or are people just thieving it?

Hush you ponce

• morriss 16 Jan 2014 09:10:25 70,918 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still rate Pacino, and I don't think MM is just a pretty boy. DeNiro can still act, he's just sold out.
  • Deckard1 16 Jan 2014 09:13:33 27,595 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pacino lost it a few years ago imo. DeNiro can still be good given the right role. I do however, think Matthew Mahogany is delicious.

Hush you ponce

• glaeken 16 Jan 2014 09:42:15 11,134 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Deckard1 Sky Atlantic are going to show it but it's not started yet. They are only saying coming February for it at the moment so no exact date.
  • Salaman 16 Jan 2014 09:43:52 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    @Salaman The two black detectives are interviewing both of the white detectives who investigated an apparently occult murder over a decade previously because another murder has been committed that shares striking similarities
    They are doing it separately because they are no longer on good terms.

In the flashbacks they are also looking into the disappearance of a young girl from the community in case there is a connection

Just for fun I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the reason they don't get on any more is because Harrelson is having an affair with that woman who came to the station with the files, and McConaughey maybe gets together with his wife.

Always nice to see Clarke Peters, but he'll always be Lester Freamon to me, even after Treme.
    Oh I got the overall gist of it as outlined by you. But as I was sitting there watching I was mostly confused throughout. And that I have some files to hand over only to the inspector! bit was indeed very blatant. :-)

Also ... although they had another of those murders and are reviewing the '95 case. They do seem to spend an awful long time asking questions about the relation between the two detectives. Which should be irrelevant. So I'm curious to see what they're trying to dig for with that.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous