Playstation Vita TV Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 9 Sep 2013 13:16:08 12,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you can play PSN+ games on it with a USB, that is one dinky console.

Next logical step would be Gaikai, and if that opened up the PS2-4 catalogues, then it is a decent cat amongst the pigeons, and a competitor to the Nintendo low cost/low power strategy.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• mrpon 9 Sep 2013 13:16:12 27,640 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bunglebonce wrote:
    Short-Round wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    you'll doubtless need a second memory card and a load of dicking about because, as I say, it's Sony we're tlaking about here.
    Look at the picture of the inputs. It doesn't look to accept Vita memory cards at all, just retail carts.
    The slot on the back is almost certainly for a memory card; the game cart is on the side (as per the gif at the top of the thread).
    Yeah.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Kay 9 Sep 2013 13:27:54 17,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So this is essentially a mini-console that plays Vita games and comes with a DS3? I just thought it would be an TV-out add-on for the Vita.
  • Rhythm 9 Sep 2013 13:31:49 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    So this is essentially a mini-console that plays Vita games and comes with a DS3? I just thought it would be an TV-out add-on for the Vita.
    Plays Vita, PSP, PS1, doesn't ship with a controller or memory card though (at least not in the cheapest of the bundles)
  • Flying_Pig 9 Sep 2013 13:43:56 10,270 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Plays Vita, PSP, PS1, doesn't ship with a controller or memory card though (at least not in the cheapest of the bundles)
    If we're all having this much difficulty getting our heads round this, Sony need to make their marketing much clearer.

As I read it: Vita TV is a Vita-compatible under-the-tv console. It can play Vita, PS1 and PSP games (The latter 2 from PSN only). They may also add media streaming functionality.

It should come in at around 75 (hopefully).

The lack of DS3 shouldn't be an issue, as most (early) adopters should have one knocking around already, and if I upgrade my Vita memory card to a 64GB one, I'll keep my 32GB one and stick it in the Vita TV :)

I can see this being a great first console for my kids - relatively inexpensive, tons of brilliant, but cheap, games (I own quite a few already), no need to repeatedly swap media (i.e. DVDs etc) and it doesn't need a kick-ass TV to get the most out of it.

Can I have one for Christmas?

Edit: Oo Oo Oooo - if this comes out in the US in December, I could pick one up while I'm out there... :D
  • aros 9 Sep 2013 13:44:09 2,036 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Memory cards have been confirmed - there is a bundle with a DS3 & 8gb Vita memory card.

It is a shocker but a very good one. It's a brilliant move from Sony. We should be comparing this as a product to Android lolconsoles rather than home-consoles, which is what it is designed to compete with if you are buying it as a one off rather than for RP etc.
  • senso-ji 9 Sep 2013 13:48:41 5,300 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is exciting stuff. I only hope that Europe doesn't have to wait too long for it. Otherwise, at ~63, this is worth importing (assuming it'll be region free like the vita).
  • Feanor 9 Sep 2013 13:51:06 13,921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A lot of Vita games won't work, even with eventual DS4 support. Anything that needs a camera, e.g. Uncharted GA.
  • INSOMANiAC 9 Sep 2013 13:57:26 3,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    you'll doubtless need a second memory card and a load of dicking about because, as I say, it's Sony we're tlaking about here.
    Look at the picture of the inputs. It doesn't look to accept Vita memory cards at all, just retail carts.
    If you look at the GIF in my second post, Im betting the game goes under what looks like a flap, the memory card in the back. They'd be mental not to include a memory card slot, how are people supposed to download and buy games unless its has a 32gb inbuilt memory, which for $100, I'm thinking it wont.

EDIT- And then I see page 2...

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 13:58:29 09-09-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• L0cky 9 Sep 2013 14:02:26 1,442 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    This is exciting stuff. I only hope that Europe doesn't have to wait too long for it. Otherwise, at ~63, this is worth importing (assuming it'll be region free like the vita).
    You can pretty much bet that 63 will magically become 99.
  • Feanor 9 Sep 2013 14:40:26 13,921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A way to simulate touch control is apparently built in to the system.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/faq/

[QUOTE]The PS Vita TV, there is a "touch pointer" as the support function of the system.
    You can set PS button Press and hold> menu> from "Using the touch pointer".
    Once set, by pressing the button on R3 or L3 of the wireless controller, the pointer in the shape of the finger is displayed. You can operate move it.[/QUOTE]

Edited by Feanor at 14:40:43 09-09-2013
  • AaronTurner 9 Sep 2013 14:41:31 7,521 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would have thought they would have used the R2 or L2 buttons to turn on touch assist.
  • GreasyWeasel 9 Sep 2013 14:48:15 463 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This sounds kind of interesting to me to play PS4 in another room however after looking at the specs for it, it's not capable of 1080p meaning that they won't look great downscaled to 1080i or 720p. Pity they didn't put a ethernet port capable of 10/100/1000 to match the PS4 ethernet port.
  • Flying_Pig 9 Sep 2013 15:09:26 10,270 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The IGN comments section on their article for this is brilliant:

Poster 1: So is this what I need to Remote Play on my Vita?
    Poster 2: No, you need it to make your Vita a second screen for your PS3
    Poster 3: No it's a TV out for your Vita to play Vita games on a TV
    Poster 4: So I need this and a Vita to play Vita games on my TV. Seems expensive.

And on and on and on.....
  • kalel 9 Sep 2013 15:13:07 83,839 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GreasyWeasel wrote:
    This sounds kind of interesting to me to play PS4 in another room however after looking at the specs for it, it's not capable of 1080p meaning that they won't look great downscaled to 1080i or 720p. Pity they didn't put a ethernet port capable of 10/100/1000 to match the PS4 ethernet port.
    Seriously, 1080p downscaled to 720p is going to look absolutely fine, even on a massive TV, and literally unnoticeable on anything smaller than 40".
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2013 15:17:05 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the killer app, for me. If I can, effectively, put a PS4 on every TV for under 100, thats basically my mind made up for the next gen.

It seems to be, on the surface, absolute genius.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dangerous_Dave 9 Sep 2013 15:17:42 21 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Is this the most pointless console ever released? Probably not, but it's gotta be up there.
  • kalel 9 Sep 2013 15:20:47 83,839 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a mistake to see it as a console. The fact that it does effectively work on its own as a console is just a string to its bow. It's not really what the main purpose is.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Sep 2013 15:23:17 4,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I only had eight games for my PS Vita:

Everybody's Golf, Gravity Rush, Little Deviants (don't ask), Lumines Electronic Symphony, Super Stardust Delta, Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!!, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and WipEout 2048.

... it appears that only four of those will work on a PS Vita TV, which is a bit poo poo.
  • Rhythm 9 Sep 2013 15:23:41 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dangerous_Dave wrote:
    Is this the most pointless console ever released? Probably not, but it's gotta be up there.
    $100 for a streaming box that also has instant access to over 1300 games? Yeah, super pointless: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/199833/Opinion_PS_Vita_TV_poised_to_shake_up_the_microconsole_race.php
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2013 15:25:58 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I genuinely think this could be a game changer if they do it right.

The interesting thing will be if I can set up a VPN tunnel and stream at work.

He totally called it

• Dangerous_Dave 9 Sep 2013 15:36:11 21 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's a mistake to see it as a console. The fact that it does effectively work on its own as a console is just a string to its bow. It's not really what the main purpose is.
    Ok, but I always thought the main USP of Sony's handhelds was being able to play GTA on the bog. The Vita still might GTA at some point.
  • INSOMANiAC 9 Sep 2013 15:40:46 3,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:

$100 for a streaming box that also has instant access to over 1300 games? Yeah, super pointless: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/199833/Opinion_PS_Vita_TV_poised_to_shake_up_the_microconsole_race.php
    The more I think about it,and after reading that article, the more I think that Sony might just have a major hit on their hands. One of the cheapest, most powerful gaming set-top boxes on the market, that also plays Vita games and streams PS4 around the house. Its a work of genius. Now all they have to do is market it properly, explaining exactly what it can do. I can see a lot of crying children on christmas day when Uncharted won't work on it.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 9 Sep 2013 15:41:46 3,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dangerous_Dave wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Ok, but I always thought the main USP of Sony's handhelds was being able to play GTA on the bog. The Vita still might GTA at some point.
    ...... yeah but.... this isn't a handheld, it just plays handheld games on it as one of its many features. It's not that difficult to grasp really.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• kalel 9 Sep 2013 15:44:00 83,839 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They may have made a mistake using the Vita branding for this. It kind of confuses the issue.

They could have called it the Playstation mini, or the Playstation TV or something like that.
  • dominalien 9 Sep 2013 15:47:53 6,741 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    They may have made a mistake using the Vita branding for this. It kind of confuses the issue.

They could have called it the Playstation mini, or the Playstation TV or something like that.
    I disagree. It's a Vita more than anything else: it plays Vita, PSP and PS1 games and offers remote play from PS4 to its screen. A Vita,

PSN: DonOsito

• nickthegun 9 Sep 2013 15:49:19 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you can kind of understand it if they are expanding 'VITA' to be a brand of its own.

He totally called it

• CosmicFuzz 9 Sep 2013 15:49:40 21,213 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No I agree with kalel. The fact that so many people are confused shows that the branding of it isn't working out the gate.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• ZuluHero 9 Sep 2013 15:50:11 3,658 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't that in itself be confusing as it only does what the Vita does now (or will do when the PS4 is launched), except not as a handheld but on your TV?

"Vita TV" pretty much covers it ;)
  • sport 9 Sep 2013 15:52:50 12,043 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will the sound streamed be as good and memorable as Nintendo games?
  • Page

of 6 First / Last