(4 bed house and a double garage)
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2018 18:54:28 84,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's still really fucking pricy!
  • robc84 31 Jan 2018 18:55:12 12,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So some of you may recall my posts on here about my sloping floors upstairs.

While (generally) I've made my peace with it, it's playing on my mind still alongside a few other things.

Firstly, the door frame to the third bedroom (at the front of the house) is not square. The door catches and there is a noticeable gap at the top between door and frame (maybe half an inch). Then today while stripping the second bedroom walls I noticed a crack that runs from floor to ceiling (external wall).

All the issues seem to be upstairs, and as far as I can see there are no cracks on any of the outside walls. Certainly nothing noticeable. So I'm guessing it all must be caused by some kind of structural issue in the upstairs (the joists I suppose).

I'm thinking I should probably get someone round to have a look. Hopefully there isn't any issues, but if there are I guess it's better to know about them now rather than bury my head in the sand :)
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2018 19:16:48 62,449 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    That's still really fucking pricy!
    I suspect the 400kg or so of weights might be partly to blame.

Edit - Actually, now I think about it, it's more like 600kg.

Edited by Psychotext at 19:17:11 31-01-2018
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2018 19:30:49 84,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Flog them and buy new ones delivered for free!
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2018 19:33:19 84,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rob...if getting someone in is the only way to put your mind at rest, you might as well get it done. Once you start having doubts, best to sort it...
  • elstoof 31 Jan 2018 20:00:09 19,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fitting new doors in mine at the moment, none of these old frames are square. ďCharacterĒ is a right pain the arse sometimes.

Crack from floor to ceiling can be down to bricks on the internal wall shrinking a bit, depends on what sort of wall it is, lightweight blocks on upper floors would be more susceptible to that sort of thing. We had a bigun like that on the kitchen extension that was done about 10 years ago. The blocks on the internal wall are like styrofoam, had to cut a chunk out for a fan vent and it weighed nothing
  • robc84 31 Jan 2018 20:22:43 12,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh, yeah 'character' sucks.

May just see if my friend will come round (retired surveyor) and give it the once over to get a view.
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2018 22:45:09 62,449 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Flog them and buy new ones delivered for free!
    Indeed!
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Feb 2018 12:13:02 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Getting quite fucked off now. Building regs guy came on Tuesday. Ok'd most of the work but he's got to replace the roof tiles. My old dear had a peek round the back yesterday and he's got new tiles ready and a bore hole in the floor outside next to the orangary.

My wife has left him a friendly message to see what the crack is after he hasn't replied to her or his solicitors, or the estate agents, finally responds this morning:

Spoken with solicitors. He said he does need to replace the tiles and the money is really short now. Said he doesnít know when he will be able to do that. I told her we have offered him the £500 but we canít be waiting much longer due to the baby and not sure how long our buyers would wait. She is going to get back in touch with him.
    Yes got to change the tiles. Says he is going to lose time with work and he canít afford to do it. Pissing me off a bit. See what he comes back with but I said there will have to come a point when we just cut our loses with it because it will get too close to the baby coming and our buyers might not wait
    I get the distinct feeling that he's just pulling his dick now, not wanting to sink any more money into a house that's not going to be his soon, but when I messaged him to say we'd give him £500 if the work needed was going to be quiet intrusive, he never got back to me.

Did have in my head that it'd be done for next Friday (after the original date of the 19th slipping by). I know our buyers won't pull out unless it gets beyond ridiculous, but fucking hell. Really taking the piss now.
  • Dougs 1 Feb 2018 13:08:17 84,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sounds like ultimatum time. You've been more than fair by offering a contribution. Tell him to get it sorted by X date or you are pulling out.
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Feb 2018 13:16:05 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup. Wife's playing bad cop now:

I arenít giving him anymore money. Will suggest we get a quote for the roof and him let us know how much more he needs to pay to the building regs and he can knock it off the price. The mortgage company did say that as long as the application was in then they were happy.
    Whether he's strapped for cash or not, we've been more than amicable and tried to offer an olive branch, even though it's not our mistake to rectify. Don't know what else we can say other than hurry the fuck up or we pull out (which I really don't want to do as it's near perfect for us and our situation).
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Feb 2018 14:16:15 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultimatum set. Left it with him and he has 3 options, he accepts our £500 and gets on with it, he leaves it and knocks some of the price and we sort it or he loses the sale. Estate Agents have left him a message.
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2018 20:45:20 62,449 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So all the removals quotes are in... and none of the BAR removers are sub £1600. Sigh.

Not that I'm sure it helps much. One of the surveyors from a BAR removers asked if they could park on the main road and carry our stuff over the little fence (basically where people have worn a path through a hedgerow).

Yeah... no. Assclown.
  • elstoof 1 Feb 2018 20:58:47 19,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How much is it if you pack yourselves?
  • Psychotext 2 Feb 2018 07:38:26 62,449 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If we pack ourselves, the best quote is £630. The worst is £1,440. Cheapest of the BAR would be £1250.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Feb 2018 09:30:09 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We composed a message together last night to send to who we're buying from. It was a pretty upfront (as we've been all along) message saying how urgent things are getting, baby's due in 2 months, child has now finished nursery as we thought we'd be in, our buyers are getting restless (white lie) and there's a lot of other things that are hanging on him. Naturally he hasn't replied, though he's seen it. I was against sending messages directly, but nothing's getting done

Wife was in tears in the middle of the night, the time scale of getting everything sorted is pretty real now. Even though he's been fairly upfront up to now, boy is he being a cunt now. Not responding to us, the Agents or his solicitors, nevermind ours.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 09:31:29 02-02-2018
  • Jeepers 2 Feb 2018 09:53:55 16,471 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry to hear it. It can be a real pain in the arse especially when youíve got a baby on the way. Good luck - hope you resolve it soon.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Feb 2018 10:18:32 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks mate. The contact blackout makes me think there's more going on than he wants to let on, but it really is in his best interests to get this house gone which is why it's so perplexing.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 2 Feb 2018 10:23:39 1,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    What's the advantage of using a BAR removal person? I'd have thought as long as anyone has insurance then you're okay. I moved my valuable stuff myself. I think I'd be packing myself, especially if a lot of the stuff is already done... but I'm a tight fisted northerner
  • Dougs 2 Feb 2018 10:25:04 84,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, we had that blackout once - turned out the house they were buying had fallen through and they were desperately looking for another. Instead of telling us that, they went dark, annoying us more than if they were up front.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Feb 2018 10:30:23 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is the thing, ignoring everyone helps no-one, if anything it's made it worse for him as we've given the ultimatum now. They are buying an old farm house that needs a hell of a lot of work doing to it, he's already put thousands down in searches, but has always said if it comes to it, they'd move in with his parents that live opposite this farm. Whether he's realised he's bitten off more than he can chew, I've no idea.

We've been pretty respectful towards them, offering to help out financially with the work he's had to do, not pushing for a move before Christmas as they wanted to stay there until the new year... They're living out of boxes as we are so it makes no sense why he'd stall and black everyone out.
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 Feb 2018 13:01:38 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Riddle me this.

Estate agents finally managed to get hold of him on Friday late on. Apparently his mortgage is still at the underwriters and can't be completed until this sale is completed. He's got the roof done this weekend between him and his Dad or some other fella. Said the building regs will be done next week. This is all after he said he couldnt afford to do it or lose time doing it and after ours and his solicitors saying his mortgage is clear and ready.

I left him a text yesterday, no answer, rang this afternoon, no answer, rang again and left a message. Nothing doing. As well as being a complete cunt, what the fuck is going on?
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2018 01:08:16 62,449 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    What's the advantage of using a BAR removal person? I'd have thought as long as anyone has insurance then you're okay. I moved my valuable stuff myself. I think I'd be packing myself, especially if a lot of the stuff is already done... but I'm a tight fisted northerner
    No idea really. Just seemed to be consensus to go for them.

Unrelated to that. NHBC inspection supposedly being done on Friday. Theoretically could be completed on the house in less than two weeks.

Can't tell if I even give a shit any more, but at least this way I don't lose a metric fuckload of money.
  • the_milkybar_kid 7 Feb 2018 11:45:57 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If all else fails, leave it to the women to thrash it out. Mrs got hold of his Mrs on Tuesday and it's certainly more positive now we've put a last date on it (said we're out if it's not done by the week commencing 26th Feb. S is my Wife, L is his Mrs.

Hi S! Didnít realise you had messaged me. The building regs are hopefully sorted now 😊! The only issue we have now is that we have had to spend some of our deposit money to sort it all out and D has had to have days off work to sort it which he is really stressed out about because heís lost a lot of money from that too. So we have been struggling. We are now waiting to hear back from our mortgage but this has caused issues with our future property and the sellers so we need to know where we stand with our new house. Should know more the end of the week. Hope this helps.

Thanks for getting back to me L. We are all up in the air at the minute. I understand that this has put you under further financial strain. We did offer to help out and offered £500 towards the work but heard nothing back. As I am sure you understand our time is running out as to when we can move. I am due in for a C Section at the beginning of April and we had hoped to be settled in by then. Could you just keep us updated with where you are at with your mortgage? Thanks again for getting back to me.

Yeh thank you very much for that! We will accept that if thatís alright with you?! Yes I have been worrying about when you were due! I was trying to work out how far along you were from the first viewing! Well Iím hoping it should be all over soon and I am never moving house again !

No after this neither are we! Well speak to D and we will arrange it through the solicitors, obviously we donít want to lose the house after all this, but equally we donít want to lose £500 if it all falls through. We have told the agents that the deadline for us is the week commencing the 26th Feb. due to the baby. If we arenít moving we need to get our house back to normal and look elsewhere in the near future.

Hi! If itís alright with you can we aim for the end of that week 26th Feb, it was convenient last time because I had a week off work but going to have to change some shifts around. So can we aim for completion date of Friday 2nd March. Thatís the best week I can do with my shifts this month.

That week is good for us as I am off work, if not before. We really need to have that week as a cut off though, canít really go beyond that. Can you keep us updated with where you are at with your house and your mortgage? Do you know if the inspector has been out and signed off the building regs?

Yeh Iíll change my shifts around at work for that week. Yes weíve got the certificate now 🙂! Donít know why they didnít tell us they wanted it sooner instead of 2 days before completion! And they want all this money off us! Makes you mad!

I know I donít know why it wasnít raised earlier. We were all packed and ready to go. Do you think everything will be ok with the house you are buying?
    I know the estate agent has tried to contact D today but was unable to. If that date is ok with both of you can you ask him to let them know as they will need to confirm it with our buyers.

I hope so, they are just playing the same game as yours, receiving what they ask for and then leaving it 2 months before they raise any issues 😂! Well Iím working all day tomorrow and Thursday but Friday morning I will ring everyone and then Iíll message you with an update. Iíll ask D to speak to the Estate Agents tomorrow
    Starting to feel like there's light at the end.
  • The_Goon 7 Feb 2018 12:32:31 733 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Better than I - I would have said the £500 is off the table now. Sounds like a bonkers state of affairs frankly.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 7 Feb 2018 12:50:27 754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    That is a criminal use of explanation marks.
  • The_Goon 7 Feb 2018 13:00:40 733 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    That is a criminal use of explanation marks.
    About as criminal as saying "explanation marks" instead of "exclamation marks". :p
  • the_milkybar_kid 7 Feb 2018 13:26:50 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @The_Goon I would have liked to leave it but wasn't aware that she was messaging the woman. Originally it was a gesture that we wanted to make to make them understand that we really wanted the house and hoped that the generosity would have been reciprocated by way of not being dickheads, now it's more of a carrot to try and get them the fuck out.
  • Page

of 175 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.