Advice on house hunting Page 160

• Page

of 161 First / Last

• the_milkybar_kid 4 Dec 2017 19:57:45 6,161 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My Dad's always sworn by Worcester Bosch. They're a bit more expensive but definitely worth it. We've had one in for 5 years now and it's never skipped a beat, warms up in no time.
  • robc84 4 Dec 2017 20:22:44 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We were going with a Vailant, but our plumber got a deal on the Worcester Bosch so it was the cheaper option. Sounds like a good decision:)
  • Psychotext 4 Dec 2017 23:13:27 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going with whatever they're fitting to the place.
  • disusedgenius 5 Dec 2017 12:37:06 8,678 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hum, apparently my buyer's bank are after "confirmation of testing of the cladding in line with DCLG requirements" as my building has Aluminium cladding on there. Do you think they're referring to that testing they were doing with Greenfell, or something from when they were built?
  • whatfruitlivesagain 5 Dec 2017 12:44:08 589 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I imagine it is to do with Grenfell. If cheaper flammable cladding has been installed the bank may not lend on it.

Testing is going on a lot of apartments blocks as insurer's will not insure buildings based on the buildings regulations sign off. Buildings regs were signed off properly at Grenfell despite cheaper cladding being installed.
  • disusedgenius 5 Dec 2017 12:48:41 8,678 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A bit odd though as that only mattered for buildings 6+ storeys high, whereas mine is only 3. Maybe they just didn't spot that.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 5 Dec 2017 12:55:38 589 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    It will be just an inquiry to raise on a standard list which they send to all solicitors who act for them.
  • The_Goon 5 Dec 2017 17:21:06 622 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    If any of you new home owners ever need to replace your boiler, don't get an Alpha. We've inherited an Alpha 25c with some shitty fucking wireless controller. It's shite.

I'm no expert in SEO, but just in case: Alpha boilers are shit. Shit, shit, shit.
    Lol. Have no experience with Alpha but quoting in any case because I found your post funny :D.
  • robc84 7 Dec 2017 12:49:34 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I decided to get the artex tested, and it does contain Chrysoltile (white asbestos). Luckily I had already told the plasterer not to touch it and just to skim over it.

The guy who did the testing did say that it's only really dangerous if you start sanding it down, even chipping it would be unlikely to release the fibres in any dangerous levels. However the advice was to just leave it and plaster over it, which we are doing.

Anyway, I'm still worrying about a couple of things. Firstly, we've only really hidden the 'problem', and am wondering if we ever came to sell, should we mention it to perspective buyers. Secondly, I need to figure out whether it is safe to drill holes etc. I suppose I'll have to take some separate advice.

Nothing but trouble these bloody houses ;)
  • robc84 7 Dec 2017 12:51:14 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh and I'm looking forward to telling the plasterer who said it 100% won't contain it.

He is going to be removing the living room coving for us before plastering so he can be extra careful with that now!
  • monkehhh 7 Dec 2017 13:04:34 4,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been having fun with emergency plumbers today - one didn't have availability for two weeks :)
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2017 14:28:30 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Outside nearly done...

to

Have realised that we got our garden calculations wrong, so that's smaller than we wanted. :(

My office seems a bit bigger than I remember though, so that's something.

Lounge is still ridiculously large. Utterly pointless.
  • robc84 7 Dec 2017 18:55:20 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Psychotext

Is your wallet also too small for all your Ł50 notes? ;)

Your place looks massive, and very nice :)
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2017 19:27:22 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm literally the poorest person I know right now. I've had to put a shitload of money together extremely quickly (I completely forgot I'd have to cover like, Ł25k worth of shit on top of what the house cost).
  • freddymercurystwin 7 Dec 2017 20:42:50 1,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psychotext SERIOUSLY, STOP FUCKING WHINGING FFS.
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2017 21:18:45 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From the reaction I'm assuming you haven't really got that it's mostly tongue in cheek?

Also, NO!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Dec 2017 06:40:20 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Paid all my money to the solicitors. Still packing boxes. Ordered a rug doctor to clean the place (they had a dog, we've got cats). Ordered white goods (that was pricey, but it will be nice to have a dishwasher again). Picking up the keys on Tuesday.

Really struggling to maintain interest at work.
  • robc84 8 Dec 2017 06:45:48 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood

Exciting times. Been there on the work thing too.

Good luck!
  • robc84 8 Dec 2017 20:11:56 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Plastering done, so no more (visible) artex \o/

Looks so much better, even before painting.

Looking to get painting done and floors down in kids rooms before Christmas. Progress being made! :)
  • Psychotext 8 Dec 2017 20:37:39 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone was mentioning Ottomans here previously, but as a bad thing. Any particular reason to avoid them? I was thinking they might work well for us in a guest bedroom (the storage in them would be useful).
  • robc84 8 Dec 2017 20:45:15 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Someone was mentioning Ottomans here previously, but as a bad thing. Any particular reason to avoid them?
    Ignore them, they're just racists. Probably voted Brexit. ;)
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Dec 2017 21:25:38 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Plastering done, so no more (visible) artex \o/

Looks so much better, even before painting.

Looking to get painting done and floors down in kids rooms before Christmas. Progress being made! :)
    Floors in the kids rooms will stop you from killing or seriously maiming Santa, so i think it's fairly essential.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Dec 2017 21:30:00 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Psychotext we're buying a day bed from ikea which has storage and also a trundle. On top of that, we're buying a sofa which morphs into a double bed and has storage in it as well. I think any extra storage in a modern house is a good thing.
  • Dougs 8 Dec 2017 23:11:42 83,918 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Old or new, the more storage the better imo. We have next to no storage in our place, and it's a bit of an issue. Kids just accumulate crap and there's nowhere to put it all!
  • Psychotext 9 Dec 2017 02:37:47 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool. Will go that way then.

We considered a sofa bed, but to be honest the room would pretty much only ever be used for guests, so it seemed a bit pointless.
  • reggy72 9 Dec 2017 09:27:53 630 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext Your new build is coming along quite quick, I assume that 1st internal fix is done and it is well onto 2nd fix wet works such as plastering?
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Dec 2017 10:38:08 21,384 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Secondly, I need to figure out whether it is safe to drill holes etc. I suppose I'll have to take some separate advice.
    It is not safe to drill holes into a surface that contains asbestos. So the guidelines say.

Morally, you should definitely tell any future purchaser if you skim over it. If it is such a largr concern to you then would it be possible to have it removed by experts?

Edit: oh, two days late 😃

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 10:40:14 09-12-2017
  • Psychotext 9 Dec 2017 11:29:13 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reggy72 wrote:
    @Psychotext Your new build is coming along quite quick, I assume that 1st internal fix is done and it is well onto 2nd fix wet works such as plastering?
    I went in the other day and they seemed to have all the cables and pipes in place (water / gas etc). Is that what you mean? I don't know anything about this stuff!

On the plastering, I'm tempted to see if I can get them to leave the space under the stairs uncovered (there's a small section between the stairs and the toilet) as there's not really anywhere to put shoes.

Unrelated, I've found a table that I think will work for the end of the kitchen (dining room is becoming my office). It's a very tight fit, but extended I can just about get 6 or 7 around it (it starts square and can be extended to round).

Not sure which leg type I prefer though...

vs

Have started going through making a list of what should go in each room / what we need to buy for them (it's going to be expensive). As there's no storage cupboards we're probably going to use part of one of the bedrooms to put the hoover in etc. Might look at temporary partitions so it doesn't look terrible (maybe make something out of Ikea bits).

Why do modern houses come with so little in the way of handy nooks and crannies?

Oh, and I know I've been banned from complaining... but on measuring it turns out that the garden is a third of the size of what I currently have. Will be the smallest garden of any place I've lived in. Not ideal given the plan was to get dogs. :(

Edited by Psychotext at 11:39:11 09-12-2017
  • elstoof 9 Dec 2017 11:44:56 18,836 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dogs will fuck your garden up, we don’t let ours out there any more apart from a piss before bed time and I’ll put an end to that once they’re not puppies any more. They understand toilet training more when you take them out for a walk at set times anyways rather than just shitting in the garden whenever they feel like it

Edited by elstoof at 11:45:49 09-12-2017
  • GuybrushThreepwood 9 Dec 2017 11:53:07 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Psychotext if you're not sure on the legs, then get the straight one (first picture). It looks structurally stronger and as I'm busy fixing the ornate legs on my dinning table, I am all into structure and strength.

I'm also all into wardrobe boxes. Neat little things.

Then I'm going to be all into wardrobe dismantling... Wish me luck.
  • Page

of 161 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.