Advice on house hunting Page 159

  • Page

    of 161 First / Last

  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Dec 2017 23:02:43 6,161 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood Nice one! It'll soon come around. How long has it taken you to box up? I'm fucking dreading actually moving.

    @TPReview Congratulations. Just get the one that boils the quickest, that's my view!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 3 Dec 2017 04:04:36 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @TPReview congrats mate :)

    I was going to say I've got a subscription to Which if you need kettle advice but Which isn't all that as I'm finding out and I'm a little busy myself right now. We're renting so I'm going to need to get white goods. Will be lovely to have a dishwasher again.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 3 Dec 2017 04:17:09 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @the_milkybar_kid i ordered boxes and packing paper about a month ago from Amazon. I've spent the best part of the last three weekends sorting the attic and shed and packing the stuff out of the things the removal men will be taking. So give yourself at least a full week and start early. Otherwise you'll just be shoving shit in boxes in a panic. Also prioritise and don't get distracted by the stuff you're packing.

    I've got men in to shift the furniture and the boxes we pack, but i'm having to pack the units and take down swing sets and such like. Don't forget you'll also need to do redirections, utilities, finances and all the other fun stuff like cleaning, so get on with it as soon as. I've got almost three weeks off after we complete, so I'm be finishing up and cleaning this place afterwards.

    Fwiw, I think I've moved house about 30 times in my life and I'm really hoping this is the last time as I'm not getting any younger. A few of those moves I was a kid for, so little more than an annoying spectator however.
  • Dougs 3 Dec 2017 05:57:50 83,918 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid seriously, get packers in. It is my one big regret when I last moved and I would not move myself again. It's just not worth it, when a couple of hundred quid can remove at least one of the stresses of the day.
  • Jeepers 3 Dec 2017 06:52:39 16,426 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed. Getting people to pack was worth every penny, especially with a two year-old running around.

    Good luck both!
  • Syrette 3 Dec 2017 10:43:40 49,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TPReview wrote:
    they had put new loo roll
    Off tangent a bit, but are you going to review it for us?
  • robc84 3 Dec 2017 11:12:04 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    TPReview wrote:
    they had put new loo roll
    Off tangent a bit, but are you going to review it for us?
    :)
  • robc84 3 Dec 2017 20:06:00 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So after a bit of investigation, it seems what the plasterer was saying is that if we don't take the coving down he'll have to chip the artex as to skim over would take too thick a layer and overlap the coving. Which makes sense.

    He's saying he can take the plaster coving down without disturbing the artex (the artex is not under the coving) and then skim over. So that seems like the best option as it gets the living room coving down at the same time.

    Time to move on to the next problem, whatever that may be :)
  • reggy72 3 Dec 2017 20:39:22 630 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84 Artex is nasty shit, apparently the early stuff when it became popular in the early 80's contains sizable amounts of asbestos, so chipping it to form a flat surface would not come recommended.

    Our old house from around eight years ago looked like the Artex world championship took place upon the ceiling. the solution for us was to overboard and re skim and replace the coving.
  • robc84 3 Dec 2017 21:27:38 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @reggy72

    I've read it has small amounts of white asbestos in it. Either way it's best left alone.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 3 Dec 2017 21:33:59 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    You can steam artex off the walls and ceiling quite easy and it's safe if it contains asbestos while wet.

    Spent the day doing more packing and dismantled my shed so we can take that to use in the new place for bikes. I'm a bit achey.
  • TPReview 3 Dec 2017 21:36:06 1,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still haven't bought (or reviewed) a kettle, but we have got pretty much everything else. Replaced my first light fitting today which was a big deal as I've never been one for DIY, but now we've been putting up blinds and installing all kinds of gadgets. Got a Roomba and some Phillips Hue lights, might be going overboard now we finally own our own place but it's all pretty exciting and it costs so much less than renting. I'm sure the tories will be glad to know their stamp duty money went on automating my house.

    Edited by TPReview at 21:36:19 03-12-2017
  • henro_ben 3 Dec 2017 22:10:07 2,330 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    You can steam artex off the walls and ceiling quite easy and it's safe if it contains asbestos while wet.

    Spent the day doing more packing and dismantled my shed so we can take that to use in the new place for bikes. I'm a bit achey.
    Having steamed artex off the walls and ceilings of three rooms in my house I can definitely say it's anything but easy! A horrible hot, messy pig of a job...

    But yeah, it does at least keep anything nasty that might be there safe & sound in the matrix when it returns to being a liquid.

    Horrible stuff, should be banned!
  • robc84 3 Dec 2017 22:41:02 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently it's not recommended to try any kind of removal yourself.

    Not even sure it's proper 'artex' to be honest. It may be 'popcorn'. Not sure if there is a difference - I think the material is mostly the same. Apparently it was banned in '78, but in order to not put a strain on the manufacturers and installers, they let them use their existing stocks so it was still being installed through the 80s. Even though they knew it was harmful. That was nice of them.

    Either way it's being skimmed over then being left the hell alone!
  • Psychotext 3 Dec 2017 23:21:38 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Went to a friend's housewarming party on the weekend and he's bought pretty much my dream home. So fucked off about it all now. Were it not for the location requirement fucking us over we could have gone that way instead. =/

    I guess all I can do now is try and get past the initial debts of buying this place and look to move in a few years.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Dec 2017 07:30:28 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Psychotext they'll always be someone with a better house than you or a better location or a better something. Your house looks great and I wish I could afford something like that and choose what I want in it and where.

    Ignore what others have and enjoy what you've got and appreciate it. Besides, your mate's is probably sat on top of an ancient Indian burial site. I'm my experience, all the best looking houses are....

    Either that or he'll have slopping floors, walls of straw and asbestos ceilings. :)

    Edited by GuybrushThreepwood at 07:32:11 04-12-2017
  • Psychotext 4 Dec 2017 10:53:22 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh I get that there will always be better. It's just the exact layout that we needed but couldn't get. Annoying.
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 Dec 2017 11:46:15 6,161 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @the_milkybar_kid i ordered boxes and packing paper about a month ago from Amazon. I've spent the best part of the last three weekends sorting the attic and shed and packing the stuff out of the things the removal men will be taking. So give yourself at least a full week and start early. Otherwise you'll just be shoving shit in boxes in a panic. Also prioritise and don't get distracted by the stuff you're packing.

    I've got men in to shift the furniture and the boxes we pack, but i'm having to pack the units and take down swing sets and such like. Don't forget you'll also need to do redirections, utilities, finances and all the other fun stuff like cleaning, so get on with it as soon as. I've got almost three weeks off after we complete, so I'm be finishing up and cleaning this place afterwards.

    Fwiw, I think I've moved house about 30 times in my life and I'm really hoping this is the last time as I'm not getting any younger. A few of those moves I was a kid for, so little more than an annoying spectator however.
    Cheers mate. Our lads staying my Mums on Friday so we're going to start moving stuff from the loft into my old room at my parents house. She's only round the corner from where we're moving to so won't be too much of a ball ache when the time comes. Can pretty much empty my computer room, take some shelves down and fill the holes and most of the stuff in the attic is boxed, so can be moved.


    Dougs wrote:
    @the_milkybar_kid seriously, get packers in. It is my one big regret when I last moved and I would not move myself again. It's just not worth it, when a couple of hundred quid can remove at least one of the stresses of the day.
    I've got a touch of OCD and I don't like the thought of people packing up my stuff, it's going to make me sweat having all our furniture loaded up. I can't explain it I know it's completely irrational, just wouldn't able to do that.
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 Dec 2017 11:48:56 6,161 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext You're moving into a palace! I know what you mean though. I never thought we'd be able to afford a place back near home and always got a pang of the jellies when a few of my mates moved nearby up there.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Dec 2017 11:56:11 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @the_milkybar_kid make sure you get "proper" paper for wrapping. It doesn't cost much but it saves a lot in the end.

    Cost me £280 for removal men and about £50 for packaging. I've had full removals in before and they are quicker and better than I am (there's also more of them), but they charge a hell of a lot of money for that (over £1000). You can get the man with the van types to pack for ~£300 extra if they'll do that sort of thing, but ours didn't and I didn't want it either. There's a lot of stuff I can buy for £300!
  • disusedgenius 4 Dec 2017 12:04:29 8,678 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    I've got a touch of OCD and I don't like the thought of people packing up my stuff, it's going to make me sweat having all our furniture loaded up. I can't explain it I know it's completely irrational, just wouldn't able to do that.
    I think the only thing I'm going to pack and do separately is my Warhammer stuff. I don't even use the bloody things any more...

    Apart from that, the only annoying thing is that I can't purge all the shit I haven't used for 4 years as easily. But I guess I'll just do a run through if/when I actually sign the bloody contracts.
  • Psychotext 4 Dec 2017 13:08:23 62,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll handle my PC, some delicates / valuables myself... but the rest can be done by the removals people. I don't have time for that shit.

    Still don't have a clue how I'm going to move the fish. =/
  • Dougs 4 Dec 2017 14:04:12 83,918 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Fair enough!
  • Jeepers 4 Dec 2017 16:51:45 16,426 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If any of you new home owners ever need to replace your boiler, don't get an Alpha. We've inherited an Alpha 25c with some shitty fucking wireless controller. It's shite.

    I'm no expert in SEO, but just in case: Alpha boilers are shit. Shit, shit, shit.
  • robc84 4 Dec 2017 17:06:01 11,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Jeepers

    And the boiler problems begin. Been there mate :)

    I'm £5k worse off now....
  • Dougs 4 Dec 2017 18:22:23 83,918 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My nephew told me that Worcester Bosch were the best. Easily laid out so engineers don't have to faff about too much and if you get an accredited installer, they give you a 10 year guarantee.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2017 18:42:07 21,384 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dougs aye, I have heard the same thing a few times from plumbers and landlords.

    Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:42:30 04-12-2017
  • Jeepers 4 Dec 2017 19:27:06 16,426 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    My nephew told me that Worcester Bosch were the best. Easily laid out so engineers don't have to faff about too much and if you get an accredited installer, they give you a 10 year guarantee.
    That's handy to know - cheers.

    Our situation isn't helped by the previous owners boxing the fucking thing in and plastering round all the joints so you can't actually get into the fucker. Which makes me doubt the servicing certificates they showed us.

    Ah well. Small problems in the scheme of things.
  • Page

    of 161 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.