Advice on house hunting Page 117

• Page

of 133 First / Last

• andytheadequate 16 May 2017 20:27:47 8,977 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oakworth and surrounding area is lovely, enjoy!

Those fees sound reasonable to me.
  • -HairyArse 16 May 2017 20:37:14 960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Oakworth and surrounding area is lovely, enjoy!

Those fees sound reasonable to me.
    I work in, and have lived in Haworth, which was my preference but there was nothing I liked and this is perfect. Only 1.5 miles from work, too.
  • robc84 19 May 2017 20:45:27 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All gone a bit quiet recently. Not much coming on. Got 1 viewing tomorrow, not feeling too positive about it though. Just going to cross it off the list more than anything. You never know though. Sometimes these are the ones that surprise you!

Got all the paperwork sorted with the solicitors today. Want to make sure our buyer can't accuse us of dragging our feet. Got to find somewhere quick though or we'll be back with parents mid August!
  • ZuluHero 19 May 2017 22:10:01 5,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    -HairyArse wrote:
    I appear to have bought a house. Bit more than I wanted to pay for it but it needs nothing to it and looks even better in the flesh.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65788445.html

I've been quoted 700 for solicitors fees to sell my house and 1400 for buying the new one. Does that seem reasonable?
    I'm totally jealous of this house. And the price! Well done :)
  • Jeepers 20 May 2017 07:19:51 16,082 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    All gone a bit quiet recently. Not much coming on. Got 1 viewing tomorrow, not feeling too positive about it though. Just going to cross it off the list more than anything. You never know though. Sometimes these are the ones that surprise you!

Got all the paperwork sorted with the solicitors today. Want to make sure our buyer can't accuse us of dragging our feet. Got to find somewhere quick though or we'll be back with parents mid August!
    Bar the back with the parents thing, we're in exactly the same boat. The market is really quiet where we are at the moment so choices of places to buy are slim. Really don't want to rent and move twice...
  • robc84 20 May 2017 07:34:08 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Viewed a lot of places now, but everything seems to have one thing that makes it unworkable for us. We don't want to settle, so we'll just have to hold out.

Our house is out there!
  • Jeepers 20 May 2017 08:10:51 16,082 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frustrating innit? Good luck with your hunt - in a year we'll have forgotten all the pain.

Or be sharing a house with our parents...
  • robc84 20 May 2017 08:14:52 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah we've been so close on a lot of houses, but they'll have 1 thing we can't get on with. Tiny garden, tiny 3rd room etc.

Living with parents with 2 kids will be a living hell :(
  • Jeepers 20 May 2017 08:25:48 16,082 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh. Both sets of parent sleep dropping unsubtle hints about living with them and we're running out of polite ways to say no. On the one hand, free baby sitting. On the other - parents :(

God love them of course but I'd go crazy in under a day.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 May 2017 08:41:54 21,145 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @robc84 at some point you will have to consider compromising or increasing your budget, if possible. With such a shitty market at the moment anything absolutely brilliant will be snapped up by someone with more money, either that or there just is not the house you want within your budget.

The house we bought is not big enough for us and we are just two people in a two bed house but it is five minutes from the train station, has a decent size garden and as yet hasn't fallen down.

Whatever house you choose, as long as it isn't listed, can be expanded down the line as well.
  • robc84 20 May 2017 08:56:04 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Heh. Both sets of parent sleep dropping unsubtle hints about living with them and we're running out of polite ways to say no. On the one hand, free baby sitting. On the other - parents :(

God love them of course but I'd go crazy in under a day.
    Hah, I know the feeling!
  • robc84 20 May 2017 08:58:24 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

We are willing to compromise, but when a third bedroom won't even fit the baby's cot in it won't work. Garden needs to be at least big enough to get a slide, football goal etc. You'd be surprised what passes for a 'garden' in some of these houses :)
  • rocketsndinos 21 May 2017 12:25:41 7 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Great feedback and experience to be had reading this thread.

One thing I could suggest, is to consider the costs of selling to buy bigger. Houses are not true assets if you are to live in them. They become probably be biggest liabilities one could own. Often we sell a smaller place to raise a family and such by moving into a bigger home.

In some places, the problem is that the fees, taxes, additional services fees, and additional taxes that pile during and after the sale of a property, could actually be so big that it would be worth considering renting the old location instead, and selling at a much later time in life.

This does come with the responsibility of becoming a landlord, and the expenses of up keeping the location, but the extra revenue is extra none the less. Now if value goes up, and you're in a good location for renters, this could be a great investment, and it turns your old home into a true asset, instead of a liability.

Now of course, you must be able to afford it, to take on a second mortgage and all that, but having that additional income will help cover all mortgage payments.
  • elstoof 21 May 2017 12:40:12 18,190 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not such great advice when you consider that most people need to sell the first house in order to finance the second, if you've got that kind of liquid cash to sink into a second home then you don't really need to rely on the rental income. You'll also be liable to pay capital gains tax on the sale of the first house as you own two properties
  • -HairyArse 22 May 2017 21:28:36 960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I'm buying a house, as mentioned earlier. But I have a small problem.

My house is 'Sold', the house I'm buying is 'Under Offer'. My solicitors have sent a draft copy of the contracts to their solicitors and everything is progressing nicely.

The problem is that my current buildings insurance has just run out. They've actually automatically renewed it and taken the payment even though it's not due until the 25th. But if I keep the policy, I'm concerned they'll charge me a lot in fees to move it to the new property.

They've already advised me it's 25 in admin fees plus any additional premium costs. I can cancel up to the 25th and get the money back but I'm not sure what to do about cover in the short-term.

It could take another 1 or 3 months before everything goes through. Does anyone know of any short-term buildings insurance providers? I've had a quick look but mainly drawn a blank so far. Has anyone else been in this position before
  • elstoof 22 May 2017 21:31:55 18,190 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just cancel the policy once you've sold, pay the 25 admin fee and get refunded the rest. Everyone selling their house has to cancel their year long policy. You won't be able to transfer as far as I'm aware, just terminate one and start the other - you'll have two running at once for a couple of weeks because once you've exchanged you should really insure the next house too

Edited by elstoof at 21:34:22 22-05-2017
  • -HairyArse 22 May 2017 21:33:05 960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    25 admin fee plus 30% to cancel, I believe.

If I could just get a rolling monthly insurance policy that would be ideal.
  • elstoof 22 May 2017 21:43:39 18,190 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or cancel this policy before it starts and choose an insurer at gocompare that doesn't have any cancellation fees. I don't think, and I highly doubt, any rolling monthly house insurance exists

Edited by elstoof at 21:44:22 22-05-2017
  • Dougs 22 May 2017 22:09:02 82,724 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pretty sure I just transferred mine over, with an additional payment to cover the time after exchange and before completion for the new place. Something like that anyway....
  • Psychotext 22 May 2017 22:59:25 61,507 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bizarre how few houses are turning up now. Completely and utterly dead.
  • Dougs 23 May 2017 06:27:23 82,724 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's almost as if there's some masses forthcoming event that is having a serious impact on the confidence of individual's ability to spend money and invest.
  • elstoof 23 May 2017 09:52:16 18,190 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saving it all for the wondrous opportunities that'll suddenly be available, you mean
  • Psychotext 23 May 2017 11:14:22 61,507 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quite a few being discounted... shame they're all shit.

As for the election, it's going to make precisely fuck all difference so I don't see why people would bother waiting. Nothing is going to change in any meaningful way before the next tax year.
  • Jeepers 23 May 2017 13:46:58 16,082 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seller has accepted our offer.

Yay for crippling, lifelong debt months prior to the economicalypse.
  • Dougs 23 May 2017 15:30:44 82,724 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Woot!
  • Gearskin 23 May 2017 15:36:37 2,920 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It's almost as if there's some masses forthcoming event that is having a serious impact on the confidence of individual's ability to spend money and invest.
    Im looking forward to some of that negative equity action.

Id accept it, if it helps first time buyers. I was one a couple of years ago. Its tough. But Ill happily stay put and ride that out.
  • robc84 23 May 2017 16:49:43 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Seller has accepted our offer.

Yay for crippling, lifelong debt months prior to the economicalypse.
    Great news!

One has come on today. In our price range, looks perfect. Going to be lots of competition though.

Seeing it on Saturday.
  • mrpon 23 May 2017 17:38:45 33,360 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Seeing it on Saturday.
    ?!?! Get round there asap!!!
  • robc84 23 May 2017 18:38:04 11,607 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't get there before then unfortunately. My mrs could maybe go without me, but I'll still want to see it before putting in any offers.
  • Dougs 23 May 2017 19:17:40 82,724 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If she can get there and loves it, I say go for it anyway! After all, it's not as if we have a say in all this anyway....
  • Page

of 133 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.