• kalel 8 Sep 2013 12:24:51 86,757 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You don't get to play that card.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Sep 2013 12:29:20 16,920 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    But evidence suggests we all came from africa from a very small group of hominids.
    Actually there is some suggestion now that it wasn't quite that simple, I was reading about it in New Scientist a couple of months back but I can't find the article and my memory can't dredge up what they have discovered but it's something to do with there being two streams of evolution acting at the same time, one through African and one through Asia. Might be worth having a look for the information if it interests you.

You are a factory of sadness.

• RyanDS 8 Sep 2013 12:34:57 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    sajasanman wrote:
    But evidence suggests we all came from africa from a very small group of hominids.
    Actually there is some suggestion now that it wasn't quite that simple, I was reading about it in New Scientist a couple of months back but I can't find the article and my memory can't dredge up what they have discovered but it's something to do with there being two streams of evolution acting at the same time, one through African and one through Asia. Might be worth having a look for the information if it interests you.
    The Chinese have been claiming that for years. There is no evidence for it at all apart from the fact they want to be special and claim a direct line of ancestry that never left China.

Edit: For political reasons.

Edited by RyanDS at 12:38:55 08-09-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Sep 2013 12:37:08 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But evidence suggests we all came from africa from a very small group of hominids. We may look quite drastically different: from aboriginis to Japanese, but genetically we are practically identical.
    Evolution theory suggests that we all crawled out from the ocean at some point, including all mammals and more.

Genetically there are quite some differences between every individual human as well. That guy is lactose intolerant and that other guy is stronger the next guy is faster or slower and so on...

Evolution doesn't seem to be spearheaded towards one single kind of organism.
  • RyanDS 8 Sep 2013 12:38:23 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    But evidence suggests we all came from africa from a very small group of hominids. We may look quite drastically different: from aboriginis to Japanese, but genetically we are practically identical.
    Evolution theory suggests that we all crawled out from the ocean at some point, including all mammals and more.

Genetically there are quite some differences between every individual human as well. That guy is lactose intolerant and that other guy is stronger the next guy is faster or slower and so on...

Evolution doesn't seem to be spearheaded towards one single kind of organism.
    Genetically there is more variance within each "race" than there is between races.
  • Moot_Point 8 Sep 2013 12:41:09 3,958 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    @Dangerous_Dan

Nah, each creed of man has its own origin. There is no one point of origin.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Mr_Sleep 8 Sep 2013 12:44:05 16,920 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Doesn't that kind of suggest to you that we're all different so being appreciative of those differences when conducting yourself is the only reasonable thing to do?

Alternatively: Those fucking lactose intolerant people being different not drinking the same milk as everyone else, where do they get off? Next you'll be telling me they sell lactose alternatives in shops? You literally couldn't make it up!

We're all different, being politically correct is not an attempt to homogenise everything and everyone it is just an attempt to take account of people's differences and not judge them by appearance and preconceptions.

• RyanDS 8 Sep 2013 12:44:24 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    sajasanman wrote:
    @Dangerous_Dan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Sep 2013 12:44:36 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't? I don't have that privilege?
    Good for me, that I don't need it.

In your last comment you tried some cheap character assassination without arguing. I'd expect that from some medieval mob on a witch hunt but as it turns out evolution or behavioral training - take your pick - still hasn't advanced very far in these enlightened times.

If something upsets you, feel free to say so but if you want to manipulate me or others then be a bit more creative about it.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 12:44:59 08-09-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Sep 2013 12:47:53 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Genetically there is more variance within each "race" than there is between races.
    Could very well be. It's the same for who is running faster.
    You'll find a cripple and a capable athlete in each group and that difference in speed will definitely be wider than between the averages of those groups.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 12:51:05 08-09-2013
  • Inertia 8 Sep 2013 12:51:13 677 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here's a better way of arguing Dangerous_Dan. Pick a trait you think is exclusive to a race, something your lion has but the sheep could never have, and then bring some scientific data to buttress the argument of superiority rather then just using an argument without any verifiable terms to argue with. We know why you think what you do? But can you reason the argument rather than just keep stating it.

And saying things are cultural or social is tantamount to saying absolutely nothing. Can you just point to any German and say this is what he will believe because he lives in Germany?
  • Moot_Point 8 Sep 2013 12:52:03 3,958 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    sajasanman wrote:
    @Dangerous_Dan

Theories. Everyone has one! ;)

================================================================================

• RyanDS 8 Sep 2013 12:56:54 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    sajasanman wrote:
    @Dangerous_Dan

Theories. Everyone has one! ;)
    It's not a theory. It's a scientific fact, you can track mitochondrial DNA more than you would expect.
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Sep 2013 13:10:25 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We're all different, being politically correct is not an attempt to homogenise everything and everyone it is just an attempt to take account of people's differences and not judge them by appearance and preconceptions.
    Yes, we are all different. I don't stop at the 'race' level or nationality level. I'm discriminative about the individual too ... as probably most are.

To me there is a balance, a balance which comes down to group size.
    If there are a billion chinese then it doesn't mean very much to be chinese. If there were only 10 chinese people then an individual would make up 10% of that groups behaviour/culture/whatever you want to call it.

There seems to be a natural tendency to form groups - to seperate from the rest. This happens on various levels. There is the level of species, then there is the subgroup of race (which is getting more blurry since the last century). And that goes down all the way to a family.

Each lower level is tighter related within on a genetic level.
    That's only the genetic level now, a different area would be the memetic one, the morals and standards of a group.

Anyway, the formation of groups seems to be a natural phenomenon. And I think there are numerous benefits for having groups.

There are also benefits to unification, of course.

In my view the trend for unification has extended itself quite a bit already and that's why we are seeing more nationalistic tendencies flaring up in many countries.

What do the rebels in Syria want? They want their own way.
    What do those groups in Egypt want...and so on.

And yes, I'm totally filled with hate for saying all those hateful things. *rolls eyes*
  • Moot_Point 8 Sep 2013 13:12:29 3,958 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @RyanDS

If that's what you believe, fair play. I, however, do not believe the scientists hold the answer to everything, just because they use a microscope.

• FWB 8 Sep 2013 13:13:06 44,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ohh dear.
  • RyanDS 8 Sep 2013 13:16:15 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @RyanDS

If that's what you believe, fair play. I, however, do not believe the scientists hold the answer to everything, just because they use a microscope.
    They don't hold an answer to everything, however they do have an answer here. Beleiving anything different is just conspiracy theory.

Do you want me to explain how they know this? I can cite the evidence and the ways they are examined.

Of course this is obviously less than the evidence you hold I assume? Mind sharing it?
  • Moot_Point 8 Sep 2013 13:21:04 3,958 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Beleiving anything different is just conspiracy theory.

Haha! Really?! :lol:

• FWB 8 Sep 2013 13:21:53 44,072 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Science is a way of thinking based on empirical evidence. If you aren't going to subscribe to it, and believe in non empirical "stuff" as your proof, then there is nothing a rational person can provide you with to convince you. There's no point in engaging in a debate. Can't argue against someone who believes in "magic".
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Sep 2013 13:24:15 16,920 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan It seems to me that you need to work on expressing just what you mean as your most recent post is just a load of rambling nonsense. There doesn't seem to be much of a conclusion or anything past saying people are different but they're the same and then you make some spurious connections between all kinds of things. I literally have no idea what you're on about and if you expect people to discuss things with you it helps if they actually have any idea what it is you're getting at.

• Moot_Point 8 Sep 2013 13:28:17 3,958 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @FWB Very true. Still, I find it amusing.

• Inertia 8 Sep 2013 13:32:22 677 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RyanDS

Reading the code and matching segments can suggest connections but too many possible considerations impose themselves to say for sure if the connection is a valid one. You can use accurate data in a theory that is incorrect. And vice versa.

And this kind of science is more about plausibility than testing a hypothesis through experiment. Sometimes the dots are so manifold and diverse that lots of pictures can be drawn without contradiction of any data.

But I would say it seems more likely that we originated from a single location and then diversified as various tribes or families migrated over the generations and adapted to different climatic conditions and diet. Proving it though would be difficult.
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Sep 2013 13:37:20 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    Here's a better way of arguing Dangerous_Dan. Pick a trait you think is exclusive to a race, something your lion has but the sheep could never have, and then bring some scientific data to buttress the argument of superiority rather then just using an argument without any verifiable terms to argue with. We know why you think what you do? But can you reason the argument rather than just keep stating it.

And saying things are cultural or social is tantamount to saying absolutely nothing. Can you just point to any German and say this is what he will believe because he lives in Germany?
    Why does anything have to be exclusive to a race?
    And what does that have to do with superiority? Superiority is a value judgement and so it can be applied to things which can be compared. Like the average height. Now if you are looking for the tallest race and call them superior then that's your value judgement. Somebody else could be looking for the smallest one and call it superior. Is 8 feet 'superior' to 6 feet or to 4 feet? Why? Depends for what purpose - Basketball? Limbo dancing?

I think you have no idea what I am thinking. You seem to want to attribute malice to what I'm saying, even if there is none. And that, says something about You.

Can you just point to any German and say this is what he will believe because he lives in Germany?
    You gotta be kidding...
  • Khanivor 8 Sep 2013 13:37:53 40,490 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Someone needs to fine tune their medications.
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Sep 2013 13:48:42 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Someone needs to fine tune their medications.
    I don't have that craving for feel-good pills.
  • Inertia 8 Sep 2013 13:49:26 677 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

You keep wanting to attribute things to other people. That's the problem.

You keep saying, without any proof, that genes and culture are deterministic. This is not true. Read the science.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 13:50:43 6,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    I, however, do not believe the scientists hold the answer to everything, just because they use a microscope.
    Yeah hypothetically Science isn't incompatible with creation theory.
  • Retroid Moderator 8 Sep 2013 13:59:36 44,505 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not "political correctness".

It's not being a cunt by dragging in meaningless tags which some people use to beat that particular group.

'I was mugged by someone wearing a green tshirt. Therefore I'll talk about the green tshirt problem & how people wearing green tshirts can't be trusted because they're violent thieves'
  • kalel 8 Sep 2013 14:06:11 86,757 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I don't? I don't have that privilege?
    Good for me, that I don't need it.

In your last comment you tried some cheap character assassination without arguing. I'd expect that from some medieval mob on a witch hunt but as it turns out evolution or behavioral training - take your pick - still hasn't advanced very far in these enlightened times.

If something upsets you, feel free to say so but if you want to manipulate me or others then be a bit more creative about it.
    You're contradicting yourself. Something did upset me, and I did say so. I'm not sure what manipulation you think I'm attempting.

I'm merely expressing that based on this and other threads where you've voiced your views, a clear pattern has emerged that has resulted in me forming an opinion of you - that you are a bigot who misses (or perhaps enjoys) the irony of accusing those who pick up on it as regressive or unenlightened.

I'll leave it at that, as to engage further just gives you the opportunity to continue to justify your bigoted beliefs with pseudo-science and logical fallacies.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last