Bollocks!!! SNES emulator released on app store and I bloody missed it!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 16:21:17
    Now there may be some here who think emulators are illegal which they aren't. As far as I'm concerned, if you own a physical copy of a rom then all is well. Anyway....

Remote File Manager was released on the app store on Wednesday and as you'd expect it's been pulled. But not before some lucky folks got a copy.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/09/04/a-snes-emulator-snuck-on-the-app-store-via-remote-file-manager/

Now I know it's possible to play SNES games on a jailbroken iPad but what I didn't know (thanks to a commenter under that toucharcade article) was that it's possible to download SiOS without jailbraking. And looking at the screenshot on that TouchArcade article it's the same emulator. For anyone interested you can get SiOS here http://emu4ios.weebly.com/downloads.html

Edited by DOOMologist at 16:33:23 06-09-2013
  • mal 6 Sep 2013 16:49:57 22,792 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or, buy a proper phone where you aren't subject to Apple's paranoid whims.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• richardiox 6 Sep 2013 16:57:56 5,710 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    This. I have pretty much perfect SNES, N64 and DS emulation on my Nexus 4 & 7 and better yet can use a PS3 pad to play them without the need to jailbreak or root.

It wasn't until I moved away from ios last year that I appreciated how restrictive it can be.
  • D_arkTrooper 6 Sep 2013 17:27:53 1,336 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ^^
    What this guy said x10000000000000000000000000

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Deleted user 6 September 2013 17:42:29
    Agreed. Love my Note 2, it can do everything.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 18:13:38
    I love these people who helpfully inform the world that something isn't illegal because according to their logic - "as far as I'm concerned" - it's ok.

Anyway, I like iOS and pound for pound prefer it to a less "restrictive" mobile OS. Emulation would be nice though.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Sep 2013 18:17:49 11,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    mal wrote:
    This. I have pretty much perfect SNES, N64 and DS emulation on my Nexus 4 & 7 and better yet can use a PS3 pad to play them without the need to jailbreak or root.

It wasn't until I moved away from ios last year that I appreciated how restrictive it can be.
    Having to put up with how shit Android is and how massively inferior hardware from the likes of Samsung isn't a price worth paying.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• THFourteen 6 Sep 2013 18:18:08 34,239 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Meh I am I am nonplussed by phone emulators. Great to tit around with but never actually worth playing games on
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 18:23:25
    THFourteen wrote:
    Meh I am I am nonplussed by phone emulators. Great to tit around with but never actually worth playing games on
    Kind of my experience full stop with all emulators, even on devices specifically designed to make the most of them like the Wiz. Like you say, fun to have a bit of nostalgic fun with and play all those games you wished you had at the time, but rare you really put any serious time into anything.
  • mrpon 6 Sep 2013 18:46:56 29,421 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phone emulators yup, a tit around. But I'm currently enjoying a play through of Shining Soul II on a GBA emulator on the PSP. Put a fare few hours into it already.

Obv. depends on the game, ymmv etc..

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 6 September 2013 19:06:01
    mal wrote:
    To be honest I'm not that into gaming on the phone. I prefer a larger screen if possible, which is why I'd love Nintendo to create an iPad app.

Anyway I've spent a few hours with SiOS and I'm impressed. I've been playing Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart and Aladdin and the emulator has performed really well on my iPad (4th Gen). SiOS is also compatible with iCade if touch screen controls aren't your thing.

If anyone has tried this emulator on an iPad via an iCade or the 8-Bitty I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Edited by DOOMologist at 19:12:13 06-09-2013
  • Inertia 6 Sep 2013 19:13:22 677 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Drastic on android is an excellent DS emulator. And as the DS had many games designed with touch screen in mind they translate well. I played Ace Attorney and that works really well as a game to dive in and out of.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 23:22:43
    THFourteen wrote:
    Meh I am I am nonplussed by phone emulators.
    I too am amazed and surprised at them. I stare at them agog.
  • mrpon 7 Sep 2013 00:23:22 29,421 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme is nonplussed by the continued use of the word nonplussed.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• PenguinJim 7 Sep 2013 02:46:37 5,951 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    Drastic on android is an excellent DS emulator. And as the DS had many games designed with touch screen in mind they translate well. I played Ace Attorney and that works really well as a game to dive in and out of.
    Please allow me to recommend Infinite Space on DS (by Platinum Games!). Absolutely the best 1D space combat game around, with a strange but not-terrible story, and plenty of ship customisation. It's perfectly suited to an iOS/Android release, too - get on it, Platinum!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next