How will this gaming PC work out?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • NukaBusby 5 Sep 2013 16:52:46 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm fairly new to building computers and I've been wanting to build a gaming PC for a while, I've came up with a few ideas for one but I don't really know how well it will work out and how "future-proof" it really is. I intend to mainly play games like Skyrim, Fallout NV, some other RPGs etc.

Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 or Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660 2GB DDR5 Video Card
    Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Western Digital 2TB SATA Hard Drive
    Corsair CXM 750 Modular 80 Plus Bronce PSU

So how would that work out?
  • Deleted user 5 September 2013 16:59:14
    really good for those games. I'd personally wait the two months till the first multiplatform PS4 games get released, because the baseline of what the minimum PC required is going to shift.
  • L0cky 5 Sep 2013 17:04:45 1,556 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd also ask yourself how much you really need 2TB. An SSD drive makes a huge difference to general performance compared to a mechanical drive.

At least a smaller SSD for the OS if not for everything.
  • NukaBusby 5 Sep 2013 17:07:32 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So will most of this become redundant after the release of the PS4?
  • Deleted user 5 September 2013 17:11:52
    not redundant, but the PS4 has 8gb of gddr 5. so if you're Graphics card has less it could mean that there is a bottleneck even if its technically faster than the PS4.

it probably will be fine but it's still a risk because we don't know.
  • NukaBusby 5 Sep 2013 17:15:04 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine

Wow that's a lot of RAM, Thank you for your help.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2013 17:16:33
    np dude.
  • Fake_Blood 5 Sep 2013 17:19:40 4,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, you don't need 16GB of ram, 8 will be fine.
    750 watts is also a bit much for an i5/gtx660.
  • Lamb 5 Sep 2013 17:22:54 475 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh, you may as well buy a console for that spec. Get an ssd too, get haswell cpu, get sli, make sure motherboard supports pci 3.0 and get better gpus. You will need a 2tb drive for all your steam games. :D

Use benchmarks as reference.

http://www.passmark.com/index.html

also if you have someone build it, it can take a month to get it

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=20

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-380-OE
  • NukaBusby 5 Sep 2013 17:23:08 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Fake_Blood

600W a bit better?

Also what motherboard would you guys recommend?
  • Rodpad 5 Sep 2013 17:40:53 2,093 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hold the phone.

Make sure you get the 660Ti and not the vanilla 660. There's a world of difference for just a few more quid.
  • orpheus 5 Sep 2013 18:35:25 1,011 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Roddles is right re the 660Ti. A build like that is fine for the games you want and most foreseeable future ones. I don't know much about Asus mobos but I would say don't get a cheap one, especially on a K series as it likely means overclocking. If you are overclocking, the Hyper 212 might not cut it - watch the temps carefully during high load and never let them peak over 70 C.

Ignore all the 'PS4 will change the game' bullshit - there won't be an 8 gig DDR5 graphics card out for a good while. Even the Titan is 'only' 6 gig, and that is the absolute top-end of the market. It'll be at least 3-4 years before the PS4 changes the gaming hardware landscape - if it changes it at all.

Edited by orpheus at 18:36:26 05-09-2013
  • Deleted user 5 September 2013 18:42:14
    good to be confident but before we get the games you're just guessing. Even if the titan shits on the ps4 which it does, developers are notoriously lazy with PC ports.
  • orpheus 5 Sep 2013 19:14:09 1,011 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    True, but it always takes 2-4 years before developers really start pushing the boundaries of console hardware.

Hardware is generally a trend of incremental increases - look at the Sandy/Ivy/Haswell progression over the last few years - rather than huge leaps. It will be years before Titan-level GPUs are the common standard, no matter what they release on PS4 - it's too big a step.

A significant proportion of pc gamers are still using 1 gig cards, and even most power users usually only have 2-4 gig. The SLI/Xfire microstutter problem was never really resolved, so after the initial multi-GPU fashion rush, the trend headed back towards single-card setups with higher memory capacity.

That capacity is steadily increasing, granted - most new cards are now 2-4 gig, some even higher, but that's taken 3 years or so, and we're still only halfway to the Titan level. The Titan itself only became available last year (or was it early this year? I forget), and it costs nearly a grand. It'll be 3 years at least before 8 gig GPUs are common enough (and cheap enough) to become the average gamer's kit.

The above build is perfectly adequate (though an SSD for the OS is a top suggestion). Even the hard drive I would say is fine; I edged close to filling my 1tb drive earlier this year and found myself wishing I'd bought a larger one. Don't scare the poor sod on his first foray into building his own setup! :D

Edited by orpheus at 19:16:20 05-09-2013
  • lindokuhlemathope 6 Sep 2013 09:55:37 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Wow those are very good specs you can play just about any new game I say go for it, and I see you made good choices on the hardware you are planing to buy. @NukaBusby
  • NukaBusby 6 Sep 2013 13:45:28 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cheers very much everyone for the great advise and everything, totally need all the help I can get.
  • Dire 6 Sep 2013 15:21:43 1,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    replace the 660 with a 760 seeing as they cost about the same.

The SLI/Xfire microstutter problem was never really resolved, so after the initial multi-GPU fashion rush, the trend headed back towards single-card setups with higher memory capacity.
    the microstutter... overblown to be honest, any reviews from say recent geforce cards make hardly any mention or none at all about microstutters. I myself have two MSI Geforce 660ti powered edition OC's which in sli is more powerful than a 780 single card gpu and cost me 160 quid less than a single 780.

Edited by Dire at 15:25:51 06-09-2013
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 15:30:26
    I read that nvidia had a better handle on it than ATI. Dunno much about it though.
  • superdelphinus 6 Sep 2013 16:43:47 8,126 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ssd makes a big difference, and I'd also change the video card to a 760/ 7950. I have pretty much the same system but have a 128gb ssd (and a 2tb hdd), 8gb ram and a 7950 and it runs pretty much everything at 1080p, 60fps on the highest settings (except for the notoriously demanding ones like crisis 3 etc)
  • NukaBusby 6 Sep 2013 17:31:12 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @superdelphinus

What motherboard are you using?
  • DodgyPast 6 Sep 2013 18:11:05 8,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just to add IIRC only 5.5gb of the PS4's RAM is available and a chunk of that will be non graphics data.

2gb for a mid range card 4gb for the upper end.
  • superdelphinus 6 Sep 2013 18:52:14 8,126 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @NukaBusby gigabyte z77x d3h
  • orpheus 6 Sep 2013 19:03:32 1,011 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dire wrote:
    The SLI/Xfire microstutter problem was never really resolved, so after the initial multi-GPU fashion rush, the trend headed back towards single-card setups with higher memory capacity.
    the microstutter... overblown to be honest, any reviews from say recent geforce cards make hardly any mention or none at all about microstutters. I myself have two MSI Geforce 660ti powered edition OC's which in sli is more powerful than a 780 single card gpu and cost me 160 quid less than a single 780.
    Oh I'm sure it's been improved, but I'd be surprised if it's gone away completely. I remember reading that (oddly) it got better with more cards: 3 cards stuttered less than two, etc. Tom's Hardware did a decent article on it a year or two back and even they couldn't be certain why it was occurring.

I used to run two 5770s and it was a fucking nightmare. Never again!

@ OP - one thing that might be worth looking in to is whether the place you're buying from will fit the CPU to the mobo for you - quite a few places do these days, and it'll save you doing what is probably the most risky bit when building a PC. A single bent pin can fuck you up big time, and a few quid (or less depending on where you go) is sod all to pay for peace of mind.

Edited by orpheus at 19:03:54 06-09-2013
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 19:24:59
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Just to add IIRC only 5.5gb of the PS4's RAM is available and a chunk of that will be non graphics data.

2gb for a mid range card 4gb for the upper end.
    Yep, but supposing devs create a game with a single unified memory footprint of 5.5gb.

It would create a problem for the programmers and wouldn't be the first time that developers have let a PC game loose that performs like a dog because the nature of PC hardware constantly evolving would mean it would eventually run OK.

It's speculation, but it remains a possibility.
  • Sharzam 7 Sep 2013 09:21:28 3,360 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @orpheus

I used two 570s earlier this year and didn't really notice the stutter from what I hear it is a amd problem more these days. I personally went away from sli because of heat and noise nothing to do with.performance, now running a 770 which is roughly the same power minus the noise.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Page

of 1

Previous Next