Mid-October deadline to raise U.S. debt limit Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 October 2013 22:46:40
    Pretty much, yeah.
  • Khanivor 6 Oct 2013 23:14:13 40,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On the other hand, there's really no precedent for the process of government being perverted in this manner. You have a small number of representatives holding the entire country to hostage unless their demands are met. Government isn't supposed to work that way and what's even more troubling is that some of the media are indeed peddling the notion that this is actually just fine.

If the US doesn't figure out how to control the extremist elements then there is a real chance that the government could be destroyed, at least as the entity that has existed to this point.
  • spamdangled 6 Oct 2013 23:21:05 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Khanivor

So in other words, we should all start building nucular bunkahs.

As an aside though, there is a worryingly apparent north/south political divide growing again in the US going by media reports over here. Fuck knows how likely it is, but in the event of a second Civil War then we should all batten down the hatches no matter where we bloody live.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:23:27 06-10-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Khanivor 6 Oct 2013 23:24:05 40,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It could all be part of some elaborate show to keep us distracted from *insert issue here*.

Or it could be a case of you have people in positions of power who want to see the end of government and have found a way of trying to bring it about.

There are echoes of history here which we would all be foolish to ignore in favour or explaining it all away as some Illuminati-type puppet show.
  • spamdangled 6 Oct 2013 23:24:57 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Contrails! I blame the contrails!

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Rhaegyr 6 Oct 2013 23:32:49 1,532 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ron Swanson would be loving this...
  • spamdangled 6 Oct 2013 23:48:47 27,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @sajasanman

It's not really the same as our system at all. They're a republic, we have a parliamentary system. They function pretty differently.

The most worrying thing I find about the US Political system is how it is so utterly dominated by two parties. At least here, for all the Labour-Conservative swapsies, we have plenty of other parties to provide a little balance of power if not actually wield it themselves. In the US they just don't seem to have that, and often it seems that they are so self-obsessed and determined to fuck each other over that they forget that what they do domestically has very, very far reaching consequences internationally.

The current situation in the US just strikes me as a republican temper tantrum. It's a party that always goes on about democracy holding a country to ransom because they don't like the fact that they didn't win the election.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:49:55 06-10-2013

• localnotail 7 Oct 2013 00:39:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Khanivor

So in other words, we should all start building nucular bunkahs.
    I believe it is pronounced "Nu-killer".

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 00:51:26
    darkmorgado wrote:
    As an aside though, there is a worryingly apparent north/south political divide growing again in the US going by media reports over here.
    Not particularly. I'm in the third reddest state in the country (situated North-West), and there's barely a whisper of outrage here. All the talk of cessation and civil war is just a small minority who squawk about it on social media.

My prediction is that this'll most likely be over in a few days as the hardliners realise that even their own party is getting a bit pissed off with them (let alone the general public) and sulkily agree to a funding bill, claiming some minor victory over some small concession to do with debt limits, rather than anything to defund Obamacare.
  • Jeepers 7 Oct 2013 08:44:10 13,173 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    It's over don't bother.
    That's the spirit!
  • Salaman 7 Oct 2013 13:47:26 18,953 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    Sorry but that is absolute drivel of the highest order. We like most western countries have a carbon copy two party system
    I thought a lot of countries had a multi party system. Certainly true fro Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Denmark, Swden, Norway, Finland,...
    Not 100% sure about France.
  • Moot_Point 9 Oct 2013 16:27:27 3,960 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    sajasanman wrote:
    It's over don't bother.
    That's the spirit!
    I agree. We need less people voting, period!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• LeoliansBro 9 Oct 2013 16:30:59 43,651 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    most western countries have a carbon copy two party system
    Absolutely untrue.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 10 Oct 2013 00:17:24 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can the tea-party and it's sympathisers ever stop trying to fuck things up?

Fed's Yellen seen winning Senate approval after vigorous debate

Dear dear dear no.

"They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Edited by Bremenacht at 00:18:10 10-10-2013
  • Bremenacht 10 Oct 2013 18:24:16 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    US Republicans make temporary debt-ceiling offer

What they say:
    Mr Boehner told reporters on Thursday: "What we want to do is to offer the president today the ability to move a temporary increase in the debt ceiling in agreement to go to conference on the budget for his willingness to sit down and discuss with us a way forward to reopen the government."

"It's time for leadership," the Ohio Republican said. "It's time for these negotiations and this conversation to begin."
    What they mean:
    The public blame us this time. So, we'll make the same demand to repeal Obamacare behind closed doors, and then blame the President for not negotiating. Hopefully, the public will blame him then, and he'll cave in.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2013 20:41:55
    Jeepers wrote:
    sajasanman wrote:
    It's over don't bother.
    That's the spirit!
    haha..
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 21:45:12
    Just in the nick of time..

The US Congress has passed a bill to reopen the government and raise the federal debt limit, with hours to spare before the nation risked default.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24559869

I guess that puts of the issue of running out of cash, for a few more months. Then what?

Edited by blacksea at 21:46:25 20-10-2013
  • RichieTenenbaum 20 Oct 2013 21:48:38 2,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Then we can do this all again
  • Rodney 20 Oct 2013 22:01:10 1,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Too bad, defaulting would have been a good thing;

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3726817

I think the T party has done massive damage to its electability over this.

The Republicans have also undermined their position as the party for business.
  • jimbogreen 20 Oct 2013 22:11:07 88 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    You mean one can actually spend what they haven't got?

Next up: If it sounds too good to be true, then you should go for it.
  • Rodney 20 Oct 2013 22:47:43 1,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes its pretty much how all businesses operate. I bought a house with money I didn't have.

The debt ceiling is about servicing debt already incurred any way. The money has already been spent.
  • jimbogreen 20 Oct 2013 22:51:23 88 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I think this is more like taking out a credit card to pay the previous one to pay the previous one etc etc.
  • Rodney 20 Oct 2013 23:20:16 1,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, America has a debt problem but defaulting is not a viable solution. What would that do to confidence in the dollar?

70% of the American public disagree with the Republicans handling of this issue so that must include a fair few Republicans.

Threatening economic damage to get rid of the Affordable Care Act is just reckless and I think many Republicans can even see this.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 17:56:12
    jimbogreen wrote:
    You mean one can actually spend what they haven't got?

Next up: If it sounds too good to be true, then you should go for it.
    I keep telling that to my bank, please give me a bigger overdraft so i can pay the current one ;P

Edited by blacksea at 17:56:34 22-10-2013
  • Page

of 3 First / Last