Official F1 2013 (Codemasters) Thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • IJ 30 Aug 2013 13:13:45 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There doesn't seem to be a thread for the new version so I thought I'd set it up seeing as it's only 5 weeks from release.

I bought '10 and '11 but skipped '12, I'll be looking to pick up this years version. The release date is 4th October and it's worth mentioning that the special edition with all the classic content is only available to pre-order and it's expected to sell out before the games release. Though all content will be DLC available of course.

There was a lot of press about the classic stuff when the game was announced but I haven't seen anything about the rest of the game. I don't give a damn about the classic stuff personally so has anyone found a piece on changes to the core game? I'm hoping they've done very little and so have had time to concentrate on fixing the existing core. The game when it works is fantastic, but it is littered with some many bugs it makes it hard to truely enjoy. For a game where consistently is vital, the changes in AI ability between tracks and dry/wet just broke the single player game. I'm hoping before all the changes next season this is the definitive version with no bugs and a stable base game to really enjoy.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Aug 2013 13:34:15 25,412 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Aug 2013 13:35:04 25,412 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the classic stuff sounds cool.

I get to drive the old Williams and McLarens. How can that not be cool? Plus it has some decent extra tracks.

I can pretend to be Nigel Mansell. Sod the 2013 season.
  • SomaticSense 30 Aug 2013 13:44:30 7,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm with you on that (TC).

If they had added precisely nothing, and instead had spent the entirety of the 11 month(?) dev time on fixing everything that was wrong with the previous games, then for me it'd be an instabuy. F1 2012 without the bugs or the severe balancing issues would see it among the greatest sim racers ever. Though with all the new gumpf surely hoovering up dev resources, I'm staying well away.

I don't think it's Codies' fault though. A yearly release schedule (I'm assuming was part of the licensing contract) is just not viable for such an insanely complicated game of such depth.

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:45:04 30-08-2013
  • IJ 4 Sep 2013 12:42:24 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No demo this year confirmed. That's pretty disappointing. I suspect because the 2012 demo put so many people off buying the full game, including me!
  • SomaticSense 3 Oct 2013 12:35:54 7,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any news from those who plumped for it regarding improvements? Bugs aside, if any of the balancing issues have been fixed the it's an instabuy. Namely:

- the drastic difference in AI ability from track to track

- the lack of AI penalties

- the imbalance of difficulty modes on the majority of tracks. Intermediate was way too easy (frequent wins in a Force India, 6 secs a lap quicker), professional too hard (struggling to beat the Caterhams).

- the idiotic AI when lapping them, or on qually hot laps

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:37:13 03-10-2013
  • D_arkTrooper 3 Oct 2013 17:39:26 1,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or the save game file corruption that wipes out 3 seasons worth of work?

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• superdelphinus 3 Oct 2013 18:22:22 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I think the classic stuff sounds cool.

I get to drive the old Williams and McLarens. How can that not be cool? Plus it has some decent extra tracks.

I can pretend to be Nigel Mansell. Sod the 2013 season.
    No mclarens
  • IJ 4 Oct 2013 13:26:42 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are there any more indepth reviews around which tackle the issues mentioned above, whether bugs have been fixed etc.
  • superdelphinus 4 Oct 2013 14:10:27 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i did actually brave the official forums yesterday and the feeling there seems quite positive (which going by what that forum is usually like, possible means it's the most polished game of all time)

I'm so close to impulse buying - I think if the steam price was the same as amazon/ game i'd buy it right now, but it's 10 more expensive
  • superdelphinus 4 Oct 2013 14:11:26 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    they've left fp1 and 2 out again though which I think is shit personally
  • shamblemonkee 4 Oct 2013 19:40:27 14,261 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @superdelphinus i'd buy if there was interest in a classic online season
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 20:11:54
    Ok just done 55 laps around albert park in a mclaren and 35 laps around Monza in a Williams.

My thoughts, on PC all settings to max

At first it feels like a let down as its so similar to 2012 but the more you play the more you will grin.

The cars are more energetic and a handful to drive. Curb impact and throttle delivery have serious consequences on handling resulting in oversteer and a twitchy back end.

Your car now experiences a greater series of problems over 1 lap understeering through some corners and oversteering in others. It now actually feels like your car is on the track. Trye wear is more noticeable on handling and breaking/lock ups now also affects tyre wear. Going off line onto marbles/dirt track also affects grip more esp later in the race

It feels faster and more agressive, and the visuals have been fine tuned, e.g. leaves flying up from under the cars in front, debris on track, better reflections and night day transition and lighting.

Not done a wet race yet.

Will do a few more races before I will comment on AI and pit stops and tyre changes.

So far so good its more evolution than revolution but its still the best F1 race sim ever in my opinion.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 20:40:59
    Oh yeah anyone want F12012 for PC as I have it as a preorder reward on steam but already have the game
  • superdelphinus 4 Oct 2013 21:48:54 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    @superdelphinus i'd buy if there was interest in a classic online season
    You!
  • superdelphinus 4 Oct 2013 21:50:23 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does it look like it even tests a decent modern pc yet in terms of performance? I think 2012 is the least demanding game I have in steam!
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 22:59:08
    @superdelphinus

I have a GTX 780 and even at max settings its not even trying.

Butter smooth though damn fast and looks nice
  • Stockings 4 Oct 2013 23:23:56 1,026 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @espibara

Meeeee!

I can give you Race Injection or Dishonored in return, I only have those two.
  • shamblemonkee 4 Oct 2013 23:57:47 14,261 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @superdelphinus i miss racing :(
  • superdelphinus 5 Oct 2013 00:15:41 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @shamblemonkee me too. So much so that now I'm basically just playing flight sims! Iracing isn't the same..
  • Deleted user 5 October 2013 00:37:37
    @Stockings

I'll have dishonoured
  • Stockings 5 Oct 2013 01:27:12 1,026 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @espibara

Cool, how do I do this, can you send me a PM of your username?
  • KingOfSpain 7 Oct 2013 09:13:43 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    (Posted this in the F1 League group thread but I thought it wouldn't hurt to bung it here too(

Spent some more time with it last night and I really think they've nailed it this year.

Last year I had a few issues with the AI, they *mostly* seem to have been fixed this time around. Was in a race around Melbourne in a Caterham, running 14th, concentrating of chasing down 13th when the car behind me totally mugged me going into the slow lefthander at the end of the lap. I had completely forgotten about him. In previous versions the AI would course you so few problems there was never any really need to pay the cars behind you any attention. They do seem more aggressive this year. It was a nice surprise. Took me another 3 laps to take the place back. The bastard!

The added difficulty level seems well placed too. Last year I was stuck in between the top to difficulties, but the new difficulty level sit between the two and seem a perfect fit for me. In a Caterham I was battling between 12th-16th most of the race, which seems about right.

My biggest problem last year was that I couldn't keep up with the AI later on in the race. Car that were on the same pace as me at the start of the race were 2-4 seconds faster than me at the end. That's totally not a problem now. Everything seems more consistent.

The handling feel spot on this year too. Now it might be the fact that I think I've found a wheel setup I'm happy with which never really happened last year, but it feels so much more precise, with an added bit of snap and overstear. It feels much more solid! Like I say it might be because I've found a good setup but...

They have really gone to town with tyre ware. Tyre management is much more important. I know what Alonso and co are on about now when they say you need to drive at 85% of the pace of the car just to keep the tyres going. Driving on the edge will kill your tyres quickly as will going for the wrong setup. The extreme 1-1 11-11 setups that people used previously are now no longer an option in anything other than time trial. Adjusting the setup will make your tyre last longer, as it should.

In my Caterham race last night I totally fell off the cliff trying to push my tyres too far. I could feel it coming, but I thought I'd push it. I was wrong! It was almost funny!

I do need to spend more time looking at how to conserve tyres though. It feels very unnatural not racing at full speed. Maybe they've gone a little too far with it but I think I just need to develop some better tyre management.

No major bugs encountered so far and everything feels more polished than any of their previous releases.

Big thumbs up from me so far!

(If I think of anything else I'll give you an update)
  • shamblemonkee 7 Oct 2013 10:28:36 14,261 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i might need to add this to the crimbo list,
  • KingOfSpain 7 Oct 2013 12:32:11 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do it Shambles, you know you want to! :)
  • IJ 7 Oct 2013 12:35:57 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn, I really want to get this but with the new consoles coming up and GTA 5, Mass Effect 3, new Tomb Raider and Witcher 2 to finish before then, I can't really justify it. A bug-free, consistent game is all I wanted and this sounds like it!
  • kentmonkey 27 Oct 2013 13:37:49 20,439 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 27 Oct 2013 13:38:37 20,439 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any other thoughts for those who've spent a few weeks with it?

The EG review was completely useless.
  • Singularity 27 Oct 2013 14:44:06 2,434 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just had a chance today to finish off the young driver test and have a go on the classic cars. I absolutely adore the old cars. Genuinely adrenaline-inducing, which I can't remember a racer doing to me for a long time. Would play more, but want to finish off Beyond.
  • IJ 28 Oct 2013 15:41:47 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    I'm really enjoying it. Now I've got to grips with the tyre wear it feels great. I recommend it more than any of the previous versions. Not encountered any bugs either, which is a nice change!
    In response to me asking the same question on a group thread.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous