Spelunky [PS3/Vita] Page 31

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• andy10 9 Feb 2014 21:27:36 123 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had a pretty terrible run today. Foolishly burnt through all of my ropes and bombs in the mines.
    Panicked in 2-2 when every single one of those sodding wasps came after me and stumbled into a mantrap by the exit with a paltry 45k in the bank.

Feel free to add me (andyandies): I play daily challenge most days and I've been on a dreadful losing streak lately, so I may be useful if you need an ego boost.

Edited by andy10 at 21:28:12 09-02-2014
  • yegon 10 Feb 2014 09:46:47 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was doing okay in the daily, until...

• bunglebonce 10 Feb 2014 10:48:01 2,145 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn. Could you have stomped on his head with the spike boots? If so, an effective strategy might have been to lure some pulse blasts to the top right by hanging on a rope, then using a rope just to the right of the tiki trap to drop down on him. All theory, I try to avoid him as much as possible.

What a way to start 4-1.

It's amazing how far you can go without ropes, but not without bombs. I managed to get from 2-2 to 4-4 yesterday on a normal run without any ropes (or a climbing glove) and got most items I wanted through some bomb-based landscaping. Three visits to Olmec in three days on adventure runs, but I've never lasted beyond 10s at 4-1 in the daily.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Luckyjim 10 Feb 2014 10:55:43 2,873 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Addicted to the daily challenge on this but need more EG friends to compete with. Feel free to add me: Luckyjim
  • Luckyjim 10 Feb 2014 11:05:02 2,873 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, just saw the list on the previous page. Will start adding.
  • yegon 10 Feb 2014 11:32:58 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @bunglebonce

I did try to lure away the pulse blasts, dashed over but the swine generated another in time. What's really annoying is that I'd gone from from 2-2 to 4-1 on zero bombs, and just below that screenshot is a shopkeeper with a bomb box :(
  • TenderChicken 10 Feb 2014 11:35:37 1,162 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I picked this up in the PSN after hearing nothing but rave reviews. I only had a quick blast, but I can see its appeal already!

PSN: TenderChicken
    Xbox Live: TenderChicken1

• bunglebonce 10 Feb 2014 11:51:52 2,145 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yegon wrote:

I did try to lure away the pulse blasts, dashed over but the swine generated another in time. What's really annoying is that I'd gone from from 2-2 to 4-1 on zero bombs, and just below that screenshot is a shopkeeper with a bomb box :(
    Bad luck and typical Spelunky trolling. I probably won't get that far but I'll remember to try to spare a bomb if I get to play the daily tonight.

TenderChicken wrote:
    I picked this up in the PSN after hearing nothing but rave reviews. I only had a quick blast, but I can see its appeal already!
    It's fantastic all the way from learning through experience of dying at the start, to learning through experience 400 deaths later. Also, don't be put off playing the daily and spoiling your average when you learn. I haven't sussed out the exact formula of how the average works (it takes your highest scores and does something with it), but as soon as you start putting higher scores on the board your average begins to soar.

Edited by bunglebonce at 11:55:05 10-02-2014

• Roddy100 10 Feb 2014 22:06:31 765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Was doing okay in the daily, until...

That is EXACTLY where my daily ended too! I too had no bombs remaining. I basically had to commit suicide at that point.
  • Tomo 10 Feb 2014 23:23:16 13,926 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finally got Spelunky in the sale. Fuck me, it's equal parts infuriating and addictive. I haven't managed to go beyond Level 1-3 yet! I've lost count how many times I've dropped a rock on my head. Arghhh.
  • yegon 10 Feb 2014 23:58:30 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Roddy100

Yeah, bummer. Death usually comes as a surprise, but not today :(
  • Roddy100 11 Feb 2014 02:19:40 765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @yegon I stood there for more than a minute desperately trying to think a way out of it but to no avail. And that Tiki-trap was refusing to help out - it was only working on the right-hand side! If only I had been more frugal with my bombs.

I don't think I have you on my friends leaderboard. Will have to remedy that :)
  • yegon 11 Feb 2014 09:28:35 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it was weird, Anubis didn't move an inch no matter what I did. I expected the trap to activate on the left at any moment but alas!
  • bunglebonce 11 Feb 2014 09:45:25 2,145 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had psyched myself up to deal with him for most of yesterday. However, I was so clumsy that I was nearly dead and out of resources by the end of 1-1.

• bunglebonce 11 Feb 2014 20:36:52 2,145 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

That was my fourth visit to Olmec's lair (and second win) in five lunchtime adventure runs (although the leaderboard didn't update it).

Yet my daily scores are something like 19k, 11k, 105k, 19k, 33k.

I just can't turn it on when it matters!

• Roddy100 11 Feb 2014 21:07:22 765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice one! Just curious... what strategy do you usually use against him?

I know what you mean. I seem to alternate between very decent daily scores and completely, utterly, disastrous ones!

Sometimes I just lose my Spelunky mojo. Doesn't stop me playing and loving it though :)
  • bunglebonce 11 Feb 2014 21:42:18 2,145 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I try to bomb a pit and lure him in. The more you can mine away without him stomping the better so that beasties don't spawn.

• Roddy100 11 Feb 2014 23:28:45 765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @bunglebonce Thanks. When I managed to beat him I used the "rushing beneath him after every stomp" technique but haven't managed to repeat that success since.

Will try bombing a pit whilst he's off-screen next time. Sounds much safer.
  • aros 12 Feb 2014 09:00:21 2,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only 6k on the daily today, my worst run in a long long time and all down to my own stupidity and not paying proper attention, running onto spikes!

All-time score on the daily boards is your top 10 results/10 for an average.
  • yegon 12 Feb 2014 15:04:20 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, some bastardly spikes in 1-1 today. I avoided them completely, didn't want to risk it.
  • Dave_McCoy 13 Feb 2014 09:45:54 2,777 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had an even worse run yesterday. $0 made after getting hit by two arrows. I don't know how a managed to not score anything at all :(
  • aros 13 Feb 2014 13:06:27 2,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Completed world 3 and went to the mothership (the shopkeepers turned on me on 2-1 without me being anywhere near them as well!) after robbing everything on the Market's entire top floor 8-D

Died in the Mothership with a score of 103k but it didn't register to the leaderboard, but still says I have played the daily. That would have got my average up a lot as well. I was so mad last night!
  • yegon 13 Feb 2014 13:10:58 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @aros

By last night you mean since 0001 (i.e. today)? Yeah, 2-1, shopkeepers go bananas the moment you enter the level. Quite a few people in my list died there, so congrats on doing an okay run! Pity it's not uploading for you, I don't appear to have that problem.

Hope theres a patch coming akin to the recent PC patch, pro HUD, sloth etc, does improve visibility, especially in the top left of the screen.
  • elhozzo 13 Feb 2014 13:14:15 310 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @yegon - can you expand on that PC patch ? Pro HUD ?

Sometimes the HUD does block my visibility - interesting if that's been addressed in other versions
  • yegon 13 Feb 2014 13:15:49 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elhozzo

Bit of info from Joystiq here

Fully expect to see it patched into the PS3/Vita version, just a matter of when.

Full change log of PC version, no idea what :3 means at the end, I didn't add that!

v1.4 - 2/10/2014
    Added less intrusive "Pro" HUD option in graphics menu
    Added icon on screen when playing Daily Challenge
    Added backup save file system
    Daily Challenge seed will no longer repeat
    Attempted to fix crashing when changing resolutions
    Attempted to fix Windows 8 compatibility issues
    Attempted to fix crash on Intel integrated graphics cards
    Game will no longer crash if mouse and/or keyboard are not detected
    Fixed freezing/losing input control when changing resolution on graphics menu
    Allows multiple upload attempts of scores that fail to upload to leaderboards
    Fixed bug where legitimate scores were sometimes set to $1
    Alt-tabbing during Ankh animation no longer creates infinitely growing ankh
    Fixed infinitely growing shopkeeper/black knight body bug
    Bots can pick up royal jelly in deathmatch mode
    Monkeys no longer play stealing sound when stuck to worm tongue
    The "So It Begins" achievement will retry to unlock if the tutorial is replayed
    Throw damage is no longer stored if the player does not hit a wall when thrown
    Ghost deaths are reported correctly
    “Desafío ciario” changed to “Desafío diario” in Spanish translation
    White "cruft" on edge of green player sprite removed
    Ankh activates correctly when player falls into Abyss while frozen
    "Entire Gang" description corrected to read "16 hidden characters"
    Skeletons play "bone shatter" effect when killed instead of "pot shatter"
    Anubis II portal sound no longer plays briefly before cutscenes
    Anubis II will no longer attack during the Yama cutscene
    Added graphics for destroyed Moai head
    Allow spawning inside Moai head with ankh even if player has already entered
    Added "invert run" control option (Must hold button to walk instead of run)
    Times display with decimal point in front of milliseconds instead of colon
    Shopkeepers no longer glitch after being eaten by a mantrap while patrolling
    Damsels should no longer get occasionally stuck exiting levels
    Ball and chain will no longer float when thrown with pitchers mitt
    Can no longer become stun-locked while hanging from chain stunned
    Ball and chain now works correctly when being resurrected with ankh
    Music will transition correctly when teleporting in and out of shops
    Ghost no longer kills the player during the Olmec cutscene
    Cavemen no longer explode in one-tile-wide underwater areas
    Corrected upper left tile of kissing parlor
    Hired hands can no longer whip players in the tunnel transition
    Shotgun bullets are destroyed when hitting lava
    Removed black "cruft" on edges of some items
    Olmec can no longer crush the platform under the exit in his lair
    Fixed collision error when many objects overlapped
    Shops should no longer be able to generate with a blocked-off entrance
    Teleporter no longer floats in midair after teleporting into a wall with the ankh and a jetpack on
    :3

Edited by yegon at 13:19:39 13-02-2014

Edited by yegon at 13:21:22 13-02-2014
  • TarickStonefire 13 Feb 2014 13:24:43 3,128 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got this for Vita the other day, as I kind of liked the demo, and am inspired by the love for it. But after a few goes (played about ten times so far, got out of the first level once) I've yet to experience this urge to play again, and again, and again. I mean… why? There's no progression to take into the next game, and no matter how cute or fun the game, without progression the whole thing feels empty to me. (I don't mean progression of getting to the next level.)

Hotline Miami, now thats a game I die and reload over and over, all lunch-break long!

Ah well, live and learn! Lesson: rogue-likes really aren't for me at all.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:26:02 13-02-2014

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Kay 13 Feb 2014 13:37:38 17,905 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently the Pro HUD adds extra info on the screen (like how long you've spent in the level). Not sure if that's a good thing tbh, I'd rather just have an option that minimises or lightens the current HUD, as it can be annoying when it blocks the view.

Still, would be good to have the option, hopefully it'll make it to PSN soon (and that they fix the leaderboards once and for all). I'd also like an option to manually sync saves between PS3/Vita, the auto-sync doesn't always seem to work (or maybe I'm not triggering it properly).
  • yegon 13 Feb 2014 13:46:34 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Kay

Yeah, auto sync doesn't work for me. There's a few characters I've unlocked on the Vita that are yet to appear on my PS3 version.

@TarickStonefire

Maybe it's not for you.

That said, the progression you take into the next game are the skills/obstacles/experience from your last death. Which are the best weapons? Tools? Best way to handle enemy types? Combined with the myriad secret levels/nuances, there's a lot more to it than is initially apparent.

I loved Hotline Miami, but it's pretty much the same game every time - which is absolutely fine. Spelunky, otoh, is different every single time, and it actually feels like a true adventure as although you have a rough idea what to expect, you don't really know how exactly it's going to be delivered.

The Daily Challenge seals it, as success is determined purely by gold, and the knowledge that you only have one stab at it a day heightens the risk/reward mechanic immeasurably.

Edited by yegon at 15:06:38 13-02-2014
  • bunglebonce 13 Feb 2014 14:01:50 2,145 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Died in the Mothership with a score of 103k but it didn't register to the leaderboard, but still says I have played the daily. That would have got my average up a lot as well. I was so mad last night!
    As far as I can tell, the game informs the cloud that you've started a daily as soon as you do start a game, so if you close the game fully without dying your chance is still gone. The lack of syncing at the end of the run is very annoying.

• Roddy100 13 Feb 2014 20:50:11 765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Yeah, auto sync doesn't work for me. There's a few characters I've unlocked on the Vita that are yet to appear on my PS3 version.
    I haven't had any trouble with the auto sync. Are you always connected to the internet each time you play (on both Vita and PS3)?

My leaderboards appear to work perfectly as well.

Edited by Roddy100 at 22:51:18 13-02-2014
  • Page

of 46 First / Last