Spelunky [PS3/Vita] Page 30

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• yegon 4 Feb 2014 14:59:50 5,416 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Playing the daily every night seems to have increased my skill loads compared to just playing the game loads normally - I reached 4-3 in an offline run on Saturday and normally I can't get past the jungle when starting from mines.

Normal game seems a lot easier after playing the daily a lot. I only ever buy climbing gloves and a few bombs in the daily, so the ability to buy anything you like in the offline game feels almost game breaking in comparison. I've beat Olmec a few times now, yet to beat hell though. Not that you'd know it by the high score leaderboards though, according to that I'm bottom of my eg friends list and have never beaten 2-4, 68K! Dunno what's going on there, I've got double that and twice as far just in the daily!

Edited by yegon at 15:11:04 04-02-2014
  • Tuffty 4 Feb 2014 16:42:01 1,746 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decided to buy this after watching Patrick Klepeck do his daily challenge attempts on Giant Bomb. Was thinking I could get pretty far having seen a lot of his attempts. Boy was I wrong. Very fun game, incredibly addicting.

Would like more people to compete with on PS3 Daily Challenges though! Add me if you want to feel vastly superior over a newcomer (and let's face it, who doesn't?) ID is TufftyUK.
  • Roddy100 4 Feb 2014 20:20:20 783 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @aros Well done on your awesome daily score, aros!

I died on level 1 of the mines with only $8000 to my name. Probably my worst attempt yet. I landed on some spikes after my kitten stuck his claws into my bare foot :(
  • BeebleB 4 Feb 2014 20:22:08 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got 10,000 and then let out a lil internal scream when I saw that fishmonsta had only got 14...just beating his scores occasionally makes me very happy

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• beep 4 Feb 2014 22:29:28 452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BeebleB wrote:
    I got 10,000 and then let out a lil internal scream when I saw that fishmonsta had only got 14...just beating his scores occasionally makes me very happy
    Haha! Yup, I've had bad runs in the Dailies for the past three days or so. Love how Spelunky remains punishing if you lapse in concentration!
  • Paulie_P 5 Feb 2014 00:59:17 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dammit was playing a regular game there and was having a good run, made it to the black market and purchased the Arkah, had about 20k and made it to the ice levels with 6 hearts, the climbing glove, spring boots and plenty of rope.

On the first ice level, I made my way carefully to the exit and there it was. A giant yeti was underneath it so I tried to run to it before the yeti saw me. I failed and started bouncing on the yeti's head. The L button flashed but wouldn't respond so it wouldn't exit for me. I thought I was doomed.

Then a moment of inspiration, there were a few ufos above me so I lured them to fire at me and moved at the last moment. It worked! The Yeti died then I picked off the ufo.

Now here's the weird part, the ground, the exit was on had been destroyed. So it just had the exit platform beneath it, I tried to jump on it but I fell right through it!

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought those platforms were indestructible, especially considering it was still visible. Was it a bug?

In the end another ufo arrived and destroyed the ground below the exit so my next attempt to jump on it dropped me to the abyss. I revived with the Arkah but when I made mt way to the exit, the same thing happened.

Totally unfair and that's the first time I felt that way about this game and I've 750+ deaths.
  • beep 5 Feb 2014 03:19:45 452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Paulie_P That's weird. The only really weird thing I've had happen to me is this:

Usually if the destructible platforms around the level exits are destroyed, you should still be able to jump onto the exit's invisible doorstep (it's not really invisible as there is a clear line you can stand on). The only thing is you have to be able to fall onto it; so either drop onto it from a greater height, or make sure the peak of your jump is higher than the doorstep itself.
  • aros 5 Feb 2014 08:57:29 3,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Number 1 :D :D :D I wish there was still a prize :D

Back to my normal level of score today though haha.
  • Paulie_P 5 Feb 2014 09:58:30 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @beep that's what I thought, I could see the invisible platform, that's what I meant bu exit platform. It just seemed on this occasion that it didn't have any collision detection. :(

The fact that the invisible platform exists shows how well designed this game is as it means you should always be able to reach an exit. Unless you get bugged out like I did here!

That pic looks like you were playing the NES version.
  • bunglebonce 5 Feb 2014 13:12:32 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @aros I spotted your high score last night, bravo!

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• aros 6 Feb 2014 08:56:37 3,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a Plasma gun in today's daily! I got to the market for the first time last night but didn't have enough for the Ankh. Got to 3-4 then jumped too far and the bounce sent me down into the abyss!

Worst thing was I had 4 lives as I jumped!

Edited by aros at 11:02:02 06-02-2014
  • beep 6 Feb 2014 10:17:20 452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Plasma gun today was a hoot. Killed myself with it by jumping and blasting some gold, and then the recoil threw me onto some spikes. Dead... bah!
  • aros 6 Feb 2014 11:01:21 3,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fire the plasma gun to the right from your starting position in 2-1 - it will destroy the spike trap and reveal the door to the market. :)
  • bunglebonce 6 Feb 2014 19:24:22 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was so psyched but careful with the plasma gun for a couple of levels, then I got over-ambitious and fell back on spikes. Lesson learned.

• Roddy100 6 Feb 2014 21:28:43 783 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a few fun shots with the plasma gun and then carefully discarded it and carried on without it, for fear of doing personal harm.

What a fun toy to play with though!
  • BeebleB 6 Feb 2014 21:31:42 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I made it to the black market with my plasma gun before it got the better off me, is great fun though. Only the second time I've found one.

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Wavey 6 Feb 2014 23:03:58 430 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a list of psn ids to add? Just got this on the vita and would like to see how far down the list I would be :D
  • Sharzam 7 Feb 2014 08:02:55 3,362 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Today's challenge has a suicide jump on right side of 1-3, just a tip don't go that way. I made it to the bottom but had no way to get out.

Oh and had Spelunky on PC for ages but got it now on Vita thanks to the sale. Can't believe waited so long this is the perfect platform.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• bunglebonce 7 Feb 2014 09:15:44 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:

Can't believe waited so long this is the perfect platform.
    It really is.

Wavey wrote:
    Is there a list of psn ids to add? Just got this on the vita and would like to see how far down the list I would be :D
    Feel free to add me, sig undearneath. You'll find a collection of posts with usernames earlier in the thread, we should maybe try to consolidate it.

• aros 7 Feb 2014 09:21:23 3,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Suicide jump on 1-1 as well. I died within seconds of starting, a spider dropped down directly below where I was hanging, dropped myself to land on its head (couldn't see the ground below) and discovered it had hit spikes that then also killed me.

6k. lol.
  • yegon 7 Feb 2014 09:47:36 5,416 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Feels like cheating being given these tips in advance, but I'll pay attention when I play it later :)

Yesterday was pitiful thanks to the plasma gun, ha. Very little experience with it, really didn't want to drop it though, so utterly screwed myself very early.

I'll never ever top the daily averages, but my personal battle is with GrimeBlast for 3rd amongst my friends list. It's been neck and neck hovering around 122k each for a while, but my <10k and his 144k yesterday caused a big dip, boooo.

What a game. Been playing the daily since it appeared in the PS version, I don't forsee me stopping any time soon.

Edited by yegon at 09:48:23 07-02-2014
  • mothercruncher 7 Feb 2014 10:11:56 7,819 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played this to death when I first bought it and now, given it has been about a month, I know it is going to be really shaming to try to get into it again for a while. I'm scared :(
  • aros 7 Feb 2014 10:21:47 3,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't play for a long time before the dailies started but I've found I'm a lot better for a break and playing less runs per day.

aros2011 if your not on my PSN Mcmother - all you new guys are welcome to add me too.
  • bunglebonce 7 Feb 2014 16:06:26 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got to Olmec today for the first time ever! I got too excited and felt rushed at the end of my lunch break and let him squeeze me against the wall.

Shame it was an adventure run rather than on the daily, it was my easily my personal best score.

• BeebleB 7 Feb 2014 20:47:49 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Wavey Emperorzaphod on psn. A daily challenge psn list might be a good idea though

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• bunglebonce 9 Feb 2014 10:12:04 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great run in today's daily, which came to an abrupt end when I got caught in a loop of getting stunned by my own shotgun bouncing with me on one of the ice cave springs. A huge opportunity missed to hit 150k+.

Today's 3-1 had my favourite music in the game: the wonderful saxophone motif that comes with the wet fur level. Is it just that level? It's always the highlight of my ice cave run.

Edited by bunglebonce at 10:49:47 09-02-2014

• bunglebonce 9 Feb 2014 10:52:18 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok I've gone through the thread and have come up with a list of PSN IDs that have been offered by users (either in sigs or in comments). I doubt everyone is still active, but they should be: this game gets better the more you play.

--------------

PSN ID - EG username (if different)

erniewhatbert - bunglebonce
    IIIQuid - steveb07
    Aros2011 - aros
    Roddy100
    finn1 - santashi
    The_Apostle - TheDarkKnight
    boxoctosis
    N5OMANiCAL - INSOMANiAC
    DiJayEm - Rhythm
    HamsterTrippin - thedaveeyres
    amibob - Murbal
    DavidBoring
    badboyandyc - andyc1980
    elhozzo3
    Emperorzaphod - BeebleB
    Ballszilla - istandfreed
    jagger_74 - jagg3r
    el_pollo__diablo (one underscore not two)
    philreeduk
    relaxedcashew - Kay
    Fish_Monsta - beep
    ThrowingTuba
    HiggyLTD
    teamHAM
    Waggy79 - ? (I saw the name on the leaderboard but I haven't seen a corresponding post)
    PopzeusEG - Popzeus
    buenos1980 - Buenos_Estente
    ulysseys31 - famous_roy
    Dave_McCoy
    yegon_EG - yegon
    Gojiratron
    Imagine2345
    Luckyjim
    andyandies - andy10

-------------

If I missed you, please let me know.

I'll add those who I don't have already.

Edited by bunglebonce at 11:13:50 10-02-2014

• yegon 9 Feb 2014 11:24:52 5,416 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh very good, will add a few of these I'm missing later.

Pathetic showing from me today. It's either World 3 or 4 w/ 100k+ for me, or woeful death in world 1 with barely enough gold for a mortgage deposit, tsk.
  • Dave_McCoy 9 Feb 2014 15:41:01 2,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a poor showing today. Playing in my work lunch break, thinking I was going to have to cut my game short as I was doing so well but due back to work. Soon as I thought that I was eaten by a mantrap. 7 hearts and I thought it was a good idea to carry a dazed one...2-2, barely $30,000

I will be grumpy back at work.
  • Roddy100 9 Feb 2014 19:50:27 783 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I managed 181K in Saturday's daily. A new personal best :)

Was quite refreshing after several days worth of terrible attempts.
  • Page

of 48 First / Last