Spelunky [PS3/Vita] Page 15

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• BeebleB 22 Oct 2013 00:02:18 978 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thats great news, the snow really does lag a bit.

I wish they'd fix the leaderboard bug though.

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Roddy100 22 Oct 2013 00:07:00 780 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BeebleB I'm ever hopeful that a leaderboard fix will be part of the same patch. I'm sure they're aware of the issue.
  • Kay 22 Oct 2013 10:17:52 17,955 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great news about the patch, good excuse for me to get back into the game.

I think it was also confirmed a while back that the Daily Challenges are coming, but not sure when.
  • aros 23 Oct 2013 10:08:58 3,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    It really is. The more l play it, the more I think it's as close to perfect as any game I've ever played. Not perfect in the sense that it's all things to all people - that'll never exist - but perfect in what it sets out to do in it's own little universe, and one of the rare examples where randomly generated levels are executed so well.

Dunno how tricky World 4 is yet, I went to sleep immediately after achieving the above, but having got to 3-4 with the burden of the wotsit I realise now that the prospect of actually finishing it from start to finish is suddenly completely feasible. Something I would have sworn was impossible previously given my decidedly average gaming abilities.

Slightly off topic, but I may actually give hardcore mode in Diablo 3 a go now - that sense of exhilaration mixed with fear is something that I'd like to try recreate, something which you really can't achieve when your progress is assured as in most games (thankfully).
    X-Com is a great game for it, with permadeath. Even if you don't like TBS games it's absolutely amazing. Free too if you are Plus.

I hope the update for daily challenges soon, if leaderboards are fixed we can compare to each other every day :D
  • BeebleB 23 Oct 2013 21:27:36 978 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just managed to unlock the temple shortcut. Am so happy :D didn't think this day would ever come :D

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Deleted user 23 October 2013 21:50:48
    Could you Spelunky fans sum up why you like it?

I tried it recently and it didn't grab me at all. Didn't like the graphics, and didn't find the gameplay interesting either.

Indie platformers aren't generally my thing to be fair, but I really like Limbo and Stealth Inc. Love the style and gameplay of both of them.

Give how popular and highly rated this game is, I'd like to give it another go, as I feel like I must be missing something about the gameplay.
  • waggy79 23 Oct 2013 22:22:20 1,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @rumblesushi

I didn't like the demo at all on 360 but bought on Vita and its perfect for it. It's punishing at first but you start to learn how each enemy/ trap reacts each time you die, a bit like dark souls. As you unlock the shortcuts you use them to learn the new levels. On top of that the music's great and you don't get bored as the maps are different each time you play (and it's cross buy/play!).
  • BeebleB 23 Oct 2013 23:23:26 978 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loads of hidden stuff too, lots of amusing/frustrating deaths. Once you start to get further its incredibly addictive. I've played maybe 50hours between the steam version and the vita and I know I've still got a way to go.

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• TheDarkKnight 28 Oct 2013 11:17:34 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    God damn, getting a bit fatigued on this now. Have been thoroughly enjoying it, but I can't seem to get the key to the Tunnel dude. Closest I got was 3-1 I think. Thing is you spend so long on the mines and jungle that you forget all the little dangers of the ice levels. May try something else and give it a break for a bit. Or, has anyone got any tips for achieving this? I like to get the compass if I can, and the green hand, don't like the cape very much and the rocket pack is just too tricky for me atm.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• Kay 28 Oct 2013 13:41:38 17,955 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheDarkKnight Just practice, really. Once you get good enough you'll be able to breeze past most of the levels, and then you just need a bit of luck to finish the job.

I think most people actually find the Ice Caves much easier than the Jungle levels, as once you get good enough at the platforming you can usually jump through most of the level and get to the exit quickly.

That's another helpful strategy with the key actually - just try to get to the exit with it as quickly as possible. Obviously some items (like the compass) will help, but don't go out of your way to try and get them - start faffing around and you just increase your chances of dying.
  • matrim83 28 Oct 2013 14:26:22 5,597 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    God damn, getting a bit fatigued on this now. Have been thoroughly enjoying it, but I can't seem to get the key to the Tunnel dude. Closest I got was 3-1 I think. Thing is you spend so long on the mines and jungle that you forget all the little dangers of the ice levels. May try something else and give it a break for a bit. Or, has anyone got any tips for achieving this? I like to get the compass if I can, and the green hand, don't like the cape very much and the rocket pack is just too tricky for me atm.
    FWIW getting the key to the dude is almost entirely worthless. I know it opens up the shortcut to the Temple but if you are trying to get any sort of a run together you will NEVER want to start at the temple. You always wanna start at the mines.

Even for practicing Temple runs, you are better off starting at the Ice caves so you have some chance of having a handful of decent items.

So yeah, the key is a bit of a pain and honestly not worth it.

Valar morghulis.

• Kay 28 Oct 2013 14:29:53 17,955 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd disagree with that, the key certainly helps if all you want to do is get to the end of the game!

Although if it's really giving you that much trouble, might be better to just try and complete it from the Ice Caves.
  • yegon 28 Oct 2013 15:57:15 5,398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:

FWIW getting the key to the dude is almost entirely worthless. I know it opens up the shortcut to the Temple but if you are trying to get any sort of a run together you will NEVER want to start at the temple. You always wanna start at the mines.

Even for practicing Temple runs, you are better off starting at the Ice caves so you have some chance of having a handful of decent items.

So yeah, the key is a bit of a pain and honestly not worth it.
    While I'd argue it is marginally worth it - it gives you the opportunity to repeatedly trial and error the Temple and get a grasp on what to look out for - I totally agree with you otherwise. If you're really struggling with the final unlock, forget it, focus on maybe starting in the Ice caves.

I was delighted when I unlocked the Temple but find it's almost impossible starting there and getting through the temple intact with the items you want for the last bit. I've reached Olmec a few times now from 1-1. Personally, I find the temple an absolute horror if you haven't got a stack of bombs and ropes (or other means) to get you out of trouble. Via the shortcut, I can reach Olmec fairly quickly but always with virtually no health and no items.

Edited by yegon at 15:59:49 28-10-2013
  • brn 28 Oct 2013 16:27:27 232 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So can anyone give me a *hint* on how to defeat Olmec? I've managed to get to him a bunch of times and tried roping and bombing him and even managed to get to top part of the level with all the chests and stuff, no luck...
  • yegon 28 Oct 2013 16:32:40 5,398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @brn

I had two failed attempts myself, not a bleeding clue, so googled it.

Here you go, END BOSS SPOILERS;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efcfimi_sZI
  • matrim83 28 Oct 2013 16:57:27 5,597 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brn wrote:
    So can anyone give me a *hint* on how to defeat Olmec? I've managed to get to him a bunch of times and tried roping and bombing him and even managed to get to top part of the level with all the chests and stuff, no luck...
    Same way you beat Bowser in SMB 3. :p

Also a really handy tip. If Olmec cant see he wont be jumping all around the level. Useful in case you wanna bomb in peace.

Valar morghulis.

• brn 28 Oct 2013 17:17:16 232 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    brilliant! actually tried to beat SMB3 for the first time quite recently, but gave up before I got to bowser, obviously :D
  • TheDarkKnight 29 Oct 2013 08:56:17 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Kay Good tips thanks.

Bloody jungle. I shot myself in the foot trying to save the damsel and dropped the key on some spikes. I couldn't get it as there was no level ground beside the spikes to walk on, so had to bomb it. Got the key but landed myself in a sticky situation with the tiki traps either side of me. I couldn't jump high enough to activate the top spikes, knew it was going to be tough, got tiki'd, then landed on the ground spikes! What a waste, felt like I was in the zone too. Going to have to stop faffing around and just get to the exit.

Just read other posts. Interesting views, I can see where people are coming from. I'll give the key a few more tries and then go back to the Ice levels and see what I can do. I am completing the mines pretty easily now, and most of the time getting through to the end of the jungle, so I've definitely improved quite a bit.

Edited by TheDarkKnight at 09:05:24 29-10-2013

• santashi 29 Oct 2013 09:12:24 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Definitely recommend just heading straight for the exit when you've got the key, especially in the Jungle levels. If you happen across items etc on the way there consider it a bonus, but don't go out of your way for them. Also don't be tempted to use any item you're not comfortable with!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• TheDarkKnight 29 Oct 2013 09:29:16 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got some practice with the cape yesterday, I'd say that's a helpful one to have, as opposed to the jet pack which I personally need far more time with to be useful. You can just drop straight to the bottom of jungle levels, with any luck, and float slowly while assesing your landing area! :)

Still not sure about sticky bombs or pitchers mitt. Takes away as much as they offer.

• Ashwood 29 Oct 2013 10:55:37 408 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:Bloody jungle. I shot myself in the foot trying to save the damsel and dropped the key on some spikes. I couldn't get it as there was no level ground beside the spikes to walk on, so had to bomb it.
    You can actually land safely into the spikes if you ledge hang from one block up. Took me a while to figure that one out. And after over a thousand games played it still unnerves me even running through them when you're on the same level :D
  • TheDarkKnight 29 Oct 2013 11:08:09 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah! Nice tip! I find the 'climb down' action a bit clumsy, it's not implemented very well imho. I usually drop off and grab the edge, as I'm sure most do. This is a very handy bit of advice though, thanks.

• TheDarkKnight 30 Oct 2013 07:25:15 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok, the jet pack is flipping cool! I'm going for that every chance I get. Not as risky as I thought it would be, given a little care.

• Mola_Ram 5 Nov 2013 00:55:49 8,006 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Had a rare "cheap" death the other day. I went down a level in the jungle. The second I entered the new level, the boomerang guy to the right of the entrance chucked one at me, knocking me onto spikes.

Most of my deaths have been quite fair, though.
  • TheDarkKnight 5 Nov 2013 07:43:58 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The ones that annoy me are the arrow traps that are level with the ground you're walking on, but off screen. So you go running along then suddenly *POW*! Most of the time I laugh, most of the time!

Got to 3-3 with the key. Bugger me, activated a mine, then instead of jumping clear my guy decided to hang from the ledge right beside the mine! Should of been more cautious and avoided entirely.

• Murbs 12 Nov 2013 10:29:48 22,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watch the single most difficult Spelunky run ever: the solo eggplant Yama kill
    PocketGamer linky

Edited by Murbal at 11:04:10 12-11-2013
  • elhozzo 12 Nov 2013 10:46:40 333 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    watched a bit of the vid, and read the article ..wow... there is so much more to this game than I realized .... can see it lasting a lifetime (literally) ...
  • matrim83 12 Nov 2013 23:38:26 5,597 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Watch the single most difficult Spelunky run ever: the solo eggplant Yama kill
    PocketGamer linky

Holy fuck. Just O.O

Man the game gave him NOTHING after that eggplant setup. No Kapala, not many bomb bags, no Jetpack. Nothing. To pull that off despite all of that is amazing beyond words.

Also it really starts to get super intense once he hits the temple. I was nervous just watching it and I already knew what happened. Cant imagine what it was like seeing it on Twitch.

Valar morghulis.

• TheDarkKnight 13 Nov 2013 08:56:30 695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I take it there is no DLC coming for this game? Was there ever any planned, or was the dev not into that sort of thing? Bloody shame, but I hope Spelunky 2 is at least in development? Please please please.

Well I will watch a bit of the vid later, but I'm just thrilled I got the thing to the Tunnel Man! Was crazy run through, I was tooled up with nearly everything except compass. Didn't get many bombs though, so had to be careful. Don't quite know what to do now. I am trying to grab the shotgun and blast my way as far as possible, it's hellova lot of fun.

• santashi 13 Nov 2013 09:10:11 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That guy is seriously amazing at the game. So many evil set ups that he dealt with so smoothly.

Watching some of that makes me think that I probably need to stop legging it to the exit every time a chill runs up my spine. :p And the sticky bomb suddenly seems a lot more useful.

Edited by santashi at 09:10:33 13-11-2013

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Page

of 48 First / Last