Spelunky [PS3/Vita] Page 14

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• CaptainFantasm 24 Sep 2013 14:11:30 89 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Top tips please. Finding this game tough.
    Bombs are key! Always keep stocked up, and buy when you can. Sacrificing Damsels is sometimes more worthwhile than saving them as well.

Edited by CaptainFantasm at 14:12:37 24-09-2013
  • BloodMountain88 24 Sep 2013 18:01:48 159 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trying to unlock the third shortcut at the moment - almost got the key to the end of the Jungle levels, but level 2-4 ended up being a dark level for me, which I thought was incredibly unfair TBH - you can't hold a key and torch at the same time so there's basically no way to get through a dark level if you're trying to get the key to the shortcut guy :-(.
  • santashi 24 Sep 2013 18:18:57 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BloodMountain88 I've managed to get the key through dark jungle levels a few times, but it's really hard to do so without losing lots of lives and equipment and thereby screwing yourself over for the following levels. I think I managed to get two in a row once, which felt very unfair!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• TheDarkKnight 25 Sep 2013 21:09:08 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Completed the jungle yeah! Got so close earlier, didn't really expect it, but got to the final exit and there was some tiki spikes covering it! Mistimed it and didn't press L1 quick enough. Done it though, finding it a bit easier than the mines, although it may be I'm learning and getting a bit better at the game. Certainly taking it a lot more cautiously.

When/why does the ghost turn up? I'd like more time to explore the level. Can understand it would leave it maybe too easy though, as you could take your time and find ways around most obstacles given enough time.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• Ashwood 25 Sep 2013 21:33:51 408 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The ghost turns after 2 and a half minutes spent in a level I think. He's not too hard to avoid though.

When you get amazing at the game, you'll start 'ghostrunning' ;)

When the ghost passes over gems, they become diamonds. Lots of money/score can be reached this way
  • TheDarkKnight 25 Sep 2013 22:27:16 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah, I can see lots of tactics involved here with 'ghostrunning'. You could spend the 2 and a half minutes clearing enemies and blowing up blocks possibly.

Had some great moments in this game. I love the little death window when you're dead. This game could do with a replay system like Super Meat Boy though!

If anyone wants to add me for score comparison please do, The_Apostle on PSN.

• TheDarkKnight 27 Sep 2013 09:26:17 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I need to get a shotgun for the Tunnel Man to get to the ice caves. What's the best way; I see a little dude guarding two chests occasionally, is it easier stealing it from him? Or waiting for the right set of variables for one to turn up in a shop and I have enough cash?

Played this game far too much yesterday. Top quality.

• BeheretiK 27 Sep 2013 09:34:28 884 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One way to get the shotgun is to bomb a gravestone named Ash in a level where the dead are restless. Nice little Evil Dead reference as well!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• santashi 27 Sep 2013 10:12:54 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Did the key run yesterday after picking up a cape and pretty much just floating through the last 6 levels to the tunnel man. So lucky. :D

• TheDarkKnight 27 Sep 2013 11:17:40 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @BeheretiK Sweet, great tip! I noticed that grave earlier, wondered if there was something special about it but had no idea!

• Flying_Pig 27 Sep 2013 22:27:45 11,542 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daily challenges coming to PS3/Vita
  • TheDarkKnight 28 Sep 2013 08:17:39 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What sort of challenges are we looking at? Score/time?

I'm struggling to get the shotgun to the tunnel man. A few times I have had it, but every time I get a night level that makes it very very difficult. Then I get through to the end level, and there's been no shop selling or other opportunity to grab one. I'll keep plugging away, I definitely feel I've got better at this game, and it's so much fun to play. Playing as the little robot dude, seem to be doing better!

• santashi 28 Sep 2013 08:35:06 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I tend to play as the ninja. There is a nice variety of characters to pick from.

• Paulie_P 28 Sep 2013 09:03:14 416 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do the characters make a difference?
  • santashi 28 Sep 2013 10:09:24 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nope. I just like having the choice. :)

• Paulie_P 28 Sep 2013 20:14:45 416 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok cool, thought I was missing something! :)
  • bunglebonce 28 Sep 2013 20:25:08 2,228 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Daily challenges coming to PS3/Vita
    If that will be the same as the Steam ones, then that is brilliant.

Are leaderboards working yet, btw? I'm just back from a fortnight's holiday and have been playing on flight mode.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• TheDarkKnight 28 Sep 2013 22:18:07 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got the tunnel to the ice levels finally! Yes! Got the shotgun straight away nearly and flew through without much trouble. Was sad to give it up mind you.

Are there cheat codes in this? Would love to have god mode and spawn weapons and items!

• Flying_Pig 28 Sep 2013 22:25:40 11,542 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Got the tunnel to the ice levels finally! Yes! Got the shotgun straight away nearly and flew through without much trouble. Was sad to give it up mind you.

Are there cheat codes in this? Would love to have god mode and spawn weapons and items!
    No - cheating's for losers ;)
  • TheDarkKnight 28 Sep 2013 22:58:47 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Boo! Not cheating, let's call it, 'creative mode' ;)

• BloodMountain88 29 Sep 2013 16:07:13 159 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally unlocked the Temple shortcut! :D
  • Paulie_P 29 Sep 2013 18:23:34 416 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally got that damn key to the tunnel man!
  • Roddy100 30 Sep 2013 21:46:48 784 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ashwood 30 Sep 2013 21:54:28 408 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:

You just need to master the art of shopkeeper murder and head to the black market :D
  • TheDarkKnight 1 Oct 2013 13:40:22 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haha, I've killed the shop keeper a few times, intentionally and unintentionally, and it's crazy. I got lucky once, he got caught in an area and I managed to whip him enough times, or bomb him, I can't remember. Got the shotgun yay! Downside, there was shop keepers waiting at every exit! I got past two but not the final one.

Oh good lord have mercy, I've now got to take the key from the mines through to the end of the ice levels to Tunnel Man! Oh, this is going to be painful.

• Paulie_P 1 Oct 2013 22:14:09 416 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Haha, I've killed the shop keeper a few times, intentionally and unintentionally, and it's crazy. I got lucky once, he got caught in an area and I managed to whip him enough times, or bomb him, I can't remember. Got the shotgun yay! Downside, there was shop keepers waiting at every exit! I got past two but not the final one.

Oh good lord have mercy, I've now got to take the key from the mines through to the end of the ice levels to Tunnel Man! Oh, this is going to be painful.

I found getting past the jungle the hardest part of that.

Edited by Paulie_P at 22:14:27 01-10-2013
  • yegon 3 Oct 2013 07:05:55 5,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Holy crapsticks! I managed the final shortcut!

I've put this down for the last couple of weeks after massacring it. Countless deaths getting the you know what to 3-4, I'd essentially given up for a while.

Couldn't sleep last night so thought, I'll have a quick blast on Spelunky. The FIRST game in 2 weeks, I plodded along and was quite surprised how far I was getting holding the wotsit. Found myself at 3-2 and it suddenly occurred to me how well I was doing and started feeling a little tense. 3-4 came and I was sat bolt upright, eyes like saucers.

No bombs, one rope, parachute.

I got within sight of the exit. If I had a bomb it'd be a piece of piss, but instead I had to fall from a great height, parachute kick in, land on one of those platforms that quickly disintegrate then jump to the left at just the right moment when the mammoth was looking the other way, then jump over said mammoth. Timing had to be perfect due to short turnaround of the mammoth and the disintegrating platform. No joke, prior to the attempt I had butterflies in my stomach lol, and my heart was in my mouth.

AND I DID IT, YES YES YES! One of the greatest, most invigorating single moments in gaming I've had for years, and it'll live long in my memory :)

Now I've finally got the opportunity to get accustomed to World 4, where previously I'd only seen 4-1 for less than a minute.

What. A. Game.
  • TheDarkKnight 3 Oct 2013 07:18:04 695 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ha, that is a brilliant story Yegon! Congrats! Hopefully I'll be joining you soon (soon within the next few months, soon).

It is a brilliant game. Easy 10 out of 10 from me. It's what games should be about, none of the modern bollocks.

• yegon 3 Oct 2013 07:30:20 5,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It really is. The more l play it, the more I think it's as close to perfect as any game I've ever played. Not perfect in the sense that it's all things to all people - that'll never exist - but perfect in what it sets out to do in it's own little universe, and one of the rare examples where randomly generated levels are executed so well.

Dunno how tricky World 4 is yet, I went to sleep immediately after achieving the above, but having got to 3-4 with the burden of the wotsit I realise now that the prospect of actually finishing it from start to finish is suddenly completely feasible. Something I would have sworn was impossible previously given my decidedly average gaming abilities.

Slightly off topic, but I may actually give hardcore mode in Diablo 3 a go now - that sense of exhilaration mixed with fear is something that I'd like to try recreate, something which you really can't achieve when your progress is assured as in most games (thankfully).
  • Roddy100 21 Oct 2013 23:10:36 784 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good news: Blitworks definitely have a Spelunky patch incoming as confirmed on their twitter feed. Seems that it will fix the slowdown issues (would love it if it could add the Daily Challenges to the game but perhaps that is wishful thinking).

Edited by Roddy100 at 23:11:59 21-10-2013
  • Page

of 48 First / Last