Nintendo 2DS Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• mikew1985 28 Aug 2013 17:23:07 13,042 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a horrific looking thing but it's not intended for us.

It's also such a shit name and calling it the 2DS and getting rid of the clamshell design will alienate any kids who do end up getting one as it will be seen as the shit version and none of them will want it.

If they had hidden that it is the budget version a little better in the design it would have een a great idea.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 17:24:29
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    But they should have kept the clamshell, it's a good screen protector. Mind you, I've seen plenty of original DS consoles with the screens absolutely gouged full of marks by kids with their styluses so I suppose even then the clamshell doesn't really matter.

I dunno, it doesn't look right.
    At a guess, the design was partially inspired by tablets. Kids use iPads and the like all the time without many problems.
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Aug 2013 17:26:00 25,636 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At the end of the day, the thing will go on to sell millions of copies overnight and we all know it.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Fake_Blood 28 Aug 2013 17:26:11 4,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's designed by kids too.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 28 Aug 2013 17:26:55 10,861 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is basically the NHS specs of the 3DS line. If you're going to have it cheap, you're going to have it ugly.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Aug 2013 17:30:15 39,774 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    But they should have kept the clamshell, it's a good screen protector. Mind you, I've seen plenty of original DS consoles with the screens absolutely gouged full of marks by kids with their styluses so I suppose even then the clamshell doesn't really matter.

I dunno, it doesn't look right.
    At a guess, the design was partially inspired by tablets. Kids use iPads and the like all the time without many problems.
    I'm sure someone will correctly me if I'm wrong, but don't the better tablets like iPads have special glass that help with scratching? Gorilla glass is it? I'm pretty sure Nintendo products don't.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Armoured_Bear 28 Aug 2013 17:32:52 11,917 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It's really not!
    Well it is these days. I'm definitely in the "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed" frame of mind with them these days. It's like they had a half-baked idea (remove the 3D! Genius! Gimmick the removal of a gimmick! Amazing!) and then decided to make it even more stupid by getting rid of the best part of the DS series of consoles (the clamshell design) and then failing to take advantage of the space they've made at the sides AND make it into a stupid wedge shape.

What the fuck is happening at Nintendo?
    Yes, it's utterly appalling, I think they've lost it.

If there is such a thing as "Nintendo magic" it's in playing Pikmin 3.
    Sadly for every amazing game like that there are several unfathomable, retarded decisions that come from them.

They really need a massive shake up in management.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 28 August 2013 17:33:54
    The DS touchscreen was kind of a flexible plastic thing anyway, and screen protectors were the norm.

It's not really a big deal for the market it's aimed at, anyway.
  • DFawkes 28 Aug 2013 17:35:36 24,062 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    It is basically the NHS specs of the 3DS line.
    Do they still do NHS specs in England? I always assumed they went the way of the dinosaur UK wide. Now it's just cash off at Specsavers.

But I digress, I assumed this was a joke at first. It looks like a mock up from before the 3DS release. Still, as has been said it's not for the likes of us.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 28 August 2013 17:37:01
    Actually, reading up on it, it seems the clamshell design was scrapped because it's just one screen under there to cut costs.
  • Fake_Blood 28 Aug 2013 17:38:08 4,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it's hackable it could be kinda fun.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Aug 2013 17:38:50 39,774 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From Polygon. I think this is actually a good point as part of where Nintendo are going wrong:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/28/4667978/opinion-with-the-2ds-nintendo-is-fixing-the-wrong-problem

Nintendo is trying frantically to fix the wrong problem.

With the announcement of its Nintendo 2DS, a 2D-only version of its 3D portable system, Nintendo has codified what it believes is the company's number one problem: price.

The 2DS will be $129.99, $50 cheaper than the normal 3DS. The price point will certainly appeal to people who wanted a 3DS, but hated the entire point of the system. Which, judging from a casual Twitter search, is a fair number of video game devotees.

But attracting game enthusiasts has never been Nintendo's problem. The 3DS could be a grapefruit, so long as it plays another Mario game.

THE 2DS WILL APPEAL TO PEOPLE WHO WANTED A 3DS, BUT HATED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE SYSTEM

No, the 3DS and also the Wii U have a separate problem, far worse than their high, but not insane price points. The real problem is their befuddling messaging, their silly names, their complex compatibilities.

This is as layman an explanation as you'll find for Nintendo's current hardware.

DS games run on the DS, 3DS and 2DS; 3DS games run on the 3DS and the 2DS, but not the DS; and there are no 2DS games.

Wii U runs Wii and Wii U games, but to play Wii games you'll need to run the Wii on the Wii U. Wii doesn't run Wii U games. The GamePad is portable, but it's not mobile, and it's like a DS, but it doesn't play DS games.

Take a moment to catch your breath.

The original logic is understandable, almost reasonable. Nintendo named its latest hardware to capitalize on the tremendously popular Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii brands.

But the company didn't properly distinguish the new hardware from the old. It didn't use familiar language, like numeric iteration (the Nintendo DS 2) or superlatives (the Super Wii). Instead, it went with vague wordplay.

NINTENDO'S REAL PROBLEM IS ITS MESSAGING

And so, the conversation I have time and again with people when they learn about my job is, "Why won't the Wii play Wii U games?" or "I don't get it. The 3DS makes my DS games 3D?"

These people aren't stupid. They're normal, and they're being fed needlessly complex messaging. It's killing Nintendo.

And today we get the Nintendo 2DS: a video game system that doesn't have any games of its own. Try explaining that to the average person.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 28 August 2013 17:39:07
    Yeah. One of these plus an R4 cart or whatever the kids use nowadays and I'd be pretty happy with it.
  • Short-Round 28 Aug 2013 17:50:41 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably aimed at the same very young market as those Leap Frog tablets.
  • Fake_Blood 28 Aug 2013 17:52:21 4,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why isn't the 3DS hacked yet?
    Surely nintendo are not the masters of encryption?
  • senso-ji 28 Aug 2013 18:08:39 6,043 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Why isn't the 3DS hacked yet?
    Surely nintendo are not the masters of encryption?
    It has. A flash cart, similar to the R4, has been created for it, but the problem is that you need a separate micro-SD card per ROM, regardless of either ROM's size or the SD card's capacity.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 18:22:59
    So the Wii U isn't selling too well and now they release another handheld that plays 3DS games but not in 3D? How does that fall into the "3DS family"?

They'd be better off releasing a 2DS app for the iPad with it's own IA eShop. But no they won't hear of it. So here's another console that's a tablet that isn't a tablet that plays 3DS games but not in 3D! :confused:

Edited by DOOMologist at 18:23:16 28-08-2013
  • mal 28 Aug 2013 18:27:08 22,837 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I'm sure someone will correctly me if I'm wrong, but don't the better tablets like iPads have special glass that help with scratching? Gorilla glass is it? I'm pretty sure Nintendo products don't.
    Indeed, because Nintendo uses resistive touch screens which need to be flexible, while most tablets use capacitive touch which responds to fingers (or almost any body part) but don't work with pointy styluses.

Regarding scratching, it's not normally a problem because the screen should be harder than the stylus. But third party styluses can be a problem especially badly made ones with a seam going across the tip, and cheap screen protectors can also exaggerate the problem, as they tend to be softer.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 28 August 2013 18:28:11
    DOOMologist wrote:
    So the Wii U isn't selling too well and now they release another handheld that plays 3DS games but not in 3D? How does that fall into the "3DS family"?

They'd be better off releasing a 2DS app for the iPad with it's own IA eShop. But no they won't hear of it. So here's another console that's a tablet that isn't a tablet that plays 3DS games but not in 3D! :confused:
    Reading on GAF, the 3D actually comes with an age warning of 7+. Effectively they are releasing a console that removes that obstacle, especially with one of the world biggest selling games coming out for it soon.
  • santashi 28 Aug 2013 18:28:34 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd assumed that it was some sort of hoax until I read the article.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• ronuds 28 Aug 2013 18:31:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How large is this in comparison to an open 3ds?
  • Short-Round 28 Aug 2013 18:46:28 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    How large is this in comparison to an open 3ds?
    There's comparison screenshots on the front page. The actual screens of this are even smaller than the original 3DS, which were too small themselves.

Edited by Short-Round at 18:46:58 28-08-2013
  • ronuds 28 Aug 2013 19:00:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There we go!

Seems like a lot of wasted space where there could be screen. Kind of an awkward size overall, imo - not too big, but not small enough to fit in your cargo pants pockets anymore.

Edited by ronuds at 19:02:31 28-08-2013
  • el_pollo_diablo 28 Aug 2013 19:01:27 2,148 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloody awful. If there was any justice in the world the Vita would destroy this.
  • redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 19:25:50 4,573 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    From Polygon. I think this is actually a good point as part of where Nintendo are going wrong:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/28/4667978/opinion-with-the-2ds-nintendo-is-fixing-the-wrong-problem

No, the 3DS and also the Wii U have a separate problem, far worse than their high, but not insane price points. The real problem is their befuddling messaging, their silly names, their complex compatibilities.

This is as layman an explanation as you'll find for Nintendo's current hardware.

DS games run on the DS, 3DS and 2DS; 3DS games run on the 3DS and the 2DS, but not the DS; and there are no 2DS games.

Wii U runs Wii and Wii U games, but to play Wii games you'll need to run the Wii on the Wii U. Wii doesn't run Wii U games. The GamePad is portable, but it's not mobile, and it's like a DS, but it doesn't play DS games.

While I agree Nintendo's branding is confusing, Polygon are over egging the pudding a bit here- anything sounds confusing when you repeat yourself over and over again.

For example:

'Playstation games run on the Playstation, the PSOne, the PS2 and PS3, and via PSN, but those Playstation Network Playstation games only work on the PS3 and PSP and PSV and PS4, not the Playstation or PSOne or PS2. A Playstation portable runs PSP and PSN games, but not PSV games and not all PSN games run on the PSP and PSV, which is portable like a PSP but also allows remote play from PS consoles tethered by wireless, which isn't.

A PSPGo plays PSP games but not UMD PSP games, and PSN games but not all PSN games. A PS3 plays PSOne and PS3 games and used to run PS2 games, while PS4 games can play via streaming on PSV but not on PS3 or PSP, nor do PS3 games or native PS3 PSN work on PS4 etc etc.'

I get the point you're making but Nintendo are being ridiculous enough at the moment without Polygon needing to try so hard.

Edited by redcrayon at 19:47:00 28-08-2013
  • Aretak 28 Aug 2013 19:30:56 10,376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't help but think you've rather missed the point of the article, redcrayon.
  • redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 19:34:43 4,573 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No. I understand the article fine and agree with the broad thrust of it, I just find the linguistic hoops being jumped through in order to make their whole product range sound even more confusing to be a bit laboured when half the products have been discontinued and only exist in stores second-hand.

The 3DS has been out for two and a half years now, that's a huge amount of time to school kids that this monstrosity is aimed at.

Also this bit:

[Quote]And so, the conversation I have time and again with people when they learn about my job is, "Why won't the Wii play Wii U games?" or "I don't get it. The 3DS makes my DS games 3D?"

These people aren't stupid. They're normal, and they're being fed needlessly complex messaging. It's killing Nintendo. Really isn't any different to the Xbox One situation, and the PSV is a similar naming pattern to the WiiU. The problem the WiiU has is far and away completely different to the 3DS, and based around its games library: trying to boil down the issues with both to a single one of just branding ignores their completely different situations.

Branding is important but there's a reason the 3DS eventually dug itself out of the hole it was in, and it was software, not adverts explaining the hardware differences between it and its predecessor. Finally, the article ending by claiming the 3DS product range is somehow contributing to 'killing Nintendo' is ridiculous. The WiiU debacle is another matter entirely.

Edited by redcrayon at 19:59:23 28-08-2013
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 19:41:32
    redcrayon wrote:
    No. I understand the article fine and agree with the broad thrust of it, I just find the linguistic hoops being jumped through in order to make their whole product range sound even more confusing to be a bit laboured when half the products have been discontinued.

The 3DS has been out for two and a half years now, that's a huge amount of time to school kids that this monstrosity is aimed at.
    And also, crucially, the 3DS in general, is doing just fine, and as well as the original DS.

Agree with your point though, there names aren;t ideal, but people do seem to like to harp on about this.
  • richardiox 28 Aug 2013 19:55:26 5,734 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    DOOMologist wrote:

Reading on GAF, the 3D actually comes with an age warning of 7+. Effectively they are releasing a console that removes that obstacle, especially with one of the world biggest selling games coming out for it soon.
    But you could turn the 3D off on the 3DS anyway . the thing that gets me is that wasn't the 3D element one of the key selling points, the console itself wasn't massively powerful. Wasn't it a part of their "disruptive" strategy? Will we now see a Gamepad-less version of the WiiU?
  • redcrayon 28 Aug 2013 20:01:23 4,573 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Part of me wonders if its not just Pokemon.

Puzzle and Dragons has a 3DS version out in Japan at the end of the year. It's huge out there, a FTP smartphone game thats a cross between Bejewelled and Pokemon. Players are used to playing it on smartphones/tablet with one large screen area, which makes me think that this attempt to create one flat tablet-like area might have that in mind.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't part of a big push on that (and other mobile ports) early next year, with the FTP stuff about only being able to play for an hour or so each day removed.

Edited by redcrayon at 20:05:33 28-08-2013
  • Page

of 6 First / Last