Question to PC Gamers - Gamepads Viable?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • akmass 27 Aug 2013 21:09:24 6 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was hoping some of the EG PC gamers could help me out with their experiences. My basic question is about using a PC with a controller (like the Xbox or PS3 pads).

I've gamed on a PC before but never really liked the keyboard/mouse/desk combo -- I'm a writer and spend more than enough time at my desk already. I made an exception for WOW and got used to it, but really just for that game.

So, if I build a PC and hook it up to my TV is playing primarily with a controller a truly viable expectation? I've checked out Steam's Big Pic., which is definitely taking things in the right direction for me. But it also seems like PC games with controller support are still a rarity?

Looking for your general opinions and experience on the matter. And I'm just assuming that if I have an interest in this question, others do too.

Thank you in advance.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 27 Aug 2013 21:10:05 25,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes.
  • Kostabi 27 Aug 2013 21:11:14 4,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pick yourself up a wired 360 pad. The vast majority of PC games support it as standard these days, and it works flawlessly with Steam's big picture mode.
  • Fake_Blood 27 Aug 2013 21:11:16 4,074 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got a TV gaming pc, and most stuff works with a 360 controller.
  • graysonavich 27 Aug 2013 21:11:17 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I haven't played a game that hasn't been fully compatible with my 360 control pad in about 7 years.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Aug 2013 21:11:53 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Big time. Joypads are ace on the pc
  • akmass 27 Aug 2013 21:15:17 6 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies. And all positive on the matter too. Exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like my first Next Gen console will likely be a a PC, assembled at home.

Thanks everyone. Love the EG community.
  • Whizzo 27 Aug 2013 21:15:55 43,036 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The 360 pad is pretty much the defacto standard for gamepads on the PC, it's thought pretty strange when a game doesn't support it, like Mass Effect 3.

Excluding titles where it'd be silly like an RTS of course.

This space left intentionally blank.

• OptimusPube 27 Aug 2013 21:17:32 2,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, I solely use a 360 wired pad on my laptop to game, if a game isn't pad enabled such as Minecraft I use Xpadder and map the keys to it, so yes, the answer is yes.

Most games released in the last five years or so are 360 pad enabled, so you really shouldn't have any problems, it's only games such as the Arma games that have a lot of keyboard commands where you run into problems but with a little patience you grow to use the pad along with the keyboard.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• B0rked_Gamer 27 Aug 2013 21:21:29 2,483 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck wired, I use a wireless 360 pad and it works just fine with most PC games but you might want to avoid the Mass Effect games (fuck you Bioware) and any Infinity Ward developed CoD game (the Treyarch games work with a pad).

I want to point out that I don't actually play any Call of Duty games myself but just know about the CoD controller shenanigans from the 'internet'.
  • ED209 27 Aug 2013 21:29:10 505 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also concur that wired should be fucked. Get the wireless dongle and use your 360 controllers (if you have them). I got the official controller plus dongle from PC World for 35 quid (yes I am insane and it probably costs half as much online). Went wireless and never looked back. Although a lot of indie type games don't support it. And old games. Like the original GTA 1 & 2. Which sucks.

Samantha Janus?

• munki83 27 Aug 2013 21:56:30 1,400 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As everyone else has stated a 360 pad works fine. Its up to yourself if you want to go wireless, would seem like a good idea if you are gaming in your living room. I got my wired 360 remote for my pc years ago on special offer from playt for a pretty good price and its been invaluable. There are some games that just play better with a pad. I think it was the Witcher 2 I had trouble with the controls until I switched to the pad.

Just watched a video on youtube that shows that the new X game is completely controllable with the 360 pad :D
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 22:19:48 5,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wireless dongle and pad for the win, although be aware the Xbone pad will be the new windows pad and it looks like a new dongle will be required, not sure when that happens though.

Pad support is pretty much standard for most devs and has been for a long while, you get the odd bonehead company who for whatever reason thinks you should play how they tell you but these days they stick out of the crowd they are so rare. Bioware, DICE and Infinity Ward are pretty much the main ones I can think of who dogmatically refuse to cater for pad loving customers on games that can be played with a pad. You still get the odd random one like the Bioshock 2 silliness but generally pad support is a given on multiplatform.

Now an important thing to remember is a key mapper, these are rough workarounds for non pad supporting game that map K&M movement to a pad, very ropey on a lot of FPS I find but essential for older games as they will have trouble with the newer pads like 360 pad.

Edited by bad09 at 22:20:35 27-08-2013
  • caligari 27 Aug 2013 22:20:35 16,998 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Pick yourself up a wired 360 pad. The vast majority of PC games support it as standard these days, and it works flawlessly with Steam's big picture mode.
    Wot he sed.
  • B0rked_Gamer 27 Aug 2013 22:27:46 2,483 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Fuck wired, I use a wireless 360 pad and it works just fine with most PC games but you might want to avoid the Mass Effect games (fuck you Bioware) and any Infinity Ward developed CoD game (the Treyarch games work with a pad).

I want to point out that I don't actually play any Call of Duty games myself but just know about the CoD controller shenanigans from the 'internet'.
    Currently playing Mass Effect 2 on PC for the first time, I was surprised it didn't have 360 controller support but I'm not bothered, it's great with keypoard and mouse.

I was told that ME3 does have 360 controller support though, is this not the case?
    No, ME3 doesn't offer pad support and Bioware made it more difficult to restore any pad functionality at all. What a shower of bastards.
  • ZuluHero 27 Aug 2013 22:31:42 4,023 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did you hear..we all use 360 pads it seems.

There was a memo... ;)
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 22:35:12 5,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    No, ME3 doesn't offer pad support and Bioware made it more difficult to restore any pad functionality at all. What a shower of bastards.
    Bioware and ME is a weird one, people have been asking Bioware since ME1 for them to turn the native support in the engine back on and after people managed it themselves in 1 they made it harder for 2. As always it was finally modded and they make it almost impossible in 3 (as far as I know it's still not been possible) and threw in a completely bollocks PR line about how they somehow had no time to copy and paste the 360 interface and switch it on.
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Aug 2013 22:53:20 7,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wireless 360 pad all the way with some rechargeable batteries.  I remember when all we had were those shit logitech pads and fuck all worked with them and their in built keymappers were shit. 
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 23:06:26 5,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

Never mind Logitech how could you forget Microsoft and their previous pads, I got this horror with my first PC

Edited by bad09 at 23:06:45 27-08-2013
  • X201 27 Aug 2013 23:10:09 15,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This was my first PC game pad.

• johnson81 27 Aug 2013 23:11:22 373 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got the PC hooked up to the 50" in the front room. Using a wireless XB360 pad is pretty good for the most part & with the games that don't support the pad I use Joy2Key. It's not perfect but it allows me to play most games fairly well.
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 23:21:37 5,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @X201

God that's horrible :) You can see why they looked to the Dreamcast for inspiration for the 360/windows one, they were crap at controller design :)

360 pad is god though, personally best controller ever even with a dodgy dpad. One of the main reasons I jumped to PC only was I could take my 360 pads.
  • OptimusPube 27 Aug 2013 23:33:28 2,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've come to the conclusion that if you're a desktop PC gamer with it next to your TV hooked up via HDMI or other means and are sat quite far away from it then wireless 360 controller all the way, if though like me and maybe others who have a laptop instead of a desktop then it's wired with a long HDMI lead if you so wish to hook it up to your big TV.

Hope that's cleared everything up.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• neilka 28 Aug 2013 00:16:55 15,665 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HDMI cable + wireless 360 pad = MASTER RACE MEMBERSHIP ACHIEVED

• Deleted user 28 August 2013 00:33:20
    Kostabi wrote:
    Why wired?

The wireless 360 pad is awesome, the batteries last ages.
  • twelveways 28 Aug 2013 05:38:27 3,853 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you guys use pads for fps games too? I spend ages trying to aim with them, much easier with kb&m
  • Mola_Ram 28 Aug 2013 05:41:54 6,981 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I mostly do, but not for multiplayer (except for Chivalry, which isn't really an FPS anyway).

As for the aiming, you get used to it. I realise that KB+M offers better aiming (hence why I use it in MP sessions), but overall I find a pad just more comfortable to use.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous