Stupid things that annoy you but shouldn't Page 25

• Page

of 97 First / Last

• BeardedGamerUK 29 Mar 2014 12:37:01 1,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    People that say 'tune' whenever music plays.

Invariably it's dance music.
    An inappropriate use of the word 'tune' then :)
  • BeardedGamerUK 29 Mar 2014 12:42:53 1,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @PenguinJim The whole people trying to get on a train while people are trying to leave it thing happens all the time on the Underground. All the time as in every single time a train pulls into a station, self important little c*nts barge past people to get on a train that will be replaced by a train going to the same f*cking destination in about 2 minutes!
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Mar 2014 13:38:33 17,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just keep walking. It's the only solution really. If they want me to barrel into them then that's their choice.

You are a factory of sadness.

• saintedd 29 Mar 2014 14:00:29 303 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When you are in Morrison's and you need to keep asking for plastic bags.
    OK I have the bags for life, but sometimes I forget to lift them or have nipped in on the way home ,but come on you can clearly see how much shopping I have, just put the bags out and I will take what I need.
    I don't know why this bothers me so much.
    But it does.
  • danathjo 29 Mar 2014 15:57:24 7,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I just keep walking. It's the only solution really. If they want me to barrel into them then that's their choice.
    I get quite a bit of satisfaction barging these types back elbows out if struggling to exit a train, petty I know but they really irritate me too.
  • mal 29 Mar 2014 16:30:36 22,684 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You could argue that people who use fresh bags each shop are wasteful, and wading through masses of fresh bags to get at our shopping was a minor inconvenience for those of us who do reuse our bags. Thankfully a lot of supermarket people now ask if you want bags before autofilling the packing area with plastic jellyfish. Morrisons are presumably anticipating the bag tax and getting people used to getting new bags being a concrete transaction.

I'm not saying it isn't an inconvenience to have to ask. You could always go to lidl and have to pick up bags before they get scanned through the till.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• smoothpete 29 Mar 2014 17:41:57 31,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mother.
  • killersrquiet 29 Mar 2014 19:41:57 2,045 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Everything. Grrrrr
  • Fake_Blood 29 Mar 2014 20:22:52 4,283 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Call me a cynic but I don't think the plastic bags are going to save us.
  • Sponz 30 Mar 2014 11:54:25 648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harvey Davidson exhausts.

Enjoying the sun, sitting on my balcony, and these noisy small penis cunts fuck up my Sunday relax time.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Mar 2014 12:07:51 17,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I get quite a bit of satisfaction barging these types back elbows out if struggling to exit a train, petty I know but they really irritate me too.
    Edit: just realised I completely misread the above post.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 16:47:50 30-03-2014

• ThrowingTuba 30 Mar 2014 12:16:30 70 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The clocks going forward.
  • RyanDS 30 Mar 2014 12:20:36 9,577 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    This. Why the fuck do some countries insist on doing this idiocy? Choose a time zone and stick with it.
  • Deleted user 30 March 2014 12:25:16
    mal wrote:
    You could argue that people who use fresh bags each shop are wasteful, and wading through masses of fresh bags to get at our shopping was a minor inconvenience for those of us who do reuse our bags. Thankfully a lot of supermarket people now ask if you want bags before autofilling the packing area with plastic jellyfish. Morrisons are presumably anticipating the bag tax and getting people used to getting new bags being a concrete transaction.

I'm not saying it isn't an inconvenience to have to ask. You could always go to lidl and have to pick up bags before they get scanned through the till.
    I thought, the two main counter arguments to re-using bags, were: Nationally, we already recycle our fly-away rubbish quite effectively. And secondly, that the risk of carrying around unhygienic, germ infested bags for life, has a big indirect cost to the NHS and private sector(for lost work days), and life expectancy of the those with less tolerance to germs. Like the elderly.

The solution, is surely,to further streamline the cycling of supermarket bags? Standard paper/cardboard bags, like the US or old days would actually be better and provide superior hygiene, compared to the plastic germ incubators imo.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Mar 2014 12:35:15 17,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    This. Why the fuck do some countries insist on doing this idiocy? Choose a time zone and stick with it.
    It's to do with the agricultural industry, from what I understand. The principle is that there will be more sunlight in the morning through winter to allow for a consistent amount of work to be done. Without it then work on farms would start an hour later which will affect productivity.

• RyanDS 30 Mar 2014 13:04:20 9,577 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    It's to do with the agricultural industry, from what I understand. The principle is that there will be more sunlight in the morning through winter to allow for a consistent amount of work to be done. Without it then work on farms would start an hour later which will affect productivity.
    So why don't the 34 farmers left in the country just get up an hour earlier instead of making 60 million people change their clocks.
  • mal 30 Mar 2014 14:43:35 22,684 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PirateRoberts wrote:
    I thought, the two main counter arguments to re-using bags, were: Nationally, we already recycle our fly-away rubbish quite effectively. And secondly, that the risk of carrying around unhygienic, germ infested bags for life, has a big indirect cost to the NHS and private sector(for lost work days), and life expectancy of the those with less tolerance to germs. Like the elderly.

The solution, is surely,to further streamline the cycling of supermarket bags? Standard paper/cardboard bags, like the US or old days would actually be better and provide superior hygiene, compared to the plastic germ incubators imo.
    Reuse is almost always far more efficient than recycling - melting down plastics and pressing it into new bags takes a lot of energy.

Personally when I started reusing bags I used to mark them if I ever carried raw meat in them, and recycle them after 20 or so uses once they got a bit ragged. Then I picked up some cotton bags, which cost much more than plastic bags to make, but I must have used each one about 1000 times now. They do need washing, but I just wash them with my regular clothes.

I've not seen any studies that suggest paper is any more hygenic than plastic, and it certainly costs a lot more to make a paper bag than it does to make a plastic one. At least paper is naturally biodegradable, I guess, and won't kill seals, although IIRC paper recycling is even more inefficient than plastics.

• Mr_Sleep 30 Mar 2014 15:27:09 17,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    So why don't the 34 farmers left in the country just get up an hour earlier instead of making 60 million people change their clocks.
    No idea. I am sure there is more to it than I know.

• Deleted user 30 March 2014 15:52:51
    mal wrote:
    PirateRoberts wrote:
    Reuse is almost always far more efficient than recycling - melting down plastics and pressing it into new bags takes a lot of energy.

Personally when I started reusing bags I used to mark them if I ever carried raw meat in them, and recycle them after 20 or so uses once they got a bit ragged. Then I picked up some cotton bags, which cost much more than plastic bags to make, but I must have used each one about 1000 times now. They do need washing, but I just wash them with my regular clothes.

I've not seen any studies that suggest paper is any more hygenic than plastic, and it certainly costs a lot more to make a paper bag than it does to make a plastic one. At least paper is naturally biodegradable, I guess, and won't kill seals, although IIRC paper recycling is even more inefficient than plastics.
    It isn't a study, it is basic science. Traditional paper/cardboard bags inherit a lot of their properties for the pulped wood. Wood is inert and importantly, breathable and will easily decompose. Compared to thin air tight plastic layers, that will trap warm air, and go moist, instead of drying out, paper, isn't a great environment for germs to multiply and survive for a long period.

You make a great point about washing the bag with your cloths. Which is certainly, an excellent hygiene solution, if you and everyone else, did that, after every shop. But I'm thinking of hygiene, at the cleaning level of hospitals, and people using hand detergents to combat the spread of something like MRSA.

Traditional paper should have a great solution with washing machines, in today's technology market. We could easily, build and design a new line of hand-powered or electric washing machines, etc , that could be used to recycle paper, at a per house hold level. Either as a pre-process stage, to enable an energy efficient industrial recycle(think old milk bottles and milkman, before plastic bottles), or for self production of recycled printer paper for use in the home or gifted to schools to reduce the need for buying non-recycled or industrially recycled paper. My main issue, is that I feel the bags for life initiative was thought up by an accountant on a spreadsheet, in a supermarket headoffice, and then the facts of the argument were cajoled to guarantee that boost in margins.
  • mal 30 Mar 2014 18:44:18 22,684 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PirateRoberts wrote:
    It isn't a study, it is basic science. Traditional paper/cardboard bags inherit a lot of their properties for the pulped wood. Wood is inert and importantly, breathable and will easily decompose. Compared to thin air tight plastic layers, that will trap warm air, and go moist, instead of drying out, paper, isn't a great environment for germs to multiply and survive for a long period.
    Paper isn't inert. It's made out of hydrocarbons, at the molecular level, and those are pretty easy to get to react - not inert. If it was inert, it wouldn't decompose, but you're right, it is breathable which plastic isn't. I store my spuds in brown paper bags because they're dark and breathable, which help stops the spuds from sprouting, and stops them going rotten from getting damp.

But put a paper bag in a damp, non-sterile environment and it'll rapidly gather a decent culture of bacteria and funghi. Also, for the purposes of transporting your shopping, the plastic used in plastic bags has a much more forgiving failure mode letting you know just before it goes, whereas paper will tear in an instant and drop your eggs all over the pavement without so much as a by your leave.

I'll be the first to admit my clothes washing routine is a long way from sterlisation, especially as my whites load usually has about half a load of my grundies in there too. But it washes in detergent and water, which will do for nasties like MRSA (not that MRSA specifically can last outside the body for that long anyway, I think). It's exactly what they do in hospitals - detergent and water.

I'm with you on bags for life. Main reason they sell those is cos if you cart them about with you out of habit, you'll end up using them for all sorts, advertising the shop for free while you're at it, and to reduce the number of free plastic bags they need to give out of course, which do cost them a fraction of a penny which all adds up.

• onestepfromlost 30 Mar 2014 19:17:49 2,083 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    No idea. I am sure there is more to it than I know.
    To be honest there has been serious debate over the last few years about whether to stop doing it. I believe they worked out it would save energy use (cant really remember why at this point)

Im sure I read somewhere they were also thinking of maybe test driving it somewhere. Although im not sure how that would work with say one town in the UK on one time and the rest on another.
  • Deleted user 31 March 2014 00:34:16
    mal wrote:
    PirateRoberts wrote:
    Paper isn't inert. It's made out of hydrocarbons, at the molecular level, and those are pretty easy to get to react - not inert. If it was inert, it wouldn't decompose, but you're right, it is breathable which plastic isn't. I store my spuds in brown paper bags because they're dark and breathable, which help stops the spuds from sprouting, and stops them going rotten from getting damp.

But put a paper bag in a damp, non-sterile environment and it'll rapidly gather a decent culture of bacteria and funghi. Also, for the purposes of transporting your shopping, the plastic used in plastic bags has a much more forgiving failure mode letting you know just before it goes, whereas paper will tear in an instant and drop your eggs all over the pavement without so much as a by your leave.

“Paper isn't inert”. Quite, in the true sense, virtual nothing we use, could be considered inert in the chemical sense, and would be described as inert with in some context or in terms of excluded caveats. So, sorry, that didn't come out as it sounded originally in my head, when I was comparing how paper bags work in the context of the food carriage and germ incubation.

On hot, cold or damp (air) days, the paper bag is relatively inert to the change in temperature conditions to remaining dry and breathable, without producing much more favourable conditions for germs to grow. By contrast, the plastic carrier, reacts when it traps the hot, cold or damp air, by realising moisture, which produces better conditions for germs to thrive.

The strength and weight aspects of the re-used plastic carrier you describe, is certainly a major benefit over paper. But, as I wouldn't suggest, reusing either carrier, for hygiene reasons. That is very much a moot point imo. And the use of cardboard made egg boxes, to protect the failing eggs from the failing paper carrier bag, doesn't fairly recognise, the importance of the paper packaging to making sure the eggs get home in the best possible condition.

The part, I keep coming back to in my head, is why would anyone think it ismore desirable to use non biodegradable, man made materials, that we need industrial methods to create and destroy, instead of using symbiotic renewable materials that we can create or recycle, Robinson Crusoe style? And the answer I come back to, is profit and selling convenience.
  • RedSparrows 31 Mar 2014 00:43:46 23,244 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People assuming that farmers in this country are all landed gentry playboys who don't actually grow a lot of the food you shove in your fat gobs ;)
  • BeardedGamerUK 31 Mar 2014 07:27:54 1,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DiddlerDo When I was in my early teens I had a watch that played the James Bond theme, closest to a gadget watch I've ever had. Unfortunately it couldn't do my homework for me :D
  • BeardedGamerUK 31 Mar 2014 07:32:14 1,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Having to go to sleep annoys me. It seems like such a waste of time.
  • PenguinJim 31 Mar 2014 07:33:50 5,906 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't you dream? I love dreaming.

Sleep is also very useful for making time fly during long business meetings.
  • BeardedGamerUK 31 Mar 2014 08:54:33 1,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Of course I dream but that's not what I was talking about. If I sleep for 6 hours, then that's 6 hours I could have been doing something more productive.
  • Page

of 97 First / Last