Stupid things that annoy you but shouldn't Page 221

• Page

of 224 First / Last

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Jul 2017 11:37:27 9,365 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You get to keep any gold teeth you remove.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Jul 2017 11:39:24 9,365 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    What's your stance on sodomy?
    It's one of the 4 pillars.
  • boo 8 Jul 2017 11:41:21 13,215 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Clacky keyboards/heavy-fingered typists.
    Guy in our office like that. Older gentleman. I think he learned how to type on a stiff typewriter, because he refuses to use more than his index fingers and thrusts down so hard that you can feel it desks away.

It's like listening to him hatefucking something with his hand.
    Hey, Dave! Didn't realise you were on EG too. I'll try and keep it down a bit in future.

Edited by boo at 11:41:38 08-07-2017
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Jul 2017 11:47:51 720 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Decks you're not the messiah, you're a very naughty boy.
  • Rodney 8 Jul 2017 13:10:32 3,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you read the Old Testament, God is described as walking around, living above the firmament in a tent, and is human shaped because we were made in his image.

When it was written, people literally believed the world was a flat disk and that the sky was a solid dome, through which rain fell from windows. The concept of God was as crude as the stereotype modern atheists laugh at. Jahweh was just one among a pantheon of Gods believed in by the Semitic tribes.

Things got a bit more sophisticated as time progressed, and the Bible is interesting in that you can see the concept
    of God evolving over time. By the time Gospels were written, God became more of an impersonal force that resembles more the God many Christians believe in today.

But the bearded skygod stereotype isnt completely without basis.

Edited by Rodney at 13:11:30 08-07-2017
  • JamboWayOh 8 Jul 2017 13:13:32 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you saying that people have been making this shit up as they go along?
  • thelzdking 8 Jul 2017 13:30:31 5,936 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    David Icke's dad.
  • DutyPedant 8 Jul 2017 13:43:49 183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    What's your stance on sodomy?
    Akimbo.
  • crashVoodoo 8 Jul 2017 18:31:28 5,358 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    If you read the Old Testament, God is described as walking around, living above the firmament in a tent, and is human shaped because we were made in his image.

When it was written, people literally believed the world was a flat disk and that the sky was a solid dome, through which rain fell from windows. The concept of God was as crude as the stereotype modern atheists laugh at. Jahweh was just one among a pantheon of Gods believed in by the Semitic tribes.

Things got a bit more sophisticated as time progressed, and the Bible is interesting in that you can see the concept
    of God evolving over time. By the time Gospels were written, God became more of an impersonal force that resembles more the God many Christians believe in today.

But the bearded skygod stereotype isnt completely without basis.
    Isn't it just Captain Kirk whose gone back in time with a food replicator looking for whales
  • FuzzyDucky 9 Jul 2017 04:13:33 2,175 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The reverence for Jim Morrison.

He wasn't a revolutionary thinker or some deep thinking poet, he was a blathering alco that couldn't keep it in his pants.
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Jul 2017 05:03:49 21,623 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky
    I like The Doors but fair point I think.
  • mothercruncher 9 Jul 2017 06:38:30 13,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My nan loved all his Chalky White stuff though.
  • RyanDS 9 Jul 2017 10:23:58 11,607 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodney wrote:

When it was written, people literally believed the world was a flat disk and that the sky was a solid dome,

Not really... Eratosthenes for instance in 200bc actually accurately measured the diameter of the earth. The fact that people thought the earth was flat is more a Victorian lie to make ancient people sound stupid, rather than reality.

From memory the first reference we have documented of the Earth being a sphere is around 700bc
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Jul 2017 10:36:31 1,423 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The idea of the Earth as a sphere was by no means uncommon in antiquity. What you need to remember, though, is that they didn't have the same kind of scientific or educational systems we have today. Different schools of philosophy had different theories around physics etc, some of which sound ludicrous today, others of which sound uncannily prescient. But even these were purely in the realm of the upper classes (and middle classes at those points where there was a middle class). We've no idea what the average commoner actually thought the world was like.

Classics was my subject at Uni (including postgrad) and while I never focussed on the Biblical side of things (late Roman Republic and early Empire was my schtick), I picked up a bit along the way. None of this stuff will ever be settled, but it's worth remembering that much of what we know today as the Bible (especially the New Testament - look up the New Testament Apocrypha some time if you're curious) was edited very heavily in the early centuries BC. What we've got today has a heavy Graeco-Roman filter laid on top of it and is an "authorised version" palatable to contemporary Roman tastes.
  • Fake_Blood 9 Jul 2017 10:40:34 7,395 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not because one guy figured it out that the whole world suddenly changed their beliefs.
    Internet was very slow in those days.
  • FuzzyDucky 9 Jul 2017 10:54:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I enjoy The Doors' music too, but "music" is the important thing there.

His lyrics are pretty naff in terms of their execution ("come on baby light my fire, try to set the night on, fire") and are as deep as the layer of oil on my pan this morning.

But no, the guy rode on the musical coat tails of the rest of the band, drank himself to oblivion and is somehow remembered as one of the greatest frontmen in rock.
  • Fake_Blood 9 Jul 2017 11:08:04 7,395 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I even feel like if they discovered bacterial life on Mars today, and they analysed the dna and it's completely different from anything on earth, thus proving a second genesis, religions would just carry on.

Do you guys think that some day in the far far future the world will be without religion?
    I think it's some artifact of the human brain, and we will never get rid of it.
  • quadfather 9 Jul 2017 11:20:55 27,812 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it was just a yarn covering all the ages and was nicked and twisted to suit current events at the time (egyptians have a similar load of bollocks that is practically the same as the bible) so that people didn't revolt and realise that life is nothing but survival and kill themselves. I.e., a form of control?
  • Syrette 11 Jul 2017 09:07:35 48,837 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
  • mrpon 11 Jul 2017 09:08:36 33,364 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooooooo!
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Jul 2017 09:58:53 21,146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky Jim Morrison did not write Light My Fire, the guitarist did. Morrison hated the song, apparently.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Jul 2017 10:01:59 9,365 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What kind of a cunt doesn't like Curb Your Enthusiasm references?
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jul 2017 10:06:13 15,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Doors wouldn't be the same without Morrison and his lyrics. Maybe some of the praise is overblown, but saying that he rode the coattails of his bandmates is just wrong imo.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jul 2017 10:18:20 8,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    His lyrics are pretty naff in terms of their execution ("come on baby light my fire, try to set the night on, fire") and are as deep as the layer of oil on my pan this morning.
    'Set the night on fire' is quite a nice bit of abstract poetic lyricism, as are a lot of his lyrics. I don't exactly know what you mean by "deep" but the guy had a way with words. He was also an enormously charismatic and engaging frontman.

I feel like you might be slightly missing the point of how a 'band' works...
  • sport 11 Jul 2017 11:08:10 13,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You just don't GET Jim, guys.
  • nickthegun 11 Jul 2017 11:33:18 71,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm usually the first person to moan about songs rhyming a word with the exact same word, but The Doors are quite plainly on a different level to the likes of Travis or Cast.
  • thelzdking 11 Jul 2017 11:50:46 5,936 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like his croonerish singing. He's like a rough Scott Walker or Bing Crosby, until he starts yelping anyway.
  • mrpon 11 Jul 2017 12:17:36 33,364 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ♫ I don't want to see a ghost,
    It's a sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast
    And watch the evening news ♫
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Jul 2017 08:09:06 4,795 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ecclestone.
  • RichieTenenbaum 27 Jul 2017 15:37:18 2,651 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This doesn't quite fit in here, but it doesn't fit anywhere else either:
    Councils raising money from parking fines

Where I live we have parking permits. All the streets near me have signs saying 'permit holders only'. Still, the street is often clogged with cars parked on both sides. So far so Top Gear.

So last night I park in a bay near my street, with my permit, a bay I park in often.

Woke up to a parking ticket :-<

Turns out that this bay is the only bay for several streets that isn't permit holders only, but is time limited to 2 hours. The signs are nearly identical! I'd never noticed before.

I won't win that challenge. The sign is clear and it is my fault for not reading it fully and just assuming it was the same as others but GRRRRRRRRRRR. It just feels like the council are trying to nickel and dime their residents.
  • Page

of 224 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.