Stupid things that annoy you but shouldn't Page 8

• Page

of 99 First / Last

• JamboWayOh 26 Aug 2013 19:58:51 27 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Also people who refuse to believe an ATM is broken after you've just tried to use it and told them it doesn't work and still fucking try to use it!

Oh and ladies who get on the bus and are amazed that they have to pay to travel and look aimlessly through their purse for change for what seems like 10 bleeding minutes!
  • Jono62 26 Aug 2013 20:05:56 14,357 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    People spending ages at ATMs annoys me. (Quite tolerant of self scan slowness though).
    I hate the people who:

Put card in, put pin in, check balance, take card out, put another card in, put pin in, check balance, take card out, put another card in, put pin in, check balance, take card out and then put the original one in to take money out.
  • iancognito 26 Aug 2013 20:15:41 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Curse poor and old people! Curse them! ;)
  • Phil-McCrack 26 Aug 2013 20:22:58 3,356 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    People checking their Facebook status or some other bullshit whilst at the cinema, turn the cunt off the world isn't going to end in the two hours you're watching a film, in a dark cinema those bright screens are so irritating.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• RightBean 26 Aug 2013 20:41:43 662 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    being the only staff member who has to work on a bank holiday. i'm such a moody bitch!
  • iancognito 26 Aug 2013 21:02:11 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That Strange Habit Some People Have Of Putting A Capital Letter At The Start Of Each Word Annoys Me.
  • ZuluHero 26 Aug 2013 21:09:37 4,304 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the first time i've ever seen it if i'm honest...
  • iancognito 26 Aug 2013 21:24:08 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's Very Common On Something Like Twitter. It's something teens have started doing.

There's also now a habit of not really completing a thought. People don't say "Doing this thing annoys me", they stop at "Doing this thing". Don't say "Putting a capital letter at the start of each word is stupid", use the more abstract "Those tweets where each word starts with a capital".
  • JamboWayOh 26 Aug 2013 21:29:38 27 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    People checking their Facebook status or some other bullshit whilst at the cinema, turn the cunt off the world isn't going to end in the two hours you're watching a film, in a dark cinema those bright screens are so irritating.
    God, my old housemate used to do that all the time, but he was checking his Twitter account as he was always "expecting something important".
  • mal 26 Aug 2013 21:39:36 22,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TBH I could understand it if people were having trouble remembering which words to capitalise, as a reaction to people complaining they never use caps. But do people really have a problem remembering? I quite often don't correctly capitalise names in the middle of a sentence, but that's usually because I'm too lazy to reach for the shift key.

iancognito wrote:
    There's also now a habit of not really completing a thought. People don't say "Doing this thing annoys me", they stop at "Doing this thing". Don't say "Putting a capital letter at the start of each word is stupid", use the more abstract "Those tweets where each word starts with a capital".
    Come again?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• iancognito 26 Aug 2013 21:47:24 1,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not really sure what confused you. You're almost following that meme by not asking a proper question about the bit(s) that didn't make sense.

There's a style of tweets/facebook posts where it's not a real sentence. A full sentence would be "I hate how long people take to get money out at cash machines". On twitter (or other social media) it's quite common to say "People taking ages to get money out at cash machines".
  • RedSparrows 26 Aug 2013 22:52:18 24,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Things I get legitimately annoyed at:

People queuing for something that needs paying for: a bus, or a till, etc. They don't get their wallet/purse out until told the cost. It's as if they thought it was free until told of the specific charge. Rage.
  • sirtacos 26 Aug 2013 23:01:25 7,378 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good discussion re: gay thing.

Anyway this seems to be turning into the "Things that annoy you because they definitely are annoying" thread. Everyone's grievances during the last two pages have been entirely reasonable.

Back OT... people who misinterpret an Internet forum topic title and post what they want regardless of the clear guidelines. Just kidding. I like the direction this thread is taking.

Groups who walk shoulder to shoulder - 3 or 4 people wide - and take up the entire fucking pavement, with the expectation that the seas will part for them. It happens a lot here. The culprits are usually Chinese/Taiwanese. The best response is to refuse to walk around them. Just charge ahead as if they weren't there.

Edited by sirtacos at 23:03:51 26-08-2013
  • crashVoodoo 26 Aug 2013 23:24:51 4,020 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any other drivers inability to navigate a mini roundabout. They drive up to it and then sit there all confused .. who goes first ? me? you? what is this foreign thing before us?!

Also, mother fucking cunt fucks who pull out into your lane on the motorway and then proceed to overtake another vehicle at approximately 1MPH faster meaning it takes fucking ages.

in fact I'm starting to feel rage so I'm off to bed.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:25:36 26-08-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• mal 26 Aug 2013 23:55:38 22,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @iancognito Okay, fair enough. I was confused because in your second phrasing ('Those tweets where each word starts with a capital') you removed the opinion that the thing is stupid, but also added the information that it was tweets on twitter the sentence was referring to (which I guess you could perhaps infer from the context on Twitter, just not here). Threw me a little.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Maturin 26 Aug 2013 23:59:21 3,231 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Also, mother fucking cunt fucks who pull out into your lane on the motorway and then proceed to overtake another vehicle at approximately 1MPH faster meaning it takes fucking ages.
    Truck drivers are the worse for this. Overtaking each other on a steep incline dual-carriageway. Great, now we have a slightly mobile road-block.
  • Arrr9 27 Aug 2013 00:17:51 449 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @sirtacos I employed the shoulder barge a couple of weeks back for that exact thing, walking 4 abreast and expecting the unwashed to scurry around them. The worst of it is I imagine them to feel slighted that somebody had the nerve to keep walking straight rather than try and shuffle around them or walk into the road.

In a very much related topic, fuck Edinburgh during festival time, there's lots going on and shits and giggles to be had but not if you still have to try and function during it all.
  • twelveways 27 Aug 2013 05:56:48 4,192 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RockyMotion

I often use literally the 'wrong' way even though I know the meaning. It's called hyperbole and there is literally nothing wrong with that.
    I find grammar Nazis far more annoying than bad grammar, especially when they join a conversation just to point out mistakes rather than adding anything useful to the conversation.
  • altitude2k 27 Aug 2013 06:26:43 4,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nervous fucking brakers. Travel on the M1 daily, and almost always my reasonable gap to the car in front gets occupied by someone with their left foot constantly hovering over the middle pedal.
  • lordofthedunce 27 Aug 2013 06:37:14 381 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    RockyMotion wrote:
    When people use the word literally without knowing what it means. It has got to be one of the most misused words ever.

"This is taking literally forever to download!"

"He has been skipping classes all year. He's literally screwed!"

"I'm literally dying of laughter!"
    Jamie Redknapp: "In his youth, Michael Owen was literally a greyhound."

I think people are entitled to be annoyed by this, although it can provide amusement
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/255228
    Another victory for the sense of common.
  • kinky_mong 27 Aug 2013 15:42:31 10,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    People who can't use or take ages to use self service machines in supermarkets/shops. Its not rocket science but they act like a caveman trying to operate a space shuttle. By law the shop workers should be allowed to smack their head against the screen while shouting "you press the cash button to pay by cash not phone a fucking friend to ask what to do next"
    People who don't stick their items in the bag after scanning each one at those checkouts wind me up as well, instead leaving it until the end, holding up the queue and causing the machine to bleat "Please take your items" every five seconds as they gingerly place everything one by one into a bag.

Hanging is too good for 'em.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• RockyMotion 27 Aug 2013 17:25:09 2,805 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @twelveways Even though it annoys me I've rarely corrected anyone on the use of the word. And I certainly have never disrupted an ongoing conversation to do so.

A hyperbole is simply an exaggeration, not a complete change of a statement's meaning. Declaring a hyperbolic statement as literal is a contradiction. It can't be literal if it's hyperbolic, and it can't be hyperbolic if it's literal.

So yeah, you're just wrong.
  • Stickman 27 Aug 2013 17:43:49 29,664 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Time to buy a new dictionary.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Fake_Blood 27 Aug 2013 17:50:12 4,450 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A hyperbole is simply a symmetrical open curve formed by the intersection of a cone with a plane at a smaller angle with its axis than the side of the cone.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2013 17:56:29
    RockyMotion wrote:
    @twelveways Even though it annoys me I've rarely corrected anyone on the use of the word. And I certainly have never disrupted an ongoing conversation to do so.

A hyperbole is simply an exaggeration, not a complete change of a statement's meaning. Declaring a hyperbolic statement as literal is a contradiction. It can't be literal if it's hyperbolic, and it can't be hyperbolic if it's literal.

So yeah, you're just wrong.
    The whole point of hyperbole is that it's exaggeration that is obviously exaggeration, to make a point - I could eat a horse, this weighs a ton etc. It's a rhetorical device.

And on that point, I get irritated by people defining a "rhetorical question" as a question that you don't/can't answer. That is often the effect of a rhetorical question, but not the definition. Again, the actual definition is that it's about making a point.
  • wobbly_Bob 27 Aug 2013 20:03:47 1,898 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AH! Just remembered some today. I'm not ath convinced it's a thing that shouldn't wind me up but there's a good chance others will think different. I was ranting about this today so badly I was frothing at the mouth!

It's... Breakfast biscuits. It's people's stupidity rather than that actual product that enrages me so much. Look, it's a biscuit. Just because some marketing twerp dreams it up and advertises that it's a breakfast biscuit makes no difference it's a fucking biscuit!!! It's not a breakfast biscuit it's a biscuit. You may as well be eating a hobnob. I can say all the things they claim about breakfast biscuit about a hobnob: it's full of natural oats that slow release energy throughout the day... Breakfast biscuit is made same as any biscuit, it's full of sugar, it's a fucking biscuit that you are eating for breakfast just like any other biscuit that exists.

It's not that I object to eating biscuits at breakfast. I personally wouldn't but if you want to go for it then it's all good, different strokes and all that. No, it's the fact that if I ate a biscuits for breakfast people would go oooooh that's weird! But now some marketing suits have told you on the television now it's ok. It's a fucking biscuit. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

/breaths into paper bag.
  • ED209 27 Aug 2013 20:13:58 505 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amy Winehouse's apparent disregard for personal hygiene.

Samantha Janus?

• Deleted user 27 August 2013 20:16:33
    I imagine her personal hygiene is slightly worse now.
  • prawnking1980 27 Aug 2013 20:23:09 5,195 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    People who get off a bus through the entrance doors.
  • Page

of 99 First / Last