Stupid things that annoy you but shouldn't

• Page

of 97 First / Last

Previous
  • RichieTenenbaum 25 Aug 2013 02:05:16 2,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Clique is pronounced cleek (as in geek), not click

I think the English cleek will die out as more and more English kids say click after hearing the word on American TV.

For some reason this saddens me and annoys the hell out of me when I hear it. It shouldn't. It's just a little thing.

'I could care less' also makes my blood boil despite the fact it's just a phrase and I should get used to it and stop being so uptight but the raaaaaagggggeeeee.

Are there any things that annoy you, but intellectually you know you shouldn't be annoyed by them?
  • Mola_Ram 25 Aug 2013 02:11:43 7,654 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Greengrocer apostrophes

I know it doesn't matter, I know that there are far worse mistakes, and that apostrophes themselves aren't *really* all that necessary in our language.

But I always notice them. I wish I didn't.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2013 02:19:44
    Text files don't make me cry.
  • b0rk 25 Aug 2013 02:26:30 2,875 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Clique is pronounced cleek (as in geek), not click

I think the English cleek will die out as more and more English kids say click after hearing the word on American TV.

For some reason this saddens me and annoys the hell out of me when I hear it. It shouldn't. It's just a little thing.

'I could care less' also makes my blood boil despite the fact it's just a phrase and I should get used to it and stop being so uptight but the raaaaaagggggeeeee.

Are there any things that annoy you, but intellectually you know you shouldn't be annoyed by them?
    I think intellectually you absolutely should be bothered by 'I could care less' because it makes no sense. ;)

For me 'I could care less' is like nails on a chalkboard and I physically wince when I hear it being used.
  • RichieTenenbaum 25 Aug 2013 02:29:02 2,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Text files don't make me cry.
    Yeah, yeah. How are you still holding that one thing I said 6 months ago, which was perfectly valid but badly phrased against me?
  • sirtacos 25 Aug 2013 02:48:51 7,316 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another vote for misplaced apostrophe's.
  • azurelas_2 25 Aug 2013 02:56:09 1,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @sirtacos :D
  • Telepathic.Geometry 25 Aug 2013 03:20:22 11,401 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Small-talk.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• FuzzyDuck 25 Aug 2013 03:41:29 4,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "Math".
  • FuzzyDuck 25 Aug 2013 04:36:53 4,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, I mentioned this on another forum recently but when people say "I love music, I listen to everything!".

That ""everything" turns out to mean they own a Club Hits 2K13 album, two Britney Spears singles, and they once heard the Foo Fighters in their mate's car :rolleyes:
  • GuiltySpark 25 Aug 2013 05:13:36 6,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People who make no effort to branch out into things. Taking FuzzyDuck's example, Foo Fighters. It's a nice, easy entry into rock music - but why stop there? Why only listen to what's on the front of Kerrang? Mass market music will always be inferior because it has to cater to a massive audience. Find your niche and revel in it. I found a certain sound and atmosphere that I adore, and it doesn't limit me to one genre.

Some people just are content in watching NCIS rather than Breaking Bad, or watching Identikit Action/Horror film #2, and it utterly annoys the hell out of me. To me, it says that the person is fucking dull and probably not overly intelligent.

It annoys me, but I guess it shouldn't.

Get bent.

• FuzzyDuck 25 Aug 2013 05:40:07 4,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    [rant]Yeah I just can't my head around that extreme tunnel vision mentality.

I actually had one of these so-called music lovers wince recently at my stash of CDs (hovering around the 900 mark; not exactly small, but hardly earth shattering), "oh how can you remember all the songs?".

My taste goes from death metal, jazz, pop from the 50s to the mid 90s, funk, Motown, disco, prog rock, electronica, classical, grunge, you name it, and I've been told I only listen to all these things to "appear interesting" and that I want to be pretentious (or enduring a severe dose of "living in a small town in the arse end of Ireland" syndrome).

I retorted that my pile of CDs are only the tiniest fraction of recorded music of what's actually available. And by extension of that, there's so, so much creative and knowledgeable work out there to consume; and we're at a point technologically that we can have several centuries' worth of it at our fingertips and yet people are content to try absolutely nothing new and to top it all off I was once asked "why would you want to learn new stuff as an adult, it's like being back at school?!".

Because fucking learning is such a crime to these mouth breathers :rolleyes: [/rant]

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 05:41:48 25-08-2013
  • Nanocrystal 25 Aug 2013 05:53:25 1,070 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ^ Reminds me of this:

• FuzzyDuck 25 Aug 2013 06:06:25 4,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah ha ha, yes, I told that exact person to go watch some Hicks (of course to be greeted by a blank stare and a "whhhhoooo?").
  • PenguinJim 25 Aug 2013 06:10:57 5,906 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hudson, sir. He's Hicks.
  • jonsaan 25 Aug 2013 07:02:57 25,360 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'H' is pronounced 'eightch' and not fucking 'Heightch'

FCUTA!

• OptimusPube 25 Aug 2013 07:11:49 3,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    [rant]Yeah I just can't my head around that extreme tunnel vision mentality.

I actually had one of these so-called music lovers wince recently at my stash of CDs (hovering around the 900 mark; not exactly small, but hardly earth shattering), "oh how can you remember all the songs?".

My taste goes from death metal, jazz, pop from the 50s to the mid 90s, funk, Motown, disco, prog rock, electronica, classical, grunge, you name it, and I've been told I only listen to all these things to "appear interesting" and that I want to be pretentious (or enduring a severe dose of "living in a small town in the arse end of Ireland" syndrome).

I retorted that my pile of CDs are only the tiniest fraction of recorded music of what's actually available. And by extension of that, there's so, so much creative and knowledgeable work out there to consume; and we're at a point technologically that we can have several centuries' worth of it at our fingertips and yet people are content to try absolutely nothing new and to top it all off I was once asked "why would you want to learn new stuff as an adult, it's like being back at school?!".

Because fucking learning is such a crime to these mouth breathers :rolleyes: [/rant]
    We are the same you and I, I can listen to absolutely anything and have recently in the last six months or so just got into bluegrass music, I listen to a lot of music at work and often get asked what I'm listening too, one guy who's in his forties thinks Bruce Springstein, U2 and Beyonce are the be all and end all in music, he makes me cringe so hard.

Edited by OptimusPube at 08:51:36 25-08-2013

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• FuzzyDuck 25 Aug 2013 07:30:35 4,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @OptimusPube

Huzzah!

Yeah I've got my favourite genres, but the main decider is in the quality of the music. Crikey, there's even a few hip hop albums I enjoy. Argh, I want to berate people like that!

I was at a blugrass gig last week (shameless plug for these local lads having a good go of it) - the pub was practically hopping by the end of the gig! (and they even threw in a Van Halen cover for good measure).
  • morriss 25 Aug 2013 07:38:36 71,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli
  • wobbly_Bob 25 Aug 2013 07:45:03 1,821 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Starting every sentence with "so"

Has his game got multiplayer?
    So it has a fully fledged mode.
    And how long is the single player?
    So it's roughly 12 hours!

Gahhh!!! Strangely I only see this weird usage in video games development teams and the interviewers.
  • twelveways 25 Aug 2013 07:46:40 4,061 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @jonsaan

It annoys you that it is pronounced 'eightch' (aych is a better way of phoneticising it)?

I always prefix it with a /h/ sound, it just makes more sense that way.
  • Puppaz 25 Aug 2013 08:05:44 328 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "For sure" at the start of every other sentence. It really shouldn't bother me as it seems to originate from people learning English as a second language, which is a good thing.
    Seems to have infiltrated most sports now, I've started counting the number of times it's used whilst F1 is on.
  • mrpon 25 Aug 2013 08:16:19 29,183 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fat people

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• iancognito 25 Aug 2013 08:19:22 1,396 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For sure, it's said as often as Martin Brundle says "mighty".

RAR files. Like normal zip files but less compatible.

Adding to "so" - "actually". I actually just had a cup of tea. I might actually have some toast in a minute. Can't decide if I'll actually shave today or not.
  • iancognito 25 Aug 2013 08:57:14 1,396 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ebay listings that say "grab yourself a bargain". The grab part makes me imagine scrambling around like some sort of shameless beggar but worse than that, how do they know if the final selling price will be a bargain or not. Utter scum.
  • OptimusPube 25 Aug 2013 08:57:17 3,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @OptimusPube

Huzzah!

Yeah I've got my favourite genres, but the main decider is in the quality of the music. Crikey, there's even a few hip hop albums I enjoy. Argh, I want to berate people like that!

I was at a blugrass gig last week (shameless plug for these local lads having a good go of it) - the pub was practically hopping by the end of the gig! (and they even threw in a Van Halen cover for good measure).
    Yeah he often asks what's that shit you're listening to now, he only listens to what's massively popular, I often hear him singing that fucking umbrella song.

It was this song that got me into Bluegrass.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• ZuluHero 25 Aug 2013 08:58:48 4,198 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck i listen to everything from my little pony to turisas. Though as ive gotten older i can't listen to some stuff anymore. It just sounds like angry noise.

On the subject of things that annoy me..bloody kids walking around listening to music on their phone. I don't know how they enjoy it, it just sounds like tinny noise.

And whats with leaving stickers on the peak of their caps? i don't get it!!

GET OFF MY LAWN. Mumble, mumble...

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:01:16 25-08-2013
  • Deleted user 25 August 2013 09:00:12
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    People who make no effort to branch out into things. Taking FuzzyDuck's example, Foo Fighters. It's a nice, easy entry into rock music - but why stop there? Why only listen to what's on the front of Kerrang? Mass market music will always be inferior because it has to cater to a massive audience. Find your niche and revel in it. I found a certain sound and atmosphere that I adore, and it doesn't limit me to one genre.

Some people just are content in watching NCIS rather than Breaking Bad, or watching Identikit Action/Horror film #2, and it utterly annoys the hell out of me. To me, it says that the person is fucking dull and probably not overly intelligent.

It annoys me, but I guess it shouldn't.
    Some people, better people, don't care about branching out into other TV shows because they have more important things going on in their life. Also, something like breaking bad is not for everyone.
  • Page

of 97 First / Last

Previous