The Stand movie - how should it be done?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ChronoTravis 24 Aug 2013 16:58:11 145 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So it looks like this dude Scott Cooper will be directing the film adaption of Stephen King's The Stand. This announcement confirms that The Stand movie is still a thing, but it got me wondering if it could work as a single movie. For those of you who have read the book (I suggest you do, if you haven't) you know that it is a very long story, with a large cast of characters, and it moves all around the post-apocalyptic USA. I don't see how it could work as anything less than a trilogy, and probably with each installment being at least 2 hours or longer. Do you guys think that they should move the setting from the early 90's to the present? Who are some good actors for the characters?
  • jonsaan 24 Aug 2013 17:02:43 25,342 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feels like a Walking Deadesque aproach would be a better fit to me.

Flagg is also in the Eyes of the Dragon. Another simply fabulous book.

Edited by jonsaan at 17:09:41 24-08-2013

Edited by jonsaan at 17:10:11 24-08-2013

FCUTA!

• DFawkes 24 Aug 2013 17:05:36 22,789 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't feel that it's too important that it's set in any specific time, but I think you're right that it's too big for a single movie. I'd have it as part of a new franchise, perhaps adding some overt links to a certain tall black structure.

Might be a bit much going for that though. Definitely a couple of films at least.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• JamboWayOh 24 Aug 2013 17:07:36 27 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Knowing Hollywood's desire for instant return on a project and fear of risk I sincerely doubt it'll be a trilogy. A stand alone project and nothing more and as a result the narrative will be shredded to hell. Also it's going to be the kind of film led by no name actors to keep cost's down and perhaps one big actor to play Flagg, say someone like Malkovich.
  • drhcnip 24 Aug 2013 17:09:24 2,488 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    definitely, the tv adaptation was 6 hrs....

love the stand
  • thedaveeyres 24 Aug 2013 17:11:43 10,884 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Captain Trips doesn't kill everyone, it brings them back as running zombies.

Instead of a road trip through a deserted America, a series of cgi set prices where our heroes cut swathes through the zombie horde.

At the showdown in Vegas, the heroes kill the bad guys by hiding in fridges at the last minute, after the grandma (Megan Fox) shoots Flagg between the eyes with a sliver bullet.

It's going to make a fortune.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• jonsaan 24 Aug 2013 17:13:51 25,342 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Larry Underwood will probably be played by Justin Bieber or someone equally horrendous.

FCUTA!

• JamboWayOh 24 Aug 2013 17:19:31 27 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @jonsaan

Or Logan Lerman. He's Bieber-lite. Twat.

• ChronoTravis 24 Aug 2013 17:28:59 145 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jonsaan You mean as an on-going series, that keeps the basic setup and characters, but diverts from there? That's an interesting though, but I feel like I would be more satisfied by a more direct adaption of the book. Still, I would definitely watch it as a TV series. The Eyes of the Dragon is one of the more overt appearances of Flagg, but he has also popped up elsewhere in varying forms in other King stories :) Having some screen adaption of The Stand, alongside a TV series or movie series of the Dark Tower, could be really epic, especially for a certain scene in Wizard and Glass :)

I feel like Joshua Jackson could be a good Stu Redman, or even Larry Underwood, but I kind of feel like they should cast a black actor as Stu, to give a bit more diversity to the main cast. For all of its strengths, the book was not very ethnically diverse in cast of plague survivors.
  • beastmaster 24 Aug 2013 17:41:15 11,328 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How should it be done? Not at all.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Blerk Moderator 24 Aug 2013 17:48:35 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    How should it be done? Not at all.
    +100
  • Trowel 24 Aug 2013 18:21:23 17,602 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Waltz? Not sure about that. Flagg needs to be an Akuma-like presence - you almost want someone like Vin Diesel (except not Vin Diesel obviously).
  • ChronoTravis 24 Aug 2013 18:24:18 145 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're implying that somehow an anti-gay Flagg would appear more to mainstream American audiences, then perhaps you don't realize that most Americans support gay rights. Christoph Waltz would have the acting skills and charisma, but in the book, Flagg is very tall and muscular, and physically imposing, which does not really describe Waltz. It's too bad that Gary Sinise is now too old to play Stu, because he was absolutely perfect in the mini series.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Aug 2013 18:59:04 27 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Trowel

The Rock?
  • DFawkes 24 Aug 2013 19:02:11 22,789 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite liked Jamey Sheridan in the 90s mini-series. He had that cool swagger to him, but that intense stare and evil grin for when it was required. That's the sort of person they need. Not sure I can think of a current named star that'd really fit.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• nickthegun 24 Aug 2013 19:19:42 59,462 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Randall Flagg needs to continue wearing triple denim.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ChronoTravis 24 Aug 2013 19:26:55 145 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Harold was a very interesting character, and I felt a tragic one. The sad part is that he seemed to be getting himself together for a while, and it looked like he was going to finally stop being a loser, but then he lost it. I always liked Larry's best, and his struggle with inner demons, if you will, is similar to Harold's character arc, but with a wildly different outcome.

Edited by ChronoTravis at 19:27:37 24-08-2013
  • Ged42 24 Aug 2013 19:47:22 7,719 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm surprised King gave the okay for this. I always got the impression he hated having his books heavily altered and they're going to have to hack The Stand to bits to get it down to movie length.

I imagine they'll go with Gary Oldman for Flagg, he going go from charming to bonkers at the flick of a switch.

I wonder if this is part of a big plan to film all the books that are referenced in the Dark Tower then finish off the Roland's story, it'd be nice if it was.
  • munki83 24 Aug 2013 21:37:18 1,412 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Larry David for Flagg.

The stand is one of my favourite Steven King books. Id prefer a tv mini series as I can't see it all fitting in one film unless they cut it severely. Javier Bardem would also make a good flag
  • ChronoTravis 24 Aug 2013 21:40:40 145 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not entirely sure that King even has the ability to stop them. It depends if he sold the movie rights in the past.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 13:34:20
    ChronoTravis wrote:
    So it looks like this dude Scott Cooper will be directing the film adaption of Stephen King's The Stand. This announcement confirms that The Stand movie is still a thing, but it got me wondering if it could work as a single movie. For those of you who have read the book (I suggest you do, if you haven't) you know that it is a very long story, with a large cast of characters, and it moves all around the post-apocalyptic USA. I don't see how it could work as anything less than a trilogy, and probably with each installment being at least 2 hours or longer. Do you guys think that they should move the setting from the early 90's to the present? Who are some good actors for the characters?
    It would have to be a trilogy. For them to try and cram that book in it's entirety into Hollywoods love of the 2hr film would kill it.

Anyone know why the director/studios feel like they have to make their version of the novel? If you've read The Shining then you'll know what I'm on about. The film is hollow. And don't get me started on the film version of Dreamcatcher. It's the worst film I've seen.
  • Tonka 28 Aug 2013 13:44:06 20,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the TV adaptation is rather good. It's cheesy at times and some of the SFX ...

But I find it to be a great way to spend a few evenings.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 28 Aug 2013 13:46:13 7,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Matthew McConaughey for Flagg please.
  • Tonka 28 Aug 2013 13:51:57 20,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For the Swedish book cover the artist chose to interpret "The Dark Man" rather literally.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• YenRug 28 Aug 2013 13:59:56 2,123 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka Whoops...
  • ChronoTravis 29 Aug 2013 16:15:37 145 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The TV mini series was quite good, especially with the casting; Gary Sinise nailed it as Stu Redman. It left out quite a bit of non-plot essential parts for time, and probably for money reasons, and it had that sometimes cheesy made for TV look, but it was quite enjoyable overall. I think that a new HBO style mini-series with a decent budget and no content restrictions, would be great. Speaking of the mini series, if any of you have watched the latest video of the Wasteland 2 video game, notice how much the music in it is reminiscent of The Stand mini-series, because the same guy composed both soundtracks :).
  • yegon 29 Aug 2013 16:26:42 5,218 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Needs more Rob Lowe.
  • YenRug 1 Sep 2013 00:15:12 2,123 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ChronoTravis The one problem with the TV series: Randall Flagg being played as a "good ole boy".

The actor they got for him was pretty much perfect, looks wise, but what they needed to do was keep his face in deep shadow as much as possible and have him played in a menacing way; when he made you an offer, you didn't just accept because it was the best thing you could have happen to you, but because you knew it would be bad for you if you didn't.

What you got was a guy in denim being all chatty, if you started to turn against him he then started turning mean, but what you really needed was it to be obvious that you had to be stupid (or incredibly brave) to say no.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous