Europa Universalis IV Page 3

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Garfy 25 Jan 2014 13:57:53 683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About to start my first game I was thinking Portugal for the colonising.

Any other tips for playing as them?
  • WrongShui 25 Jan 2014 15:07:26 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Be friendly with Spain, ditch England, well I always do, keep dragging you into European wars they hardly fight in.
  • Garfy 25 Jan 2014 15:50:42 683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, being drawn into the losing side of the hundred years war does seem like a bad idea ;-), so long England!
  • teamHAM 25 Jan 2014 16:44:16 2,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Portugal is really a lot of fun if you are wanting to colonize. As has been said, drop England as an ally, at least until they have sorted out the HYW and also the war of the roses. When they are stable and have amassed a huge navy they become a handy ally, especially for a country like Portugal.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Cosquae 25 Jan 2014 16:54:47 1,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As Portgual, some of the very first missions are make friends with Castille, Royal Marriage and Alliance with them. Makes sense and gets you some bonuses along with that.
  • teamHAM 27 Jan 2014 10:57:45 2,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was looking across the web for a guide for something in game and came across this guide. I found it pretty well laid out and it gives some solid information for people that aren't quite au fait with all the mechanics (which is definitely most people I'd imagine!). The bits towards the end of the guide on War I found pretty helpful.

So if you want to have a peek, click here!

• basmans_grob 30 Jan 2014 11:04:49 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    is it worth getting this now ror waiting until they finish releasing all the DLC for it?

I played EU1,2 and 3 but 4 appears to have passed me by. Should I go for CK2 instead? Didn't play CK1 so don't know alot about it
  • andytheadequate 30 Jan 2014 11:56:46 8,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I prefer EU to CK. The game is so huge that there's no real need to wait for the expansion imo
  • Cosquae 30 Jan 2014 14:13:05 1,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CK 2 is more concentrated, deeper strategy but over a smaller area (a lot more dynastic planning, less global colonizing).

They're still making and releasing DLC for CK2 so I imagine you'll be waiting a long time before they finish making DLC for EU4.
  • basmans_grob 31 Jan 2014 09:54:20 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    damn it. I was rather hoping it had come down in price by now.
  • Garfy 31 Jan 2014 11:09:58 683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    damn it. I was rather hoping it had come down in price by now.
    I don't know if they are any good but Bundle Stars has EU4 for 8.75 at the moment.
  • teamHAM 31 Jan 2014 11:22:14 2,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alternatively you can buy from here. Lots of options around the 14 mark.

If you are worried about reliability you should pick BGP as the seller because I have used them before and can vouch for them.

• basmans_grob 31 Jan 2014 11:53:30 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did not know that place existed. Thats an excellent tip.
  • RedSparrows 31 Jan 2014 12:03:07 22,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think EU IV sounds more up my street than CKII. Shame I have the latter :D I really should try and get into it.
  • Cosquae 1 Feb 2014 10:44:06 1,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EU4 and all the DLC now 75% off. Base game 8.75

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/europa-universalis-iv/
  • zoolophage 1 Feb 2014 11:20:02 1,774 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    EU4 and all the DLC now 75% off. Base game 8.75

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/europa-universalis-iv/
    Thanks for the link. Ordered the base game and all the DLC for 13.75. All the keys installed successfully on Steam.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• basmans_grob 1 Feb 2014 15:16:54 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    same here, great spot
  • andytheadequate 1 Feb 2014 17:22:41 8,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How do you use colonists? I've now gained one but don't know what to do with it...
  • Garfy 1 Feb 2014 17:49:15 683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    How do you use colonists? I've now gained one but don't know what to do with it...
    Go to the empty province you want to colonise and there should be a send button, if it's greyed out hover over it to find out why
    (probably range).

Once you've sent the colonist make sure you send some troops to protect against the native inhabitants.

My first game with Portugal is going well, I have lands from the new world all the way to India!
  • Cosquae 1 Feb 2014 18:14:01 1,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sending troops isn't essential, there are ups and downs to wiping out the natives before or during colonising.

Generally speaking, low aggressiveness natives can be left alone and may even help income and colony growth.
  • andytheadequate 1 Feb 2014 18:50:08 8,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How do I explore then? Can I just use normal ships to explore new lands?
  • teamHAM 1 Feb 2014 18:57:52 2,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you want to go through Terra Incognita in the ocean, then use a light ship with an Explorer as the leader. Light Ship because they are fast and the ship will take heavy attrition in ocean tiles. The more Maneuver skill the Explorer has the better aswell.

If you are going through Terra Incognita on land you need to get your soldiers and make a Conquistador as leader.

So what I tend to do is have a light ship with Explorer at the front, pushing away the fog and behind it have some transport ships with an army with Conquistador. Then when I find some land drop the army off on land.

As for what has been said about not sending troops - I always send some troops because if you have no troops and the natives are aggressive they will wipe the progress of your colony (ultra frustrating when it takes years to assemble and you are a few months from completing it). Also I've had Castile declare war on me to take my colony and they just marched a stack onto it and I lost it immediately, no siege or anything. Again, ultra frustrating. So I always take an army of 5k men or something until the colony is properly established.

But sometimes there are events that give you an option to integrate the natives which increases your population, this is obviously good as it speeds up the construction.

• RedSparrows 1 Feb 2014 20:13:48 22,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've also picked Portugal, and am enjoying it. I've been trying to move trade around, capitalising on Seville's node, and have decided to explore my options in North Africa, as I think it'll teach me about culture and religion, and then I can go to colonisation.

Question: I have Ceuta, as of 1444. It's Berber, Sunni. I want it to be Portugese, Catholic, obviously. To change the former I need to change the latter, but my missionary has no chance of conversion due to tax values...? What does that have to do with it?

I assume it'll take decades to change it, but that's ok. I just want to know the steps to take. Any tips?
  • Garfy 1 Feb 2014 20:24:11 683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RedSparrows Later in the game you will have a chance to convert provinces as you tech up and get other bonuses.

For now it's a liability. I sold Ceuta to Morocco's rival, just for a laugh ;-)
  • andytheadequate 1 Feb 2014 21:46:45 8,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM - ah, so I need an explorer. How do I get one of them?

Edit - stupid auto correct

Edited by andytheadequate at 19:18:18 02-02-2014
  • WrongShui 1 Feb 2014 21:48:48 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    National Ideas in the exploration group..
  • teamHAM 1 Feb 2014 22:14:40 2,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Take Exploration Ideas and the 2nd idea is Quest for the New World. Then you can recruit Conquistadors and Explorers from the same place you hire Generals and Admirals.

Remember you only need Conquistadors and Explorers if you are going through Terra Incognita. If Portugal/Castile/England have been there before you, you only need to use a normal leader and then a colonist.

• RedSparrows 2 Feb 2014 13:27:11 22,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Addicted. Uh oh.
  • RedSparrows 2 Feb 2014 19:35:32 22,884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Where'd the afternoon go?

I built up trade, and then colonised some of West Africa, the Cape Verde islands, and then north-eastern Brazi, where now the colony of Portugese Brazil pays me lovely tariffs and I butter them up with my diplomats. I am channeling all trade towards Seville, where Castille and I have roughly equal shares.

I did in fact try to take Galicia from them, but their massive armies threatened Lisbon and I sued for peace. 15 years later and we're crushing Morocco together - Tangiers and Casablanca + 50% of Morocco's remaining trade power are now mine. Mwahahaha!
  • Page

of 34 First / Last