Europa Universalis IV Page 6

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• DamoVotf 10 Feb 2014 12:26:44 520 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    DamoVotf wrote:
    I gave it a go yesterday after playing through the Tutorials. Its a pretty hard game to get into.

I was playing spain and took the mission to invade Granada, by the time my army had subdued them my entire country was basically in revolt.
    Sounds like you were attacking Grenada at the wrong time. Did you pick a Casus Belli (prob the Reconquista for that) when you went to war? If you attack at the wrong time (e.g. under a truce, without CB etc) you get massive penalties that might explain why, in accord with other factors, you got revolts.

Only declare war when you can strike the very same moment, and CB's are essential unless you're mega powerful.
    Yeah I had the reconquista as my cassius bell. To be honest I havent a clue what im doing and just need to spend more time with it.

It seems like a far more advanced version of the Total War campaigns of old, which I loved.
  • Cosquae 10 Feb 2014 12:33:42 1,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DamoVotf wrote:
    It seems like a far more advanced version of the Total War campaigns of old, which I loved.
    Oh my, yes...

In Total War, if you were at a disadvantage you could always fight the battles manually. Here if a stronger power decides to pick on you there's not much you can do other than cry and surrender.
  • basmans_grob 10 Feb 2014 13:15:11 263 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would be up for some MP action myself. Sunday evenings GMT???

If we had a pool then we could have a floater who sits in when an individual couldn't make it????
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2014 13:15:29 8,080 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's always worth making sure you're unlikely to have rebellions before starting a new war. Try convert regions to your religion and make any newly conquered regions core provinces before moving on. Another good tip is to try and keep your stability high.

If none of this works, use military power to temporarily reduce the revolt risk of a region. You can check this in one if the tabs.

When I was Castile, I had a lot of problems at first with North Africa as I conquered them too quickly. I was unable to convert them to Catholicism as my missionaries weren't good enough, and I was struggling to afford to make them all cores at once. It's much easier now, I have +3 advisors for everything and a tonne of money, if they do rebel my armies crush them, but I'm usually able to convert them and make them core provinces within a few years.
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2014 13:16:43 8,080 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    I would be up for some MP action myself. Sunday evenings GMT???

If we had a pool then we could have a floater who sits in when an individual couldn't make it????
    I generally play most evenings from 11pm. I am sometimes on earlier but can't guarantee what times
  • WrongShui 10 Feb 2014 13:52:31 6,600 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    How did you start it? I vassalised Serbia and Bosnia and Carnac, and it didn't stop them steam rolling me. Didn't help I got a regency just as I was planning to strike. it's hard to engineer help via diplomacy.
    This was back at version 1.1 but basically you spend all your money on galleys, wait for the Ottomans to declare war in East and then when their troops move over there you declare war, blockade the strait at Constantinople and then occupy their western provinces. Since you have the strait secured they can't attack you and you don't sue for peace till as late as possible by which point the Ottomans will collapse under their high war exhaustion and you can conquer them easily in a second war.

I haven't played this in ages now though so I'm not up to date on all the latest changes.

My last game was with the HRE and I think it was my most successful campaign yet.

• RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 14:43:22 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've read that 1.4 changes things re: that blockade system. Also, OE never declares war in East before it turns on me :(
  • WrongShui 10 Feb 2014 15:00:54 6,600 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll have to have another crack at it, I was trying to resist but all you people talking about it have weakened my resolve, you jerks.
  • teamHAM 10 Feb 2014 17:32:54 2,755 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd be happy to get involved in Multiplayer, yet I have never played it yet. I've only ever played Single Player. Is it asynchronous or do you have to sit at your keyboard until the game ends?

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Garfy 10 Feb 2014 18:13:48 672 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen a few Multiplayer Youtube videos, all players are on and synced up at the same speed.
    Faster than 3 seems to be unstable tho.
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 19:24:48 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think you play it in periods, not all at one go - would take days of continuous play :D

Now playing Brandenburg. Expanded nicely at expense of Teutonic Order and Pomerania and Mecklenburg. Then I over-extended and am now spending years rebuilding...
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2014 19:58:46 8,080 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hoe does the speed work in multiplayer? Can anyone pause it?

If anyone wants to get involved, add me on Steam. Username should be the same as on here
  • Garfy 10 Feb 2014 20:14:47 672 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andytheadequate Don't quote me on this but I think it is the host who sets the speed while anyone can pause (no one else can override your pause for 30 seconds).
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 20:59:09 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd like to play it co-op more than angry invasiony, I think ^^
  • Cosquae 10 Feb 2014 21:01:10 1,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't worry, I'll be your ally! Now just send all your forces over to Australia, don't worry, I've got your back...
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 21:31:57 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'll be like that Diplomacy game again, but with many more painful hours invested ;(
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2014 21:52:51 8,080 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be fair, I think we'd need to have some sort of agreement where we don't attack other human players. No one wants to play that long then get annihilated!
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 22:07:39 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could we crush the Ottomans and kick them in the balls?
  • basmans_grob 10 Feb 2014 22:37:48 263 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    isn't the whole point to ingore the NPCs and just go for the humans?
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2014 23:02:35 8,080 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the game is too long for it to be competitive, certainly for me anyway. Perhaps picking the nations around the Ottomans could be fun
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 23:43:09 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup agree with Andy. Too long for competitive stress ^^
  • Cosquae 11 Feb 2014 08:13:34 1,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, even in Day Z I won't screw up a few hours of my friends work (strangers are fine, but hey, it's Day Z). Same applies to EU/Civ since that's an even bigger investment in character/state.

Unless of course everyone agrees to it, but I think there are better games to get all combaty in (Total war).

Doesn't strictly have to be an alliance, unless that's mutually beneficial of course, just a gentleman's agreement.
  • RedSparrows 11 Feb 2014 08:17:56 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyway the thing about EU is that you are always competitive in a way, but it's not always overt and belligerent.
  • teamHAM 11 Feb 2014 09:35:21 2,755 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there chat in the game? I've never noticed but there must be a command line style chat? That would make it a lot easier to communicate. I'd definitely be up for some MP if we can agree some days/times.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• RedSparrows 11 Feb 2014 09:51:24 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think some war could be fun - but war within reason, as it were, conducted honourably (in peace terms) - no full annexations etc.

That or we all conquer the world together, then unleash a massive royal rumble and watch it at full speed :D
  • andytheadequate 11 Feb 2014 10:16:09 8,080 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm available most days but only fairly late at night (from 11). If other people are around then let me know what days would be best.

Started a war with a small African state last night, expecting a quick war. I didn't realise they were allied to Brittany and Lorraine who are pretty powerful in my game (half of France a fair few colonies). I tried invading but the attrition was getting the better of my armies. Luckily, my 7 colonies utterly destroyed their colonies, they had literally none left so I managed to steal a few in the peace. Might lose a bit of money when a colony is created, but they are so useful when it comes to war. Don't have to waste money developing or arming them.

Although I now earn nearly 300 a month, so money isn't really a problem...
  • RedSparrows 11 Feb 2014 10:21:37 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup, colonies are really great. Well, as long as they act as they should/are large enough. Portuguese Caraibas was too small and too inefficient to ever help with my North American wars. Luckily New Portugal and Spain's colonies were on the ball.
  • RedSparrows 11 Feb 2014 20:04:23 22,058 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FUCK YOU GERMAN STATES

I foolishly agreed to help an idiot minor state take on the Hansa. The Hansa kicked my ass. I hate them. I will crush them.

But then, as I recover, a coalition attacks. Cunts the lot of them. I'm going to burn their houses and steal their women.
  • Cosquae 11 Feb 2014 21:22:44 1,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Much more effective to steal their houses and burn their women, or maybe that's just slightly psychopathic...
  • Orange 11 Feb 2014 23:22:03 4,661 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like my Hindustan game is going to end with a massive war against the Ottomans. Just building up to the last two main ideas I need for my army and navy, then it's an epic fight to the death. Russia I've left well alone, kept Ming as an ally to soak up their armies when we've been at war, but trying to take them out with the winter attrition in their provinces and their huge decently teched armies would be too frustrating.
  • Page

of 33 First / Last