Europa Universalis IV Page 5

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• andytheadequate 6 Feb 2014 17:10:58 8,219 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I went for a +3 advisor and bankrupted myself. Had to take out 3 loans before finally getting rid of him.

I don't keep a massive standing army as I have good relations with my neighbours.
  • RedSparrows 6 Feb 2014 17:20:48 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    +3 advisors are for massive income states. Crazy costs.

I keep a massive standing army (and navy) so I can respond to any tweak on my global spider's web... :D

Spain has been totally bullied by France in this game. Last time I played France occupied 75% of Spain's mainland. Surprised it didn't try for some colonial gains in the negotiations.

The USA has formed in Louisiana. Woo!

Edited by RedSparrows at 17:21:40 06-02-2014
  • Rhaegyr 6 Feb 2014 17:32:25 1,834 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    France can go either way when I play as Spain.

Either they're wiped off the map in less than a hundred years from all sides or they become a European juggernaut with an army limit of around 100, conquering whatever they want!
  • Cosquae 6 Feb 2014 17:55:33 1,224 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Last time I played as Spain (Castille) I formed an alliance with France to defend against HRE and almost by default got in to a royal marriage. Imagine my surprise when a few decades later I inherit pretty much all of France.
  • RedSparrows 6 Feb 2014 18:20:10 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When you inherit do you absorb the cores or have to make new ones? Overextension is a killer - I won my trade war vs the Brits and took 6 provinces from them. Ouch.
  • Cosquae 6 Feb 2014 18:32:54 1,224 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got cores on them (I think) but no culture or religion. That took a lot of diplomacy to make up since they're high tax regions. Ile de Paris alone took 450 diplomacy to convert alone. Fortunately, more of the place was already Catholic which saved my missionaries.
  • RedSparrows 8 Feb 2014 11:50:53 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking Spain. I ally with them for domestic security, but they keep getting dragged into wars vs France, and so do I.

Best bit was Spain invading Algeria, which summoned a HUGE Ottoman army on their ass. I stayed out of it. But then a French colony attacks a Native American protectorate and BOOM, France steamrolls Iberia. As I am stronger than Spain (somehow?!) I am lead ally, so in the ensuing humiliating negotiations I lose tons of money, trade power, and my colonies lose cores to the ultra annoying and aggressive USA.

I don't often win battles against the French. I need to pay far more attention to terrain and unit types.

Edited by RedSparrows at 21:56:34 09-02-2014
  • basmans_grob 9 Feb 2014 11:47:22 302 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I'm finding the Ottomans a little easy at the mo. I was thinking that by now I would be facing massive opposition form my gobbling up the entire middle east and chucks of eastern Europe.

Any suggestions of other countries to play? I would quite like a bit of a long term challenge.
  • WrongShui 9 Feb 2014 11:54:52 6,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Byzantium. I had a fun game with them restoring the pentarchy.
  • Cosquae 9 Feb 2014 15:45:39 1,224 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One of the hardest are apparently the native american tribes.

Failing that, I guess The Knights in Europe would be a challenge.
  • andytheadequate 9 Feb 2014 19:04:30 8,219 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does the game end at a certain date, or can you just play forever?
  • Cosquae 9 Feb 2014 19:10:36 1,224 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1821 it all ends.
  • andytheadequate 9 Feb 2014 19:20:49 8,219 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How do I view the order of nations? I know I'm in second place but not sure how to see who's ahead of me...
  • Cosquae 9 Feb 2014 19:35:19 1,224 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's in the ledger (one of the buttons on the bottom right, under the map)

Edited by Cosquae at 19:40:11 09-02-2014
  • RedSparrows 9 Feb 2014 19:44:39 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are mods to extend timeline to 9999. Not sure I'd want that: I'm nearing 1821 now and it's been a brilliant lot of fun, but I've reached the limit with Portugal - the only way I can make us higher than 7th is to invade a big boy, and that's a bad idea.

Eager to try another nation, situation, strategy, etc.

Edited by RedSparrows at 19:45:24 09-02-2014
  • RedSparrows 9 Feb 2014 20:10:36 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

My core empire.

Colonies and allies in the West.

So it ends. I was gaining on 6th at the close. Great fun. Now for a new challenge!

Edited by RedSparrows at 23:32:36 09-02-2014
  • andytheadequate 9 Feb 2014 21:51:14 8,219 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This may be a stupid idea, but would anyone be interested in a multiplayer game?
  • RedSparrows 9 Feb 2014 21:55:11 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Could try :D
  • andytheadequate 9 Feb 2014 21:57:40 8,219 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I played as Castile in my current game so would also prefer a more land based nation, posssibly Burgundy or Switzerland.

Would anyone else be tempted? What times do people generally play?
  • Orange 9 Feb 2014 23:32:49 4,822 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Burgundy would be pretty good, as you can look to form the Netherlands by 1550 with them, and are inbetween France and HRE.

Consensus on forum is that Russia/Muscovy is too strong and England needs a buff. That certainly has been reflected in my games. England doesn't colonise or trade dominate nearly enough, and Russia is basically Ottomans without the enemies.
  • RedSparrows 9 Feb 2014 23:37:04 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, England/Britain was powerful, but nothing to France, Spain, or really, even Portugal.

Russia took over the entire eastern world whenever it wanted to.
  • WrongShui 9 Feb 2014 23:47:49 6,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    F11 takes a screen shot of your current map mode, for showing your empire.

For example my fully westernized Oirate Horde game

• Orange 10 Feb 2014 00:24:59 4,822 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blimey, did you directly absorb all of Ming with the Horde? Would be interested to see your score summary - i.e where you ranked trade/army/province-wise. In my current game Oirat Horde has been reduced by Russia to just two provinces, and they are separated by about a 1000 miles :D

I'm playing Hindustan (formed it with Vijayander), after Westernising I've stuck to making protectorates rather than directly expanding. It seemed the best way for the income boost to my trade and no drain on my monarch power for cores. It does mean I'm not big in terms of direct provinces, but I'm thinking of taking the Force Limit increase idea, this with my western tech should be enough to beat Russia/Ottomans.
  • WrongShui 10 Feb 2014 01:09:19 6,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I was seventh for score, it's nigh on impossible to catchup with the European tech group when you have spent so long out of it, military wise I had about 100k more men than anyone else but was two or three techs behind Europe. I ignored trade almost entirely.

The Oirate Horde start, or at least did start, in an imbalanced position, your Cavalry will decimate Mings troops, so you can annihilate armies twice the size of yours and leave no survivors.

Taking all of Mings territory can be done rather swiftly and with very little aggression penalties, the trick is to beat them in a war and release one of the nations in it, wait for them to take most of Mings land and then dive in near the end and vassalize whatever is left of Ming, then you just declare war on the nation you released, steamroll over it with your super horse army and make them return all the land back to Ming at zero cost. Voila! You have a vassal that's three times larger than yourself!

From then on you can just use Mings manpower to roll over all the other Asian nations while you sit back and slowly build up to a point you can integrate them.

At some point though a European nation will turn up, in my game Portugal, who will then proceed to piss on your parade.
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 02:01:40 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    F11 takes a screen shot of your current map mode, for showing your empire.

For example my fully westernized Oirate Horde game

Ah, sweet! Ta.

Currently trying Byzantium. LOL OTTOMANS. :(
  • WrongShui 10 Feb 2014 02:11:06 6,620 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here's my Purple Phoenix

Going by the forums, I did rather badly :s

Edited by WrongShui at 02:12:09 10-02-2014
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 10:53:04 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How did you start it? I vassalised Serbia and Bosnia and Carnac, and it didn't stop them steam rolling me. Didn't help I got a regency just as I was planning to strike. it's hard to engineer help via diplomacy.
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2014 11:45:25 8,219 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only 50 years to go until I finish my current game, and I'm now ranked 1. How does the ranking work, is your score based on how technologically advanced you are?

Once I've finished this game I will look at organising a multiplayer game
  • DamoVotf 10 Feb 2014 12:09:15 547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I gave it a go yesterday after playing through the Tutorials. Its a pretty hard game to get into.

I was playing spain and took the mission to invade Granada, by the time my army had subdued them my entire country was basically in revolt.
  • RedSparrows 10 Feb 2014 12:20:22 22,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DamoVotf wrote:
    I gave it a go yesterday after playing through the Tutorials. Its a pretty hard game to get into.

I was playing spain and took the mission to invade Granada, by the time my army had subdued them my entire country was basically in revolt.
    Sounds like you were attacking Grenada at the wrong time. Did you pick a Casus Belli (prob the Reconquista for that) when you went to war? If you attack at the wrong time (e.g. under a truce, without CB etc) you get massive penalties that might explain why, in accord with other factors, you got revolts.

Only declare war when you can strike the very same moment, and CB's are essential unless you're mega powerful.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:20:44 10-02-2014
  • Page

of 34 First / Last