• WrongShui 21 Aug 2013 19:22:57 6,574 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So! Who's playing this? Anyone?

I'm absolutely loving it.
  • hiddenranbir 26 Aug 2013 16:57:09 5,744 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am, conquering the world. I broke Spain, split Iberia up in to Spain,Castile and Aragon. The Spanish Empire will crumble!
  • Cosquae 26 Aug 2013 17:26:17 1,089 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You bastard! I just spend centuries putting it together in Crusader Kings 2!
  • JoeBlade 26 Aug 2013 17:35:39 2,413 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As a rule of thumb I don't buy Paradox strategy games until at least the second expansion.

While this edition certainly looks polished enough to justify buying it new I'm not going to risk it yet. The number of bugs and balance issues tends to be a bit too high, knowing Paradox.

I'll enjoy the YouTube replays for now though :)
  • WrongShui 27 Aug 2013 00:47:47 6,574 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is too bloody adictive. Playing an Ironman game where I won the hundred years war against France at the start and formed a personal union with them. I then used them as a big blue bully to form a personal union with Austria a decade later.

Now I have the rest of the HRE caught in a superpower pincer manoeuvre.
  • hiddenranbir 27 Aug 2013 00:59:01 5,744 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I transferred saves from CK2, it is so much better than starting with vanilla EU4.

For example, starting without a france, hells yeah! Or the Hordes in strong contention. Or the Aztecs with a european foothold.

In my game, Russia is an impossibility and the Ottomons get no chance as Byzantium rules the roost.
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Aug 2013 10:43:03 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How easy is this to get into? Crusader Kings 2 was fine for me, but then I went backwards to Hearts of Iron and found that almost impenetrable!
  • WrongShui 27 Aug 2013 12:44:41 6,574 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its more streamlined than CK2, so you should be able to get into it easily.
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 Aug 2013 12:44:59 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @thefilthandthefury by far the easiest, much more so than even CK2. They have cleaned up the interface, the tutorial is half-decent, and the deliberate missions/mid-term goals give you some welcome guidance what you can do.

The only negative thing I can say is that I prefer CK's art style - portraits, event screens, etc.

edit: There's a demo, btw, just in case you haven't seen it.

Edited by UncleLou at 12:51:50 27-08-2013
  • shamblemonkee 27 Aug 2013 12:59:41 14,039 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reminds me i must try that demo as i downloaded it weeks ago
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Aug 2013 13:15:43 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah great, good to hear! Making it easier is definitely a welcome thing for me. As I say, I eventually 'got' CK2 but it did take a while and I'm sure I'm still missing out on some elements and features.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Sep 2013 14:10:55 24,559 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is excellent.

I love the fact that you can just get on a create your own little world and stories without even having to worry about "winning". I've just got my own little corner of Greece on the go and am merrily setting about trying to reignite the glory of Athens, oblivious to the carnage and Papal chaos of Europe.

Soon the Cypriot throne shall be mine!

Fuck the Ottomans though.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Sep 2013 14:27:54 1,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bought this game after rinsing Civ V to death - first Paradox game I've tried too.

I'm finding it really hard to get my head around (admittedly I've only tried the first few tutorials) - are the tutorials worth persevering with or should I jump straight into a game and attempt to pick it up?

There's an absolute ton going on on-screen and it's quite overwhelming for a newbie such as myself - any tips for people fresh to Paradox games?

Edited by Rhaegyr at 14:28:49 13-09-2013
  • Shikasama 13 Sep 2013 14:36:44 6,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Paradox really need to sort their fucking tutorials out because they are bloody useless.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Sep 2013 14:51:03 24,559 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, definitely worth doing all the tutorials, they actually cover a fair amount.

The only thing I can't quite my head around is trade routes. I've got absolutely no idea what transferring my trade power upstream means.
  • MrDigital 13 Sep 2013 15:22:17 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tried my first ever Turn Based Strategy with Civ V a few weeks ago and got my head around it without much pain, but as someone entirely new to the genre, how worth is it me giving this a go?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 15:53:10 20,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Civ is simple in comparison to normal Paradox titles.
  • Shikasama 13 Sep 2013 16:01:06 6,276 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I definitely wouldn't recommend putting the whole 35 quid down if it was your first paradox title.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Sep 2013 16:07:10 1,110 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love Civ V, but compared to this it seems like 'My First Strategy'.

Back to the tutorials I go...
  • Cosquae 13 Sep 2013 17:44:54 1,089 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Problem I found with Paradox tutorials is not that they don't give you enough information, but rather of the whole deluge of information they give you, they don't point out which bits of it are important.
  • heavy_salad 13 Sep 2013 19:30:45 674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The best way to learn Paradox games in my experience is to watch a few let's play videos on YouTube.
  • andytheadequate 17 Jan 2014 10:26:26 7,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just started playing this. The tutorials are actually pretty decent, although there are still a few areas I'm not sure about. Still, compared to Crusader Kings 2 it's a breeze to get into a game where you have an idea what to do.

Anyone played this multiplayer? Any idea how it works?
  • teamHAM 17 Jan 2014 10:29:29 2,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh god. I didn't realise there was a thread for this.

Are people still enjoying this? I bought it at launch but couldn't play for a while due to work but have recently just got back into this and also bought the Conquest of Paradise DLC that came out this week, which allows random new world generation and colonial nations.

I find it a really therapeutic game to play. Sure it can be stressful juggling all the internal politics, military, religion, wars, etc but it makes a nice change from something like Battlefield!

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• RedSparrows 17 Jan 2014 10:42:06 20,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got CKII the other day via a discount, but I really wanted this. Or Victoria III - that's more my era.
  • hiddenranbir 17 Jan 2014 12:06:54 5,744 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @teamHAM Not really. It doesn't have the soulful roleplaying the old one did.

I don't know, some of the UI interactions are nicer, smoother, easier. But at the same time, the way I interact with the game feels less...authentic. I feel less like I'm taking a nation through time than it is I'm just easily manipulating mechanics in the most gamiest way. Like increasing the stability of my country, I just click a button and its done. Ugh!

And because of a lot of those mechanics got "streamlined" the flavourful events don't feel that impressive anymore. I find the specific national ideas restrictive and too rail-roaded (like EU2, EU3 felt a lot freer).

The expansion, I like the idea of a random new world...but...because I'm not connected to the world's role-playing, it really feels just as boring. I tried to play as the souix, there isn't a lot going on and naturally your options really open up once you westernise.

I guess I'll wait for mods to flesh out the game? Otherwise, I'm still on CK2, Paradox's finest product to date.
  • munki83 17 Jan 2014 12:30:19 1,332 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone got a good guide for beginners for this. I got into CK2 by playing as Scotland and I just made up my own goal of getting as much land in Ireland and Wales as possible but ended up with my Kingdom falling apart due to me being a tyrant :D
  • estoo 17 Jan 2014 12:53:44 2,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everywhere I've read says to go a superpower on your 1st go (like Spain) but I don't know as I haven't been back to it after playing half the tutorial! One day...
  • spamdangled 17 Jan 2014 13:15:25 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @munki83

I'd like to know this too. Paradox games tend to be really daunting in complexity, so I'd rather have a good beginner's guide to hand before I start playing.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Cosquae 17 Jan 2014 14:09:24 1,089 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spain was a good start for me, got lucky with a few royal marriages.

Played CK2 and EU3 so felt confident enough to skip the tutorials but still some figuring out as I went along (mostly about inter-state relations).

And finally... can I just kill all the astronomers? Number one cause of drop in stability, a comet sighting. Seriously? I can wage global war, bring my empire to the edge of financial and societal ruin but it's a rock flying through the sky that loses me stability.
  • andytheadequate 17 Jan 2014 14:10:47 7,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The tutorial really is half decent. It might not teach you everything but it shows you enough to get started and then learn as you play.

I've started as Venice and enjoy improving ny trade empire. I don't really enjoy the military side of these games so looking to expand through influence rather than military might. Already managed to make annex a few vassals by improving relations, but the major powers around me all seem to hate me for my republican tradition...
  • Page

of 19 First / Last

Previous