Speakers for Mac owners

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Mike_Hunt 28 Jan 2005 21:17:15 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    (PC hardware.. I know, but there was no alternative)

You must check these out. I popped into PCWorld on my way home tonight and had a quick demonstration of them.

The sound is *fantastic* They're designed in a way that really speads the sound all over the room, and it works (if it works in PCWorld then it'll sound even better at home). They're really powerful, but best of all they look *so* cool (the photo in the link doesn't do them justice), and the touch sensative volume control on the speakers just finishes them off.

They had them on display with a powerbook and a 20" display, and any Mac owner with a spare 120 should definately think about picking some up.

[MH]
  • Nemesis 28 Jan 2005 21:27:06 18,596 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got 'em already, son ;-)

Shinji-san has my old SS1s and I nabbed the 2s. Excellent system and standard audio plug so they work on everything.

• mal 28 Jan 2005 21:27:37 22,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why specifically Mac owners?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mugwump 28 Jan 2005 21:29:32 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Look quite fancy... Is there a 4.1 option?
  • lost_soul 28 Jan 2005 21:29:57 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How big is the sub?

I wouldn't mind a new set of speakers, I've ha these Creative ones for a few years now ad they could do with replacing.
  • Nemesis 28 Jan 2005 21:42:57 18,596 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I tell you what; I'm too fucking good to you lot.

http://homepage.mac.com/kappn/PhotoAlbum12.html

• lost_soul 28 Jan 2005 21:50:54 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    I tell you what; I'm too fucking good to you lot.

http://homepage.mac.com/kappn/PhotoAlbum12.html

Cheers Nem.

They look very nice. Wonder if my local PC World has them in stock.
  • Nemesis 28 Jan 2005 21:56:20 18,596 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine does. If not, check out a John Lewis if you have one nearby!
  • mugwump 28 Jan 2005 22:05:07 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Mine does. If not, check out a John Lewis if you have one nearby!

Very nice. Am liking the minimilist desk look there too. Can't see mine for all the crap that accumulates on it :p
  • Nemesis 28 Jan 2005 22:18:06 18,596 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm a bit fussy about having a tidy PC desk; if Mrs Nem has all her paperwork on there I go all moany and give it a Princess Stamp with me foot.

/ugh

/stamp
  • Mike_Hunt 28 Jan 2005 22:48:36 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Got 'em already, son ;-)

Shinji-san has my old SS1s and I nabbed the 2s. Excellent system and standard audio plug so they work on everything.

+1000 respect points to the 'sis.

Mate - how amazing are they? DAMN expensive for a set of PC speakers, but they really are breath taking.

Mal - It was directed at Mac owners as they already own something with style and they would match better with a iMac than they would with an ugly grey box (which would be the equivilant of a chav slapping alloys on their mum's nova).

Losty - My PC World has some in stock, 10% off too. Although still no where near the price that Microdirect are offering them for.

It was quite cool, I asked for a demo and within a matter of minutes a small crowd had formed, they are *that* impressive. That or it could be my new aftershave...

[MH]
  • lost_soul 28 Jan 2005 22:53:45 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Losty - My PC World has some in stock, 10% off too. Although still no where near the price that Microdirect are offering them for.
    Oh. How much are they in PC World? I don't seem to be very good at ordering stuff online at the moment. I've been meaning to buy some Crucial memory for my laptop for nearly half a year now.
  • Nemesis 28 Jan 2005 23:07:14 18,596 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some person used to leave....plants...on my desk.

/Hulk smash.

Are they expensive? I guess so, in some respects. I've had 5.1 surround kits and they are more hassle and mess than they are worth. IMO of course.

My old Soundworks 2.1 speakers are with a friend and he completely loves them. You've never really heard a FPS until you've played them through the Cambridge Soundwork speakers. They were so fabby I purchased another set when the old pair finally died. He has them on loan.

Equally, the 'sticks are quality through and through. You can kick in the bass via a knob (steady) on the sub, but I prefer a blend of bass and nothing too overbearing. After all, I need to play the sound when people are in bed.

Plus they look the bloody business. Again, so good I got another pair. Why the upgrade? Well, the first series of 'sticks were USB digital and I could never get the USB working correctly through the PC, but on every Mac I tried they were perfect. Shinji seems pretty happy with 'em, and they made a guest appearance on the Nintendo-DS pics in the background. Aww.

The 2's also seem to have a nicer arc of sound. The originals were directional, so you had a narrow cone of sound you had to sit in. Erm, am I saying that right? The newer model is more forgiving....
  • Nemesis 28 Jan 2005 23:09:14 18,596 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ...at the mo, for example, I'm listening to Floyd's The Wall and the clarity is excellent. You don't get any feedback/hum/interference through the speakers. Clear as a bell and a nice warm bass from the sub. It's lovely. God knows I've had my fair share of shit speakers over the years, I'd just had enough of crap.
  • Mike_Hunt 29 Jan 2005 00:16:42 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Losty - they're up at 140 in-store.

otto - you could always try
    these.

They're a bit more reasonable, and would look great next to a white Mac.

[MH]

Edited by Mike_Hunt at 00:18:20 29-01-2005
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 00:18:09 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:

My old Soundworks 2.1 speakers are with a friend and he completely loves them. You've never really heard a FPS until you've played them through the Cambridge Soundwork speakers. They were so fabby I purchased another set when the old pair finally died. He has them on loan.

Being a bit of a style "snob" myself ;) I couldn't go for these gorgeous speakers as they wouldn't match my black and silver shuttle, screen, keyboard and mouse. Speaker-wise though, I'm currently running the Cambridge Gigaworks 7.1, and they sound pretty gorgeous. If I was to berate them, I'd have to criticise their looks - they're designed for sound and not much else - and perhaps the bass output: it's too loud! :p

Still, wish I could keep my desk as tidy as that. I probably could try, but then I'd be worried about getting anal about people leaving things like pens and paperwork on it. Oh...

;)

EDIT: Too many quotes spoil a post

Edited by mugwump at 00:18:37 29-01-2005
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 00:19:29 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Losty - they're up at 140 in-store.

otto - you could always try
    these.

They're a bit more reasonable, and would look great next to a white Mac.

[MH]

Edited by Mike_Hunt at 00:18:20 29-01-2005

Ugh *shudder*

That's not really in the same league though is it?

/goes for a wash

EDIT: sorry, there goes that snob in me ;)

Edited by mugwump at 00:23:42 29-01-2005
  • Mike_Hunt 29 Jan 2005 00:26:41 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really? I've seen them in the flesh and I'd certainly buy them if I didn't have a black and silver setup.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 29 Jan 2005 00:32:39 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm thinking of either:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3860&GroupID=284

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3859&GroupID=284

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8115&GroupID=284

Or the Aria net Skyhawks - here.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=37&SubCat=&Name=&Page=&ShowPictures=Yes&SortBy=
    Arianet / SkyHawk Aluminium Spk+Sub

[MH]

• mugwump 29 Jan 2005 00:32:54 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Really? I've seen them in the flesh and I'd certainly buy them if I didn't have a black and silver setup.

[MH]

ahh right-so. I was just judging them entirely from that photo :p

/gets coat
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 00:35:17 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    By the way Mike, like I said, I've got a silver/black setup meself. I'm using the Logitech Desktop MX set - wireless black/silver keyboard and the wireless MX700 mouse with radio usb docking station. Well pleased with it, set me back at about 70 last summer.

The mouse is the standout piece. The keyboard is a step down from those gorgeous diNovo ones though. I'd consider picking up one of those myself, but I don't fancy having multiple receivers dotted around my already cluttered desk (the MX shares the same receiver/docking station).
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 00:45:47 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    I'm thinking of either:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3860&GroupID=284

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3859&GroupID=284

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8115&GroupID=284

Or the Aria net Skyhawks - here.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=37&SubCat=&Name=&Page=&ShowPictures=Yes&SortBy=
    Arianet / SkyHawk Aluminium Spk+Sub

[MH]

hmmm

none of those microdirect links work for me :-S
  • Mike_Hunt 29 Jan 2005 01:09:35 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mugwump wrote:
    The mouse is the standout piece. The keyboard is a step down from those gorgeous diNovo ones though. I'd consider picking up one of those myself, but I don't fancy having multiple receivers dotted around my already cluttered desk (the MX shares the same receiver/docking station).
    I've already got a logitech Mx700 - a fine mouse indeed!

However, tomorrow I'm hoping to pick up the dinovo set from PC World as they seem to have mis-priced them to 99. The bonus is that they come with a MX900 mouse so I'll be able to sell my MX700 and put the cash towards it.

As for multiple receivers - I'm quite sure that everything is built into the mouse's docking station.

I've narrowed my speaker choice down to Creative I-Trigue 3400's or 3600's. Nothing else will go, and they apparently sound great too, which is always a bonus ;)

[MH]
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 01:13:34 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have you got a link for those?

That sounds like a really good deal at PC World. That's about a third cheaper than the cheapest places right? And it's a bluetooth set?

The only thing that holds me back from that upgrade is the new MX1000. I think I'm right in thinking they've redesigned the mouse, it doesn't use a standard optical light any more but pin-point lasers, and is supposed to be a lot more accurate. Am holding out for a set with that mouse and a diNovo type keyboard, IF they ever release one.
  • Mike_Hunt 29 Jan 2005 01:21:45 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One link:
    http://www.creative.com/speakers/config/2.1/

I'd not heard about the new mouse. I wouldn't be surprised if it were included in a new DiNovo set (they try and include the best of everything in the package). I just can't refuse this price tag (lord knows how much the new bundle will cost), as I'll be able to sell my Mx700 and I'm considering buying a couple of DiNovo sets and selling them on ebay, which will also help. :)

[MH]
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 01:30:34 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn that's a good idea.

I just had a look-see, and they're going for 199 new on there. Great idea! I wonder if it's just your PC World or all of them? I wouldn't mind getting a few and perhaps one for myself now ;)

Edited by mugwump at 01:36:24 29-01-2005
  • Mike_Hunt 29 Jan 2005 01:39:19 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've already checked mate. It's all of them. At least all of the ones in the north west, so I see no reason why they won't be that price nationally.

You're going to flood ebay with them and undercut my price now aren't you?!

DANG!

/kicks self

:)

[MH]
  • mugwump 29 Jan 2005 01:41:39 654 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ha ha!

I give you a week.... ;)
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,298 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Me & the missus had a falling out last night over the very same subject. Upstairs, big loft space, big computer table in one corner, neat writing desk in the other. Where does she leave all her pens and opened envelopes etc? Yes on the computer desk. How does she react when I suggest she might want to put them on the writing desk. Yes with outrage at my oppression. Bah! :p

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,298 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Mal - It was directed at Mac owners as they already own something with style and they would match better with a iMac than they would with an ugly grey box (which would be the equivilant of a chav slapping alloys on their mum's nova).
    Um. I bought these pieces of crap to use with my new Mini last night. I just can't justify those Sound Sticks. I was on the verge of buying them a few months ago, but... too expensive.

That said, I have bought these which I use in the living room with the Airport Express.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous