Arkane consider journalists to be "press sneak fucks"

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • spamdangled 15 Aug 2013 23:49:53 27,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, there's been a lot of confusion about Prey 2 over the years.
    First of all, Human Head were working on something that looked very interesting, if not particularly related to the original.

Then came the news that the HH project had been cancelled and moved to Arkane.

Then a senior Bethesda spokesman denied this, saying he had no idea where the rumour has come from. And then Creative Director at Arkane, Raphael Colantonio, backed this up.

And now it seems it WAS true to start with.

But not only that, but Kotaku has got hold of the following email, sent internally shortly after the original news broke, sent by Raphael Colantonio.

Now that the news is out,
    We’ll be contacted left and right by press sneak fucks who will want to know more.
    Please don’t answer any of their requests.
    Thanks
    Lovely to know that he holds the journalists, who he relies on so much to help him promote his game, in such low regard.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/15/arkane-making-prey-2/#more-164704

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:50:13 15-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 15 August 2013 23:52:49
    Shit thread.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2013 23:53:29
    Can you blame him? Sure there is good gaming journalism, see edge, but there is an abundance is un professional behaviour, see game trailers vs Fez creator.
  • spamdangled 15 Aug 2013 23:56:06 27,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just because journalists were trying to find out what was going on with a game previously announced? And after he had lied to their face?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:05:11
    "Man says things!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!"

Who gives a shit?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Aug 2013 00:21:16 25,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HOW DARE HE WRITE THAT ABOUT THE PRESS. THEY ARE CUPCAKES.
  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Aug 2013 00:23:57 7,908 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never swear in internal company emails.  I would get sacked if I did it :)
  • Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:43:19
    The John Walker/Kieron Gillen spat about this over Twitter is more interesting.
  • President_Weasel 16 Aug 2013 00:44:27 9,381 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never swear in internal company emails if you work for the same company as Pinky_Floyd, but feel free to do so if you work in a company with a very relaxed attitude towards swearing in internal company emails.

You'll note the email says they'll be contacted by press sneak fucks, not that all press are sneak fucks. I'm afraid you're reading more into it than you reasonably can - properly parsed it means that the press he expects to contact them are on the sneak-fucky end of the spectrum, that's all.
  • spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 00:45:47 27,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Any links?

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:46:07
    http://www.twitter.com
  • Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:51:02
    meme wrote:
    Does it end with Gillen killing himself?

That's the only way this could be worthwhile.
  • spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 00:52:52 27,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Very amusing :)

If Kieron is throwing his toys out the pram, it might be worth keeping in mind that his rep in comics is in the toilet at the moment and it's rumoured he's about to be sacked by Marvel, which *probably* might be affecting his actions a little.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:53:41 16-08-2013

• joeymoto108 16 Aug 2013 00:54:31 647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Misleading thread title.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:57:38
    To be honest, neither of them are throwing any toys out. It's just a complete difference of opinion (and perspective) masquerading as universal truth.

It's too long and fractured to really link properly, but the gist of it is that Gillen thinks creators should have the right to tell journos to piss off when they're not wanted (basically that a front of PR niceness is worse) and that RPS shouldn't chase hits by pandering to the masses. Also that there's a touch of hypocrisy involving this and constantly chasing HL3 news.

Don't completely disagree, but also don't really agree either.

Edited by meme at 00:58:05 16-08-2013
  • spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 01:02:14 27,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I get what he's coming from in that they should be allowed to not answer questions, but there's a difference between "no comment" and outright lying.

And it seems a bit naive to complain about journalists digging past the surface for the truth behind something.

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 01:03:21
    darkmorgado wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Very amusing :)

If Kieron is throwing his toys out the pram, it might be worth keeping in mind that his rep in comics is in the toilet at the moment and it's rumoured he's about to be sacked by Marvel, which *probably* might be affecting his actions a little.
    Oh, you mean someone has finally noticed that the over-rated "controversial" gaming journo is over-rated?

At least it means we might get some more controversially low scores for decent games in reviews on this site soon. I personally can't wait.
  • ZuluHero 16 Aug 2013 01:47:46 4,175 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    HOW DARE HE WRITE THAT ABOUT THE PRESS. THEY ARE CUPCAKES.
    I WILL SHOVE MY ENTIRE SET OF EUROGAMER DOLLD IN HIS ASS AND PULL OUT HIS EYES WITH A SPORK!!! kthxbye xx

;)
  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Aug 2013 01:51:38 7,908 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Isnt the sneak the person who leaked the email?
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Aug 2013 05:32:07 13,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can think of many, many reasons why a company might not want news of what it's working on to be public. The press doesn't have an innate right to know each and every minute detail of all games production in the entire omniverse. I find the notion that RPS having a sulk at having their "time wasted" is fucking offensive. We're talking about emails, phonecalls. Grow the fuck up.

And the man is entitled to his opinion. If he thinks they're fucks, so what? It's much better than putting on a front for the sake of PR which just ends up with everyone spouting vanilla bollocks and pretending that everyone's playing nice together. The gaming press is often viewed as a mouthpiece, and given the 'quality' of most outlets the're lucky even to have that. Is it any wonder they can be viewed as disposable tools? Even on EG I've read some articles or reviews and thought: "this is utter, utter garbage. I'd be ashamed to publish this." And EG is one of the outlets I generally hold in higher regard. See also RPS from time to time, another site I hold in high regard. Although less high after their sulky little article on this topic.

Maybe if RPS didn't write articles like that, and gamers didn't start threads like this attempting to vilify the man, people might start treating each other and their peers in the industry like, y'know, adults and stuff. We don't all have to get along like an episode of Happy Days. It's entirely possible to allow for the full range of human emotions and character without the industry exploding. And it's entirely right that people might "lie" to the press, if they've been given explicit instructions from on high (or just from their own needs in the moment) to not reveal it.

Maybe Human Head hadn't been informed? Pretty shitty way to find out, no? Maybe the whole Arkane team didn't know? Maybe there're competitive reasons, or financial reasons?

Or maybe, and this would be my guess, they just really really wanted to surprise us in a year or so with some footage of a game that really does look like a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, without having the baggage of a years worth of speculation and wild expectatino building from the knuckle-dragging masses?

Food for thought. Fuck this tabloid shit. :)
  • DodgyPast 16 Aug 2013 05:44:35 8,478 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a journalist's job to find out information that their readers want to know. If someone tries to mislead them and as a result their readers then they should be called out on it.

Since when did lying become acceptable behaviour?
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Aug 2013 05:49:42 13,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's an impossible situation though, potentially. I've been in a position where I've been involved in high level talks in a company, and for legal reasons I've had to keep schtum. This involved lying to the face of someone I liked and respected because I would have been breaking an agreement I signed if I hadn't. This would have cost me my job, and potentially scuppered the deal. A deal that secured work for the company for many years.

It sucked. But it's not black and white, and it's childish of RPS and the gaming press at large to treat it like it is.

Since when did lying become Worse Than Hitler (tm)?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 05:55:41 11,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It seems to me that the gaming press and the gaming industry should be natural enemies. Obviously, things that the industry wants you to know they give the press for free, and things that they don't want you to know the press have to dig up, but anyway, their relationship should be antagonistic.

It's not like the press promote games out of the goodness of their hearts, they want to get hits, that's how they make money primarily. And the industry doesn't give them info because their best fwends. It's business.

I never understand things like this, where cunts like Marcus Beer claim that the industry owes them sound-bites in return for exposure. That's not journalism, that's just advertising.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 06:07:47 11,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:Since when did lying become acceptable behaviour?
    Well, I think all companies do it to be honest.

Being honest is not an obligation, it is a luxury. In a company, telling the naked truth is often downright irresponsible. Obviously nobody wants to, but we're adults, and we sometimes have to do things we don't want to. If you don't get that, well...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• GiarcYekrub 16 Aug 2013 09:19:04 3,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm offended by the missing y and er to make that statement something I can relate to
  • GiarcYekrub 16 Aug 2013 09:24:32 3,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTW how can something be "Cancelled and Moved" surely its one or the other. Companies rarely flat out lie, but if there is a little bit of information in a rumor that is wrong they can deny the lot in one sweeping statement and let people infer that they were talking about the meat of the rumor
  • nickthegun 16 Aug 2013 09:25:35 60,135 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    ORLY? His Iron Man run has been reasonably well received, as far as I can tell. The only real problems people seem to have is the terrible Greg Land artwork.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 10:03:15
    What's his rep in funny books got to do with having an opinion on press reporting about crap like this?
  • opalw00t 16 Aug 2013 10:09:18 11,141 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    ORLY? His Iron Man run has been reasonably well received, as far as I can tell. The only real problems people seem to have is the terrible Greg Land artwork.
    And I never read articles praising Phonogram, Journey into Mystery or Young Avengers at all...

Oh no wait, everyone loves them.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 14:29:01
    The main issue really is the massive dichotomy between we-want-games-to-be-taken-as-serious-and-credible places like RPS and the colossally massive immaturity of the gaming industry as a whole. It seems strange to try for hard-hitting long-story journalism attempting to undercover the machinations of the industry when we've also got writers quitting companies because "fans" send death threats to her children.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous