Gear lust - anyone using a Sigma Merrill DP1, 2 or 3?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Aug 2013 09:58:52 35,710 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I want one. I am aware of the lack of a viewfinder, catastrophic battery life, and iso abilites of 1999.

But then there's this (warning: large files):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk-photo/8723965259/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Or this:

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/samplephoto/SDIM1545.jpg

This is simply in a different league to what my (not full-frame) DSLR or my Fuji X100 can do, and often close to what middle format cameras produce. In fact, the Merrill photos often remind me of the old Kodachrome slides which I posted about a while ago. And I know, it's all about the photographer, etc., but the idea to get this potential in a small package for 800,- Eur is too tempting.

Would love to hear some personal experiences, if anyone of you guys has one of the Merrills.

Luminous landscape review of the DP3

Edited by UncleLou at 10:12:23 12-08-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Aug 2013 11:30:11 35,710 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Noone? :-( First and only bump.

Just look at it.

Insane

Sigma often sells them for 40% less on eBay, I've now learned. Next time this happens, one of them is mine.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:30:50 22-08-2013
  • kalel 22 Aug 2013 11:38:00 88,358 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All I say is having bought an X100 and found it very very hard to get good shots with thanks to the speed issue, I'd have similar concerns with this. Image quality is all good in theory, but if you can't actually get the shots you want due to performance issues, it's kind of moot. Maybe the 1S fixes it, I don't know, but still, nothing beats an SLR for control really, and control gives you the best shots.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Aug 2013 11:46:02 35,710 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, the Merrill's in partiuclar are certainly not everyday cameras, much less so than the X100 (even with the speed issues of the X100). I'd really only use a DP2 when the situation allows it, and I am using photography more to relax and on holidays anyway than as something I do everyday.

I just can't get over the fact that you can get the IQ as in the links above in a package that is smaller even than the X100.

I agree about the DSLRs - they're just more reliable and more versatile, but even my humble D90 is a real brick, and I won't be taking it with me when I am hiking in the Alps anymore.
  • kalel 22 Aug 2013 11:53:42 88,358 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The other thing is that I've seen absolutely incredible IQ in flickr galleries for lots of cameras - S100, X100, G12 etc. I'm not saying these won't necessarily be capable of better, but it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking these are somehow magic cameras based on the best possible sample shots.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Aug 2013 12:41:50 35,710 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    True, but I really think the Merrill is something a bit special - I've even downloaded the Sigma software and RAW files were available.

I have honestly no idea if it would make any difference for me personally, I'd just love to find out! Quite annoyed that I missed the "inofficial" sale of 12 DP2 Merrills on Ebay a few weeks ago, for EUR 500,-. :-(

Are you still using your X100, or are you back to a DSLR?
  • kalel 22 Aug 2013 12:44:56 88,358 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use it, but generally as a holiday camera. It makes more sense for me as a holiday camera as the lens length and the speed issues make it well suited to strolling around cities etc, as opposed to when I'm at home when I'm mostly taking pictures of people.

In truth I would seriously consider switching it for a good compact at this point if I could be arsed.
  • Nth 24 Aug 2013 07:00:48 3,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As much as I miss the stunning IQ of my X100 I don't regret selling it. The AF was shit even after all the updates. Swapped it for an X10 which is so nice to use but again the AF wasn't good enough so that's gone too after 4 months! So far my LX7 ticks all the boxes. Can't match IQ of X100 of course but AF is very fast and reliable and controls are great.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next