Shanghai (for 48 hours)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Aug 2013 10:45:08 610 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am planning to do a 48 hour layover in Shanghai next week and I'm trying to decide what would be best to do to maximise my time there. I am thinking of spending one day doing the city stuff (easy enough to plan put there) and one day maybe visiting one of the local towns or cities. I'd like to see some cool historical stuff for the latter. Anyone got any suggestions? Also, I suppose if there are any must-sees not in the usual tourist guides for the city too. (not interested in shopping whatsoever BTW).

Thanks.
  • Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2013 11:02:49 13,571 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Not interested in shopping" and "fastest growing consumerist hellhole in China" don't really go together. ;-)

City stuff is maybe not quite as easy as you think, given the scale of the place, but for sure you should do Pudong (financial district) and The Bund (opposite side of the river from the financial district) as some pretty impressive sights to be had. You can get a ferry between them for 40p, or go under the river in the tourist tunnel. I'm not kidding. :)

You might also want to take a trip around the Former French Concession for some pleasant cafes and parks.

There are a few temples around, so you could hit up a few of those, but you really need to spend an hour heading out on the metro to find something off the usual tourist trails. It's a bloody immense city, so unless you have specific ideas on what to see it's hard to advise.

There's a decent Korean district, or you can head out to some of the water towns. It can be a bit impenetrable if you don't have rudimentary Mandarin, as a lot of taxi drivers can't figure out maps or smartphones so getting from A to B can be a pain in the bollocks.

Maybe list some things that you might be interested and I could offer some additional suggestions. I live in Shanghai, so my info should be relatively up to date. ;)
  • Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2013 11:04:50 13,571 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, if you don't mind spending an hour on the high speed train you might want to research Nanjing and Hangzhou, as both are doable from Shanghai's HongQiao railway station and are very pleasant.

That said, it's more than 40 degrees Celsius in the daytime here right now, and mid 30s all night, so you've picked a shitty time to visit. Going up into the mountains for the tea plantations is lovely - doing it in this weather might be fatal. :)
  • Load_2.0 7 Aug 2013 11:49:49 19,446 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beware of sailors with a wooden cudgel.
  • twelveways 7 Aug 2013 12:21:13 4,069 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Manhattan Bar, the hottest asian hookers you will ever see.

Phattso should know what I'm talking about ;)

I'm not a big fan of SH, I go there every couple of months or so for work, it's expensive and the people aren't that friendly compared to other cities, the Bund at night is nice and there is a bar at the top of the Oriental Pearl tower that is supposed to be cool and they have a happy hour at 6pm (I haven't been there though).
  • Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2013 14:28:52 13,571 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not quite sure how to take that, but indeed I've been told that Manhattan is floor to ceiling hookers. :)

All the bars around it have signs at the door that read "beware pickpockets and loose women" which is both hilarious and terrifying. That whole Tongren Lu/YuYuan Lu area is rife with it - used to be the red light district in Shanghai before the Expo a few years ago when they all got chased out to make the country look better.

Aaaaanyways...

If you can find the Captains Hostel on FuXing Road near the bund, on the 6th floor is a bar called Captain's Bar which offers the best view of Pudong (basically the cool view from Skyfall when Bond first arrives) with really affordable drinks. Plus there's half a boat hanging off the front of it - it's a country where they take their bar themes a little too seriously.

@One_Vurfed_Gwrx feel free to drop me a PM if you want any details about SH and its surrounds. You can PM twelveways if you want directions to Manhattan Bar. ;)
  • twelveways 7 Aug 2013 14:44:49 4,069 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Captain's Hostel is a good shout, like Phattso said, great views and it is a good place to meet other foreigners (although Shanghai seems to have almost as many foreigners as locals sometimes...).

There is a Jazz and Blues bar just down the road from Captain's that has some great bands on, drinks are hella pricey though, I think it is about 7 quid for a pint of Carlsberg :(
  • Phattso Moderator 8 Aug 2013 04:23:53 13,571 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should also definitely keep your eye out for a restaurant called Din Tai Fung. It's a Taiwanese chain, and there's maybe half a dozen around Shanghai. Try the XiaoLongBao (Small Dragon Bun) and the sticky rice. You'll thank me. It's "safe" food - they use high quality ingredients that won't push their way to the front of the queue in your gut. ;)

One side benefit of the heat is that it's XiaoLongXia (Small Dragon Crab) season, so you can get freshly cooked spicey crayfish all over the city. It's served by the Jin (spelling might be off) which is half a kilo. Expect to pay between 5 and 8. It rocks. You'll need a bottle of Qingdao to wash it down with. It's dirty lager, but was pretty much made for this combo.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Aug 2013 07:25:50 8,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was a decent band in Malones last Saturday.
    Their Weiss-beer is also pretty good.
  • Phattso Moderator 8 Aug 2013 07:37:48 13,571 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, but Malones is only one step up from Manhattan bar, at least after 2100!

If you're gonna come to Shanghai then the least you can do is drink local (ish) booze. Shanghai Brewery or Dr. Beer (who wouldn't trust a medical professional?) if you absolutely must get tanked up on a one night stopover. :)
  • Tonka 8 Aug 2013 07:50:58 20,825 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My best memories of shanghai are the insane cab rides across town. It's like going on a roller coaster.

In mega city one.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• PazJohnMitch 8 Aug 2013 08:02:30 8,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If the Li ZiJian exhibition is still on in the Shanghai Art gallery I highly recommend it. His paintings are unbelievably good.

I believe there is also a Lego exhibition on in Shanghai too if you like that sort of thing?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next