Photoblog

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Jul 2013 18:14:16 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like to post up my shots online and print them out. It's always nice just for my own personal pleasure and it gives you an added reason to shoot. So now, for a few reasons, it seems that once again I need to find a new place to post my shots, any ideas?

What I am looking for is a stylish looking site, strong community, with the ability to customise the look of my site, and to be able to post large high res single images, and to host a gallery. I have been doing a bit of googling but not really found anything that's totally to my liking.
  • kalel 26 Jul 2013 18:43:37 86,345 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Um, Tumblr?
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Jul 2013 18:51:30 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tumblr doesn't meet any of the requirements that I just posted.

Single high res image? No.
    Host a gallery? No.
    Stylish? No.

And also Tumblr isn't a photography based site, it's for microblogging any media: music, video, photos, and so on. If I was going to go for something like that then I would choose Flickr but I really want something a bit more serious? Not sure if that's the right word :-)

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 18:52:52 26-07-2013
  • graysonavich 26 Jul 2013 18:52:03 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like an untapped market!

Now if there's a way I could choose how I'm feeling from a list of teenage emotions I'd be in.
  • Deleted user 26 July 2013 18:55:35
    Just host your own and use some Photoblog wordpress themes. Tie it in with Instagram to get the community. Done.
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Jul 2013 19:00:35 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @meme - That's sounding good to me. It never occurred to me to separate the community aspect and the actual blog itself.

is it a lot of work/difficult to set something like that up and what does it involve?
  • Deleted user 26 July 2013 19:03:49
    Not much work at all, especially if you don't want a ridiculous amount of customisation options but just something that looks nice. A site hosted on wordpress.com should be enough to go on.

http://theme.wordpress.com/themes/features/photoblogging/?theme-search=photo
  • kalel 26 Jul 2013 19:56:37 86,345 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pretty sure Tumblr can meet all you requirements. I've seem some extremely stylish high res large gallery style blogs on there.
  • superdelphinus 26 Jul 2013 21:12:04 8,021 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm so glad someone has decided to do a photoblog. At last!
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jul 2013 10:23:21 2,899 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, wordpress and a theme. Though I've yet to find a single decent WP theme that does photoblogging the way it's supposed to be done - one image on a homepage, click left to go back one post at a time. So you might have to compromise on the layout.

Personally, I'd skip Instagram and get a Flickr account (one terabyte for free) and use that to host your images, link back to your galleries that way or call them from your Wordpress install (although I don't know if wp.com allows for that in the same way as hosting your own).

That way you've got a proper community to tie into, rather than a shitty Instagram community that's only interested in LIKEs and doesn't limit you to square images or rectangular ones with massive borders to make them square... ;)

Alternatively, check out 500px, it's somewhere to host your best photos rather than a bucket to dump all of them, and it has a good community too. It's a bit more 'serious' than Flickr, but I don't have a problem with Flickr - you don't have to join in with the endless Groups and Tags and Discussions on Flickr - just use it as a dumping ground.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• wobbly_Bob 27 Jul 2013 11:46:17 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TarickStonefire - that's actually the way I'm thinking of going! I spent all night researching and didn't realise that Flickr had changed so much! It used to be really shitty. The 1 terabyte of data is really generous. WordPress didn't seem exactly what I wanted for the reasons you stated, although it's okay. I think I might well opt for Flickr.

I'll carry on looking for a bit and check out that other site you mention. I seems that photoblogging as in "I present this art" is dead, killed by bulk upload snapshots aka instagram, Facebook, tumblr, and ironically Flickr, and so on.

At least Flickr can now offer tons of pace nd present my photography in large high res format. It's not perfect by a long way but I think it might do.

Thanks for the help!

@meme - the thanks for the help.
  • wobbly_Bob 27 Jul 2013 17:12:06 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a look at the 500px site and really like it. They seem to have a nice community of "serious" photography types and I like the design, display of the photos, and ease of use... And it's free, always good!

All set up :-)
  • Deleted user 27 July 2013 17:22:17
    /clicks

/sees no burgers
  • wobbly_Bob 27 Jul 2013 17:53:06 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @meme - I'm not totally obsessed with burgers, you know! ... Not. Totally.
  • Maturin 27 Jul 2013 19:07:25 2,889 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I had a look at the 500px site and really like it. They seem to have a nice community of "serious" photography types and I like the design, display of the photos, and ease of use... And it's free, always good!

All set up :-)
    Cool, have just clicked follow.

My 500px page

Edited by Maturin at 19:10:03 27-07-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 27 Jul 2013 19:17:10 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Maturin - Exellent :-) I left some comments for you and liked some of your shots and am following. At least there is one EG'er there!
  • Maturin 27 Jul 2013 19:17:58 2,889 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers, likewise.
  • wobbly_Bob 28 Jul 2013 11:47:52 1,617 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are so many amazingly talented people on there. The bar is raised very high!

Just wanted to let you know there is an app for it. I'm using Android but I'm assuming that it comes in all flavours.
  • Maturin 28 Jul 2013 15:24:54 2,889 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes I use the Android app. Though you can't see stories with it.

I really like the 500px story idea. You can upload lots of pictures into a story - and none of them will be in your photo gallery by default.

So for example you might have a great photo trip out and want to share 20+ pictures with a story, but then just put a couple of those into your regular public gallery.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next