How did you get into your line of work and what is it you do? Page 7

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• wogsy81 23 Jul 2013 23:16:34 759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Better than being a 40 year old doley.
    Life is like a long distance race. Sometimes your ahead. Sometimes your behind. It's where you are at the end that matters.

Well thats what i keep telling myself anyway.
  • SparkyMarky81 23 Jul 2013 23:20:20 567 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Although I initially regretted the line of work I've ended up in, I've really fallen on my feet in recent years and have a pretty fun job.

I left school with A-Levels, went to Uni to study a subject I had no interest in and spent two years getting wasted, trying every drug under the sun, before eventually deciding to drop out and get a job.

Since then I worked in a bank, sold cars and finally ended up working for a marketing company as an in-house recruiter. This eventually led me to a career in HR (don't laugh).

I worked for several huge companies, gradually building my experience, went back to Uni and got a post-grad degree and now have a very interesting job working for an awesome games company.

After regretting the decisions I had made for a long time, I now have a job I love, in a company I love, in an industry I love. Happy days.
  • wogsy81 23 Jul 2013 23:21:53 759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    @spindizzy They want to know how you got to CERN.
    Yay, thats the fella.
    You think if i ask him nicely he will send me a CERN T-shirt, badge or maybe even a mug?
    I really need some CERN branded tat in my life. Im kinda strange like that.

I love CERN which in turn means i love spindizzy.
  • riz23 23 Jul 2013 23:24:44 1,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I left school at 17 with a bunch of O levels (remember them?). Did some jobs which made me realise that work was basically shit and if you had to do it for 40 odd years then I had better get a degree so people would take me seriously. Went to college got the A levels, got interested in Photography and ended up doing a degree in Photography and Film.
    Left Uni and worked as an online video editor in a music/video studio. Got into the rave scene and fucked about for a few years. Some good times. Throughout all this I was playing games, totally into them. I became deeply obsessed with Ultima Online which eventually led to working on it. That was the door into games development and the QA route to producer jobs which has led to the Product Owner role I have today. I guess I've been lucky to work in fields I love but that was always planned on my part. I've done the best I can with what I have and in what I like. I've met many people that are smarter than me but I do have a certain creative spark and that has kept me relevant and useful.

GT: oldskooldeano

• Deleted user 23 July 2013 23:28:48
    Reading this thread actually wants me to get off my arse and better myself. I'm having career envy.
  • chopsen 23 Jul 2013 23:34:38 16,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    O levels? I'm old, and even I did GCSEs.
  • jonsaan 23 Jul 2013 23:37:10 25,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I sucked a lot of cock to get where I am today.

I suck corporate cock. I've sucked it for so long I can no longer taste the bitter sweet tang of regret for a life gone by.

Good money though....

FCUTA!

• riz23 23 Jul 2013 23:38:12 1,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Chopsen Thanks. That's made me feel great! ;-)

• jonsaan 23 Jul 2013 23:39:02 25,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did O levels too riz23.

FCUTA!

• localnotail 23 Jul 2013 23:40:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got 9 O Levels and 1 GCSE. The GCSE was a piece of piss, O Levels much harder.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• riz23 23 Jul 2013 23:42:53 1,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bless you both!

• jonsaan 23 Jul 2013 23:43:17 25,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also have one GSCE, can't recall the O levels. I think it's 5. GSCE was general science and it was the first year they trialled them on spaccers like me.

FCUTA!

• rickalish 24 Jul 2013 04:18:37 1,838 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow. Really glad I started this thread. Been a really interesting and helpful read from you all. Thanks everyone.
  • itamae 24 Jul 2013 06:16:21 9,897 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    itamae wrote:
    I'm a scientist currently doing basic cancer research.
    LESS POSTING MORE CURING
    Do you have testicular cancer right now? No?

You're welcome.
  • Deleted user 24 July 2013 07:49:50
    wogsy81 wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Yay, thats the fella.
    You think if i ask him nicely he will send me a CERN T-shirt, badge or maybe even a mug?

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+cern+gifts
  • Trowel 24 Jul 2013 08:47:14 18,077 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    Haven't heard from him in a while, actually haven't heard of CERN in a while. Probably had a resonance cascade or something.
    CERN webcams
  • Salaman 24 Jul 2013 10:09:27 19,627 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    The also lots of cats to tease with my laser measure.
    Some jobs have cool perks that I never though existed.
  • Salaman 24 Jul 2013 10:16:35 19,627 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    So now I'm selling everything we don't need on eBay and considering all other avenues of revenue generation.
    A friend in London is staying at home because going back to work with their two kids (1 and 3) just doesn't make sense financially.
    She's sewing kids clothes that she sells, they rent out some attic space to people through storemates and put their guest room up at airBnB for extra cash.
  • mikeck 24 Jul 2013 10:20:52 1,936 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @joelstinton I have always wanted to have my own niche shop somewhere by the coast. Sigh, it'll never happen now though, in a few years time kids won't even know what 'shops' are :)

I always wanted a kind of hybrid store, one that I would run on a daily basis and have sections for music, books, graphic novels and then a cafe section, and a little stage area for open-mic nights etc.

I love the idea of a sort of ramshackle place where people can come and browse through CDs, books etc, whilst having to listen to my choice of music whilst I sit drinking coffee and being occasionally snarky to folks.

I'd obviously be nice really, it would all be a facade and the local community would love me for it ;)
  • kinky_mong 24 Jul 2013 10:51:13 10,873 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After getting my Psychology degree and having no idea what I wanted to do with my life I was still bumming about in a part-time library job. Not wanting to spend the rest of my life having to deal with the scum of Lewisham borough on a daily basis I refused the offer to work there full time and hit up a lot of recruitment agencies to find me anything that was suitable for my degree and past experience.

After a few interviews for sales roles that I clearly wasn't suitable for I was sent to an online advertising company for a role doing PPC ads. I've now been doing that for 5 years in various companies, working my way up to management and laughing all the way to the bank as the job is perfect for my exploitative nature and love of dicking about in the internet all day.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 24 July 2013 11:33:10
    mikeck wrote:
    @joelstinton I have always wanted to have my own niche shop somewhere by the coast. Sigh, it'll never happen now though, in a few years time kids won't even know what 'shops' are :)

I always wanted a kind of hybrid store, one that I would run on a daily basis and have sections for music, books, graphic novels and then a cafe section, and a little stage area for open-mic nights etc.

I love the idea of a sort of ramshackle place where people can come and browse through CDs, books etc, whilst having to listen to my choice of music whilst I sit drinking coffee and being occasionally snarky to folks.

I'd obviously be nice really, it would all be a facade and the local community would love me for it ;)
    Yeah it be fantastic. That closely follows what i would have in mind too. That sort of stuff really appeals to me. I really miss going into shops and just browsing and using it. I don't mind paying extra for records, its a place where you meet new people, and run by people who are passionate about something. Its worth paying the few extra lousy pounds to see places keep afloat.

Its difficult, some ideas work, some don't. There was a game shop in the town i live in, independant, where he sold t shirts, books, drinks, pick n mix, had a downstair game area, it didn't work and sadly he closed, but across the road, a dvd rental place opened up'd selling (Really nice) milkshakes as well, which has been really succesful.

A niche shop would be great, but as you say, shops are closing down all the time, and my town is fast becoming a ghost town. Although there are a couple of independant shops that have opened, and seem to be doing ok. One is a cookery shop the other a health food shop.

My record shop, would obviously sell records, but also instruments too, have a listening chair- leather, deep and comfortable, next to a nice mogahany table that has a whiskey decanter on it, and a coffee pot, customers would be allowed to help themselves whilst enjoy proper good music. At the corner, there be a small open stage where local musicans, or writers can just play/speak.It would be great!

I guess you wouldn't know how succesful it would be until you did it!
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 11:36:15 17,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mikeck wrote:

I have almost exactly the same dream :D

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 11:36:22 24-07-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 24 Jul 2013 11:36:41 44,966 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:

My record shop, would obviously sell records, but also instruments too, have a listening chair- leather, deep and comfortable, next to a nice mogahany table that has a whiskey decanter on it, and a coffee pot, customers would be allowed to help themselves whilst enjoy proper good music. At the corner, there be a small open stage where local musicans, or writers can just play/speak.It would be great!
    3 months all the booze will have been drunk, none of the records will have been sold, and the chair will reek of piss. Keep dreaming the hipster dream though :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• wogsy81 24 Jul 2013 11:37:01 759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Yay, thats the fella.

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+cern+gifts
    Thanks mate.
    I looked on CERN's website and was surprised they didn't have a shop page. That'll do just nicely. Mucho gracias.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Jul 2013 11:38:29 17,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    Better than being a 40 year old doley.
    Life is like a long distance race. Sometimes your ahead. Sometimes your behind. It's where you are at the end that matters.

Well thats what i keep telling myself anyway.
    I'd say what you've achieved when it ends means the least, it's over at that point and you're just dust/worm food so achieve stuff now. Like me, I'm just considering having a poke around in my belly button, then I might scratch my balls a bit. I'm achieving all my life goals!

You are a factory of sadness.

• wogsy81 24 Jul 2013 11:40:47 759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Ged42 wrote:
    Haven't heard from him in a while, actually haven't heard of CERN in a while. Probably had a resonance cascade or something.
    CERN webcams
    LOL.
    Them links are brilliant :) I hope spindizzy is ok.
  • Leolian 24 Jul 2013 12:00:27 1,095 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Degree in Veterinary Medicine. Been a Vet for 10 years. Closed system really, you need to be very keen, get outstanding academic results, spend 5 years at university, work hard and get paid considerably less than a train driver, apparently.
  • Deleted user 24 July 2013 12:04:15
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:

3 months all the booze will have been drunk, none of the records will have been sold, and the chair will reek of piss. Keep dreaming the hipster dream though :)
    That will just be me. 2 months unkept shaving, sat in the chair in my mould underpants for the whole world to see whilst i lost any sort of dignity.
  • chopsen 24 Jul 2013 12:34:25 16,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Leolian wrote:
    Degree in Veterinary Medicine. Been a Vet for 10 years. Closed system really, you need to be very keen, get outstanding academic results, spend 5 years at university, work hard and get paid considerably less than a train driver, apparently.
    I remember being told agricultural vets get paid well, while sticking thermometers up Tiddles bum was less financially rewarding. Or was that a lie?
  • Page

of 11 First / Last