Boomerang game rentals

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Syrette 18 Jul 2013 20:58:38 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How are people finding this lot? Imagine a fair few of you have signed up recently due to Lovefilm dropping game rentals, so just wondering what the EG consensus is at the moment.

I'm a bit worried about how they are at getting new releases to the customer. With Lovefilm I knew I'd almost always get new releases on release day.

• Sid-Nice 18 Jul 2013 21:07:48 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I ordered a game from Boomerang Games and the same game kept coming back.

NNID Sid-Nice

• captbirdseye 18 Jul 2013 21:11:56 5,033 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used them for a few years and never had a problem getting the games i wanted.
  • cubbymoore 18 Jul 2013 21:12:05 36,497 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're supposed to post it, not throw it, Sid.
  • Sid-Nice 18 Jul 2013 21:13:26 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why does the thread title make me think of Rolf Harris?

NNID Sid-Nice

• spindle9988 18 Jul 2013 21:13:57 3,597 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    I ordered a game from Boomerang Games and the same game kept coming back.
    Ha
  • Syrette 18 Jul 2013 21:17:03 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll get your coat, Sid.

• andytheadequate 18 Jul 2013 21:18:13 8,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I used them for a few months with no problems. If you go for the cheapest option then you can't get any game that is less than 3 months old though, or it was the case when I used them.
  • Syrette 20 Jul 2013 22:31:57 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I'll be getting their best package available.

• BigOrkWaaagh 20 Jul 2013 22:34:18 2,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used them for a couple of years a while back and never had a problem with them. If you're on the cheap package, post your game back on a Wednesday to be in with the best chance of getting a new release. Good advice for any rental company you go with.

Previously midnight_walker

• Syrette 20 Jul 2013 22:39:22 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It seems quite selfish to expect to get all new releases on their release days, but that's the level of service I've come to expect thanks to Lovefilm.

• DUFFMAN5 20 Jul 2013 23:50:50 14,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a couple of weeks left with Lovefilm, then will look to change.
    Surely Amazon (lovefilm) will do something once we get the PS4/One ?

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Syrette 30 Aug 2013 19:50:21 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think I've realised their turnaround simply isn't on Lovefilm's levels. Actually more likely to buy than rent most of the games I want from the rest of this year due to the nature of said games, so I won't be able to properly judge their new release service for a while yet I imagine.

I may be being a bit harsh harsh as I haven't really been with them for long at all.

• PrivateFloyd 1 Sep 2013 13:32:50 4,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have just subscribed. Il be posting my opinion over the next month or so.

Opted out of next gen this year so got the likes of saints row, raymanlegends, dead island on my list I may cancel it for a bit after the free trial what with GTA coming out.

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 6 Sep 2013 15:11:05 4,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interim feedback.

So, to qualify for the free trial you have to have a minimum 5 released games in your list.

This is a little frustrating if there are not 5 games jumping out at you, as it stood i mustered up Rayman Legends, Saints Row 4, Xcom Declassified (the new one), Payday 2 and then got a bit stuck and put down Resi 6 even though I didnt really want to play it.

Guess what game i got sent? Yep. Resi 6.

Sent that back Tuesday and my account has been sitting with no games dispatched since then which is more than disappointing.

I will persevere though as I really want a rental service for the games that don't quite get the cut for outright purchase but my guess is that these guys won't be as good as LoveFilm for games rental dispatch speediness. They're twitter feed is awash with similar comments from other subscribers.

Anyone else having a better experience with them?

Goat is hungry.....

• elvenscroll 6 Sep 2013 18:33:25 1,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have you tried Blockbuster game rental?

I used them for a while, they weren't that bad.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Syrette 6 Sep 2013 18:36:46 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd

You could have just added the games you really want, and then filled in the other spaces with games a while away from launch? I mean I've got Destiny on mine for example. Might not have made it obvious but you can also list the titles in order of priority.

• PrivateFloyd 6 Sep 2013 18:42:37 4,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette

Ah didn't realise.

Even so it's been over 48 hours with no other game dispatched which is pretty poor and certainly isn't making me feel like I will continue my subscription.

My game time is that limited that I only generally have one game on the go at once. Once the dust has settled with the next gen I'm going to have a good long think as to whether I will actually invest.

Bloody Titanfall will be the one that gets me.

Goat is hungry.....

• Syrette 6 Sep 2013 21:44:43 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I'll give Blockbuster a try as well tbh - seems surprisingly good value, plus they've a neat bonus with their 'Store Swap' thing (does what it says on the tin).

http://www.blockbuster.co.uk/bandsignup/start-trial.aspx?cust=new

Only seems fair to compare Boomerang against Blockbuster to see which one I like the most, from their trials at least.

• PrivateFloyd 10 Sep 2013 21:18:03 4,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cancelled my trial today, 5 days without a dispatch of a game is ridiculous and not a way to endear new subscribers.

Not only that but their twitter representative comes across as a bit of a douche (in my opinion).

Goat is hungry.....

• Benno 10 Sep 2013 21:21:59 9,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a pity. With lovefilm ending game rentals they had an opportunity to really bring in some business
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Sep 2013 22:22:24 14,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone know why lovefilm (amazon) stopped doing game rentals, also what happened to all the 1000's of games they must have had. I still keep thinking that at somepoint they will introduce the service again for next gen, seems madness not to.

Re rentals I'm thinking BB for mine, bro-in-law uses them and speaks very highly about it.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• PrivateFloyd 11 Sep 2013 16:43:32 4,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm going to try BB but the reason I got the trial with Boomerang when i did was as a stop gap before GTAV hit and I really wanted to play Rayman, SR4 or the new Xcom.

They were listed as a 0-3 day wait for dispatch, I cancelled on my 6th working day without a game. I was then informed that due to an influx of subscribers they were struggling to meet demand which is all well and good but...

UPDATE THE FRICKIN' WEBSITE SO AS NOT TO MISLEAD CUSTOMERS.

Anyway, they have lost a customer and I most certainly would not recommend them personally.

Goat is hungry.....

• Syrette 24 Oct 2013 14:32:10 43,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This lot are getting the new Batman to me for release, which is decent.

Went back to them because Blockbuster haven't been very good.

Happy to stick with them if they can continue to prove they can cope with the extra demand since Lovefilm quit games. Number of things to like about Boomerang, not least the fact that it's easy to cancel subscriptions there unlike Blockbuster and Lovefilm.

• Short-Round 24 Oct 2013 14:49:26 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blockies sent out an email apologising, blaming the recent sloppyness on Lovefilm stopping game rentals so a recent influx of demand, but saying they're increasing stock of games. I don't actually have any of these rental services, how are Blockbuster a pain to cancel with?
  • spamdangled 29 Nov 2013 20:32:57 27,377 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmmm.

So I just signed up for the "free trial", but it's not actually letting me rent anything until I set my account "live" by paying my first monthly payment.

Feel a bit conned. What's the point in a free trial if you can't actually trial the service?!

Also: I see they're based around the corner from me in Northampton...

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:33:31 29-11-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• FuzzyDuck 29 Nov 2013 20:54:04 4,208 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Hmmmm.

So I just signed up for the "free trial", but it's not actually letting me rent anything until I set my account "live" by paying my first monthly payment.
    If it was advertised as "free month when you sign up" that'd be fair enough, but "free trial" should mean you get well, a free trial.

Balls to that!
  • Deleted user 17 March 2014 11:44:13
    Just tried the trial. Had to put bank details in, which I was prepared for but upon authorisation it asked for 10.99. Assuming this is just for subscription when the trial finished?

Also tried to rent Ground Zero's and it's not having any of it. Was planning on playing it on Friday and sending it back the same day / over the weekend. Bollocks to buying it.
  • JamesUK 17 Mar 2014 19:07:43 179 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I signed up to a trial but cancelled it 10mins later. It looked like anything remotely popular from the past 6 months was excluded from the trial and I couldn't find anything that I wanted to rent.

I could be tempted to give it another go. What's the availability like on recent titles for paying customers?. eg: PS4 Assassin's Creed/NFS Rivals/ - PS3 Stick of Truth/Dark Souls 2. I don't want to pay Ł9.99 a month to sit on a waiting list.

I miss Blockbuster's free instore swaps.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous