Windows Network Help Please. Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2013 10:52:23 10,561 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Control panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Local area connection -> Properties

Then click properties for TCP/IPv4 and check all is set to automatic. Then click properties for TCP/IPv6 and check all is set to automatic.

Edit: The above assumes you're using a DHCP server on your router.

Also, why is your switch before the router? Typically, the switch would be after the router. Unless maybe it's sharing the internet connection between multiple routers set up for discrete networks?
    I did that last night, cheers.
    That is one change, the switch was after the router before, I moved the router to give better wireless coverage in one area of the flat, I can try switchint it back.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2013 10:53:30 10,561 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Control panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Local area connection -> Properties

Then click properties for TCP/IPv4 and check all is set to automatic. Then click properties for TCP/IPv6 and check all is set to automatic.

Also, why is your switch before the router? Typically, the switch would be after the router. Unless maybe it's sharing the internet connection between multiple routers set up for discrete networks?
    Yep, that's it.
    But are we using a router in the modem as well? If not, I'm not convinced this should work unless you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP and manually set up each router behind the switch to use separate IP addresses. Surely most people would have one IP address from their ISP and use a router in the switch position with multiple "secondary" routers behind that "primary" router?
    The modem is a modem/wireless router with the wireless disabled so that should be ok, no?

• crispyduckman 18 Jul 2013 10:57:25 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:

Yep, that's it.
    But are we using a router in the modem as well? If not, I'm not convinced this should work unless you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP and manually set up each router behind the switch to use separate IP addresses. Surely most people would have one IP address from their ISP and use a router in the switch position with multiple "secondary" routers behind that "primary" router?
    The modem is a modem/wireless router with the wireless disabled so that should be ok, no?
    You using a Virgin Superhub? Is it truely just wifi disabled or is it in modem mode? How many devices are/can be attached directly to it?

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2013 10:58:34 10,561 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:

Yep, that's it.
    You using a Virgin Superhub? Is it truely just wifi disabled or is it in modem mode? How many devices are/can be attached directly to it?
    It's a Swiss Cable Modem and just wi-fi disabled, I need to check the config later tbh.

• crispyduckman 18 Jul 2013 11:09:56 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I suggest you set up you network as below:

My Gaming PC -> Router (REPURPOSED AS ACCESS POINT) -> Switch -> Cable Modem (WIFI ENABLED ROUTER) -> Wall

There shouldn't be any need to disable wifi or the router function in your Swiss Cable Modem. Keep that as your only router.

Repurpose the other router as an access point. Google how to do this. An access point has wifi access and an ethernet switch but is NOT a router. Give it the same wifi ssid, channel, encryption and passkey as the primary router. That will give you the best wifi coverage. If you've done it right, nothing should be connected to the WAN/Internet port of this.

• nickthegun 18 Jul 2013 11:11:23 59,413 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or he could just try setting a manual address

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2013 11:13:33 10,561 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:

My Gaming PC -> Router (REPURPOSED AS ACCESS POINT) -> Switch -> Cable Modem (WIFI ENABLED ROUTER) -> Wall

There shouldn't be any need to disable wifi or the router function in your Swiss Cable Modem. Keep that as your only router.

Repurpose the other router as an access point. Google how to do this. An access point has wifi access and an ethernet switch but is NOT a router. Give it the same wifi ssid, channel, encryption and passkey as the primary router. That will give you the best wifi coverage. If you've done it right, nothing should be connected to the WAN/Internet port of this.
    The wireless in the Cable Modem Router is gash, the actual router is a brand new Apple Airport Extreme with 802.11ac so I need to use that for wireless.

SHouldn't I just have Wall -> Modem (in modem mode) -> Router -> Switch -> Stuff??

• nickthegun 18 Jul 2013 11:20:07 59,413 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MANUALLY SET YOUR IP, YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He totally called it

• nickthegun 18 Jul 2013 11:20:31 59,413 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!

He totally called it

• MrTomFTW Moderator 18 Jul 2013 11:26:38 37,762 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    As amusing as it is watching Nick get wound up, I think I better quote this :)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• crispyduckman 18 Jul 2013 11:30:00 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:

The wireless in the Cable Modem Router is gash, the actual router is a brand new Apple Airport Extreme with 802.11ac so I need to use that for wireless.

SHouldn't I just have Wall -> Modem (in modem mode) -> Router -> Switch -> Stuff??
    You can have the network map you describe. It will be easier for you to set up.

What I was suggesting would give you two wifi access points though - the cable router AND the airport. A better router won't help coverage as much as multiple wifi access points. Think of wifi in a hotel. They use multiple access points throughout the building, each set up with the same wifi details (although it's fine for your airport to be set to llac+n and the router to just 11n - just make sure the 11n channels are set up the same).

• nickthegun 18 Jul 2013 11:32:45 59,413 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    As amusing as it is watching Nick get wound up, I think I better quote this :)
    Haha! If he really does have me on ignore, thats a great out of context quote. THIS IS HOW I ADDRESS YOU ALL THE TIME!

He totally called it

• crispyduckman 18 Jul 2013 11:33:11 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!
    Manually setting up IP might give him LAN access, but with two routers and a switch in a fucked up position, who knows whether it'll give him WAN access.

Admittedly, my two access point suggestion is prob a bit too complex for this thread. :-) Edit: He bought an Apple Airport Extreme after all.

Edited by crispyduckman at 11:36:09 18-07-2013

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next