Kinect / Prism Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Progguitarist 12 Jul 2013 11:44:57 10,439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a bit tin foil hat he says after all the revelations.

:D
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Jul 2013 11:52:16 39,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But how about turning it off at the plug?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Anthony_UK 12 Jul 2013 12:12:52 2,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As a few others have said, I don't see the difference between kinect and any other form of welcome.

I'm not the slightest bit worried about the NSA watching me gurn at the TV

I even think the targeted advertising is a good idea. If I'm sat with my partner and kinect recognises this, suggesting a film we could watch could be actually useful rather than some random Lynx or Beer ads the xbox currently fires at you.
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 12 Jul 2013 12:13:18 1,901 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    It's a bit tin foil hat he says after all the revelations.

:D
    Yeah, I've not seen anything that suggests the government or anyone is overriding electronic devices, turning them on remotely, and listening in to people. I think that's a reach.
  • Progguitarist 12 Jul 2013 12:15:22 10,439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Targeted advertising is a good idea.

Fuck.
  • Tonka 12 Jul 2013 12:16:47 20,426 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Okay, I guess that's true, but I think that is a little bit tinfoil-hat, personally. Nothing anyone's said so far has indicated they're turning on devices remotely, as far as I'm aware.
    Except Snowden kindly asking everyone to put their phones in the fridge when they interviewed him in Hong Kong. The only tinfoilery is whether or not it's being done to you and I on a random/regular basis. This is old hat spy stuff. As I said it's been done with bog standard land line phones for years.

Edited by Tonka at 12:17:28 12-07-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Khanivor 12 Jul 2013 12:21:15 40,759 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I'm going to watch an advert of prefer it to be about a new kind of beer or Lego than a fucking tampon.
  • Khanivor 12 Jul 2013 12:23:29 40,759 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's also amusing that gamers in the US are wahing about Kinect and the NSA while local police forces are getting cell phone location data from providers at the rate of hundred if thousand a year and no one has even started a single petition.
  • IronGiant 12 Jul 2013 12:28:08 4,505 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Targeted advertising is a good idea.

Fuck.
    Indeed.. Maybe it's just me that wants to turn my console on (without talking to it) and play a game, end of story.

Targeted ads will mean more ads not less, if Kinect has picked up 4 people of different age/genders in the room do you think you will just get served one advert for beer??

Edited by IronGiant at 12:28:53 12-07-2013
  • sport 12 Jul 2013 12:40:07 12,726 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't realize how wonderful kinect would be in dishing out ads. Oh joyous kinect \o/
  • King_Edward 12 Jul 2013 12:59:35 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The issue with targeted ads is more of a moral issue than an intrusive one isn't it? Aiming McDonalds adverts specifically at fat people for example. It already gets used all over the internet though. Most shopping sites have a recommended section based on your purchase history. It's pretty handy, if exploitable.
  • Tonka 12 Jul 2013 13:14:34 20,426 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Targeted ads are still a cluster fuck though. Look at your facebook walls and let me now how effective the ads are.

Or is it just me?

Not even fucking amazon can get it right. I buy a book with a collection of interviews with chinese people. Then for YEARS amazon nags me about other true stories from china.

You bought A once, so why not buy A a million times more

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• UncleLou Moderator 12 Jul 2013 13:29:04 35,556 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Yeah, it's not like phones and laptops don't already have cameras pointed at you the whole time.
    My phone is in my pocket and my laptop doesn't have a camera. Oh and the webcam I have on my PC was last plugged in month ago.

At least the reason why Kinect 2.0 doesn't have a light on it when it's active, unlike the original, is pretty obvious now!
    http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg?3000e4
    Yeah, you know what's just as shit as the surveillance itself? That all the annoying, paranoid tin-foil-hat wearers actually were right all along.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:29:19 12-07-2013
  • B0rked_Gamer 12 Jul 2013 13:39:07 2,692 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You have the tinfoil ATS nutters on one side and the people reacting to their general nuttiness on the other. If one were paranoid a case could be made for at least some of the tinfoil brigade being ringers planted there to make even the moderate look bad. ;)
  • SYS64738 12 Jul 2013 13:51:41 1,661 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    They're hardly going to come out and say "oh and while it's just listening for 'Xbox, on' we can trigger the Xbox One remotely while it's in its low power state and do stuff without the end user knowing anything about it."
    Imagine a bored MS kinect monitor employee catching you off guard having a good old wank in front of the telly while you think the camera is turned off... And posts it on Youtube for shits and giggles. Hilarious!

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• DodgyPast 12 Jul 2013 18:23:47 8,468 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is that the NSA stuff that everyone's accepting now was seen as tin foil hat stuff a few years ago.

I take the view that if it can be done it probably will. So at the least there's a risk kinect could be used to spy on you if they wanted to enough.

Over time it'll get easier and more automated as the echelon now prism stuff has done and they'll use it more and more.
  • ronuds 12 Jul 2013 18:37:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    I dunno. I know "first they came for the Jews" and all that (it's from a poem, I'm not being Mel Gibson-y), but none of this NSA stuff has really bothered me. I find it amusing that the paranoid conspiracies I believed as a teenage X-Files addict were sorta true, and I'm certainly offended at the scale of it all, but... well, maybe it works? Maybe it has stopped terror attacks?

I guess I'm ambivalent, just as I am with the prospect of MS handing over my data or giving the NSA access to Skype calls.

Also, I'm 100% certain Apple, Facebook, Google, and loads of others are doing exactly the same.
    I'm with you. It's creepy, but I can't bring myself to freak out about it.

If they want a good nap they can watch what I'm doing for 5 minutes. Somehow, though, I can't see a giant room where there's 30 million TV screens all beaming in images Kinects around the world are gathering.
  • Khanivor 12 Jul 2013 18:44:13 40,759 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If only there was some kind of sheet texhnology you could drape over the lens to stop someone from watching you eat your tea while watching Eastenders.
  • Progguitarist 12 Jul 2013 18:48:09 10,439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's not as simple as that. Some games will not function with the camera obscured.
  • ecureuil 12 Jul 2013 18:48:41 76,809 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I find it weirder that some people learn about this, and go "meh". Surely you're slightly bothered?
    Yup, the weird thing is that so many people are okay with it.
  • ronuds 12 Jul 2013 19:00:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    sport wrote:
    I find it weirder that some people learn about this, and go "meh". Surely you're slightly bothered?
    Yup, the weird thing is that so many people are okay with it.
    If you're not okay with it, then you can still remain out of their sights. It's a price we pay for using something that's so easy to obtain information from. Nobody's forcing you to use the internet or buy Kinect or have a credit card or any of the other thousand ways governments can gather information on you.

We ourselves put the information out there and then complain when they take it. Of course they're going to take it, though!

But if you're not doing anything wrong, I'm not sure you have to worry so much. For all we've heard about governments gathering information, I can't tell you a single person who's been affected by it.

Edited by ronuds at 19:00:33 12-07-2013
  • Baihu1983 12 Jul 2013 19:04:53 3,432 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unless I'm playing a Kinect game mine will be switched off.

Still odd to force it to be plugged in when you can turn it off.
  • ronuds 12 Jul 2013 19:08:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'm not defending that you can't unplug Kinect. It just makes no sense.

This issue isn't really about Kinect in particular, imo.
  • IronGiant 12 Jul 2013 21:06:05 4,505 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So does Kinect have to be enabled when you first turn on the console, so part of the login process?
  • ubergine 13 Jul 2013 06:14:33 2,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It has to listen to everything to decide whether it is "Xbox On" or not,

If you can "turn it off" then you should just be able to unplug the fucking thing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 14 Jul 2013 10:47:18 1,901 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ubergine I sort of agree. I 100% support them including it as standard, as mass adoption will lead to better games, but if you can turn it off-off, why not let you unplug it after some kind of initial setup? Not that I will, I quite like Kinect.

At the moment mine sits behind the telly, not coz I'm paranoid, just coz I don't want my daughter yanking it off the TV cabinet and breaking it. It can still hear me, and I only really use it for voice commands, so that's okay. The X1 version looks like it sits on top of an LCD so that's a bit better as she can't reach that far yet...
  • Baihu1983 14 Jul 2013 16:06:56 3,432 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @IronGiant No from what I can tell.

MS has every right to include Kinect with every console IMO but they and developers need to give gamers a reason to plug it in not force it.
  • ubergine 14 Jul 2013 18:24:56 2,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In some sense I might admire their bravery in tasking the risk of alienating some of their existing fanbase, but it's as though it never occurred to them that some people might not like it.

Then again, maybe the reason their E3 was so botched by poor messaging and confused execs was because internally Microsoft were very divided on what they were doing.

You almost have to wonder if Mattrick didn't half deliberately damage Xbox, knowing he'd be heading off to a competitor within weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• telboy007 18 Jul 2013 13:50:12 469 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All xbox one owners should play in their pants wearing a tin foil hat, that way the NSA would have hours of footage of just that.

Awesomes.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• phAge 18 Jul 2013 14:20:32 24,371 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    You almost have to wonder if Mattrick didn't half deliberately damage Xbox, knowing he'd be heading off to a competitor within weeks.
    ... except Zynga is a competitor to Microsoft the same way my local kebab-place is a competitor to McDonalds.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last