Kinect / Prism

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • ubergine 12 Jul 2013 04:36:24 2,534 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some folks were trying to pretend a real-or-imagined link between Microsoft and PRivacy Invasion Secretly Manifested would simply go away. "That was weeks ago! People have forgotten" one person claimed.

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/microsofts-alleged-collaboration-with-nsa-surveillance-programs-detailed

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• b0rk 12 Jul 2013 04:50:57 2,888 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Microsnoop (that's almost as good as Micro$oft LOL) want to push Skype onto everyone and then demand that 'kinshite absolutely must be plugged into their fabulous new console is creepy as fuck. Don't get me wrong here, I'm a paranoid motherfucker but for sure even normal people find this creepy, right? :D
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 12 Jul 2013 09:28:44 1,909 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it weren't for the fact that you can turn it off, maybe it would be a little bit creepy, yeah.

I dunno. I know "first they came for the Jews" and all that (it's from a poem, I'm not being Mel Gibson-y), but none of this NSA stuff has really bothered me. I find it amusing that the paranoid conspiracies I believed as a teenage X-Files addict were sorta true, and I'm certainly offended at the scale of it all, but... well, maybe it works? Maybe it has stopped terror attacks?

I guess I'm ambivalent, just as I am with the prospect of MS handing over my data or giving the NSA access to Skype calls.

Also, I'm 100% certain Apple, Facebook, Google, and loads of others are doing exactly the same.
  • King_Edward 12 Jul 2013 09:44:58 11,455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apple and Google have both been named. Not sure if Facebook have. Most people probably would be ok with it if they were told about it. Since they weren't, it looks shady as fuck.

Edited by King_Edward at 09:48:26 12-07-2013
  • TheSaint 12 Jul 2013 09:53:51 14,623 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the amount people are bothered by the NSA/Prism stuff is directly proportional to the amount of weird shit they watch on Xhamster.

Edited by TheSaint at 09:54:07 12-07-2013
  • sport 12 Jul 2013 10:01:38 12,776 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it weirder that some people learn about this, and go "meh". Surely you're slightly bothered?
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 12 Jul 2013 10:13:22 1,909 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I find it weirder that some people learn about this, and go "meh". Surely you're slightly bothered?
    I'm slightly bothered. But as I understand it, the NSA basically instructs companies to hand over details of individuals or individual conversations, and these companies are not only required to comply but have to do so secretly.

It's shady, right. Could the companies refuse or kick up a fuss? Maybe. They don't because they're motivated by self-interest, I guess, and probably the fear that the one guy they don't hand over blows up the Empire State Building, or something.

So whilst I find it a little... squirmy, I can't quite get up in arms about it for some reason.
  • TheSaint 12 Jul 2013 10:16:02 14,623 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ISPs having the information makes me more uncomfortable then the government having it..
  • Tomo 12 Jul 2013 10:24:14 13,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sport wrote:
    This.

The whole affair is mad, absolutely mad. A complete abuse of the internet and data. If this doesn't spook you, what lengths will people allow governments to go before they get truly pissed off. Give an inch, take a mile...
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Jul 2013 10:26:27 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When they start using it.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 12 Jul 2013 10:34:38 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or when this phrase is reversed.

Governments should be scared of their people not people of their government

• TheSaint 12 Jul 2013 10:37:13 14,623 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is just part of modern society. The cameras on the road network give the authorities the means to follow my entire journey but it doesn't mean they are actually watching me.
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Jul 2013 10:40:23 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are THEY ARE!

Also just because they have the data to do that doesn't mean they can. It takes a fuckton of computing power to process that much data they have to be very selective about who they follow I imagine.

Yes it's scary that they CAN and DO use all this data but keeping yourself up at night because they can is slightly insane considering the effort that they have to go through in order to do it.

There just isn't the technology to follow everyone everywhere all the time..yet.

We should keep them in check but we shouldn't be scared of them basically cause once that happens something has gone terribly wrong. (that quote basically)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 10:44:15 12-07-2013

• UncleLou Moderator 12 Jul 2013 10:45:53 35,718 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    sport wrote:
    This.

The whole affair is mad, absolutely mad. A complete abuse of the internet and data. If this doesn't spook you, what lengths will people allow governments to go before they get truly pissed off. Give an inch, take a mile...
    Yeah. I've also found that there seems to be more anger about this in Germany than (as far as I can tell) in other countries, but that's probably no coincidence - we had two dictatorships in the 20th century that were strongly based on observation and datamining - quite effectively, and with such primitve means compared to what is possible today.
  • oceanmotion 12 Jul 2013 10:54:59 16,008 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wish companies actually put up a fight. Sure they have to comply by law but I think the issue is worth shouting about so the public and other officials get a say instead of bending over. That is one of the most disappointing aspects, nobody stood up.
  • ExcellentBenji 12 Jul 2013 11:01:04 84 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And Microsoft want a camera facing you the whole time you use Xbox One. Er... right.
  • TheSaint 12 Jul 2013 11:02:52 14,623 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it's not like phones and laptops don't already have cameras pointed at you the whole time.
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Jul 2013 11:07:21 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Google and apple aren't evil though...

Whoops we accidentally collected shit loads of wifi details/ tracked where all our phones are

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 11:07:48 12-07-2013

• Whizzo 12 Jul 2013 11:09:47 43,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Yeah, it's not like phones and laptops don't already have cameras pointed at you the whole time.
    My phone is in my pocket and my laptop doesn't have a camera. Oh and the webcam I have on my PC was last plugged in month ago.

At least the reason why Kinect 2.0 doesn't have a light on it when it's active, unlike the original, is pretty obvious now!

This space left intentionally blank.

• TheSaint 12 Jul 2013 11:12:35 14,623 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    My phone is in my pocket and my laptop doesn't have a camera. Oh and the webcam I have on my PC was last plugged in month ago.

At least the reason why Kinect 2.0 doesn't have a light on it when it's active, unlike the original, is pretty obvious now!
    http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg?3000e4
  • Whizzo 12 Jul 2013 11:20:11 43,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah get out the tin foil hats now it's been shown Microsoft have been working with the NSA, that makes perfect sense.

• TheSaint 12 Jul 2013 11:22:38 14,623 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You reckon the NSA are interested in watching you play Halo in your pants?
  • Whizzo 12 Jul 2013 11:26:18 43,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would doubt that very much, I've got zero interest in having a permanently on, internet connected camera in my house either.

• Tonka 12 Jul 2013 11:30:02 20,821 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's weird this reaction didn't come when it was announced in the patriot act.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 12 Jul 2013 11:31:19 1,909 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Once more with feeling: you can turn Kinect off, you know.

When the system is off, its only listening for the single voice command -- Xbox On, and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so youll need to turn it back on for these experiences.
    Edited by Britesparc at 11:35:11 12-07-2013
  • Tonka 12 Jul 2013 11:33:19 20,821 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    If it weren't for the fact that you can turn it off, maybe it would be a little bit creepy, yeah.
    You can press a button that powers down a LED. You will then think the camera is off. If someone with root access (The US Government) wants to use the camera it doesn't really matter if the LED is red or green. Well, I guess to them it's better if it's red.

Same goes for any tech really. Our phones can be switched on and used as listening devices / spy cams. Even old fashioned phones could/can be turned on whilst in the receiver.

And of course, the same goes for all web cams that are built into computers.

Edited by Tonka at 11:34:40 12-07-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 12 Jul 2013 11:36:40 1,909 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Britesparc wrote:
    You can press a button that powers down a LED. You will then think the camera is off. If someone with root access (The US Government) wants to use the camera it doesn't really matter if the LED is red or green. Well, I guess to them it's better if it's red.

Same goes for any tech really. Our phones can be switched on and used as listening devices / spy cams. Even old fashioned phones could/can be turned on whilst in the receiver.

And of course, the same goes for all web cams that are built into computers.
    Okay, I guess that's true, but I think that is a little bit tinfoil-hat, personally. Nothing anyone's said so far has indicated they're turning on devices remotely, as far as I'm aware.
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 Jul 2013 11:39:27 39,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can the US government connect your xbox to the power supply as well?!

• sport 12 Jul 2013 11:40:53 12,776 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say a little tin foil hat ain't such a bad thing given the recent revelations.
  • Whizzo 12 Jul 2013 11:42:27 43,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're hardly going to come out and say "oh and while it's just listening for 'Xbox, on' we can trigger the Xbox One remotely while it's in its low power state and do stuff without the end user knowing anything about it."

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous