Everything The Nintendo Wii U Is And Could Potentially Become [Consumer Edition]

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Acesonnall 6 Jul 2013 20:03:46 6 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey guys, so I just wanted to share a pretty length article that takes an in depth look at the situation with the Wii U and Nintendo's struggles as a gaming company with talented developers and a 'thankfully' insatiable fanbase.

Nintendo's Struggles to Tap Into The Massive Potential Of The Wii U

While it's a doozy, which is why I provided a table of contents to help you guys skip around to only the parts you might care about, I'm definitely welcoming of your feedback and would very much appreciate it.

So yeah, let me know what you guys think here or maybe drop a comment in the comment section.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Acesonnall at 20:04:15 06-07-2013

Edited by Acesonnall at 20:42:49 06-07-2013

Edited by Acesonnall at 20:58:56 06-07-2013
  • morriss 6 Jul 2013 20:05:27 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sum it up for me in 150-200 words.
  • Flying_Pig 6 Jul 2013 20:16:41 10,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Sum it up for me in 15-20 words.
    This
  • Ashleyfiddes 6 Jul 2013 20:35:24 980 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Flying_Pig haven't read it but (in 8 words)

WiiU is an interesting idea just needs games
  • DFawkes 6 Jul 2013 20:41:22 22,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roughly 15 words: Nintendo as a business may make the Wii U profitable, or maybe not.

Our own Wii U thread has said everything from that article, as well as discussed it all in depth. Sure, EGusers are generally more cynical so it comes off rather negatively, but everything does :)

Edited by DFawkes at 20:42:02 06-07-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Acesonnall 6 Jul 2013 20:43:31 6 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ended up streamlining the article a bit.

Also wish I could edit the title of this thread to what the new title of the article is, but guess that ship already sailed. :p

Edited by Acesonnall at 20:44:39 06-07-2013
  • Sid-Nice 6 Jul 2013 22:08:38 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I can't understand is Nintendo released a console with the Gamepad as the USP and failed to utilise the Gamepad to the full. The Off TV feature is fine but “Why on earth” should new games on a new console require old peripherals (Wii-motes) to play them?

If Nintendo intended us to use the Wii-mote then why didn't they release a console with specification closer to the Xbox One and PS4; with an updated remodelled motion controller? The Gamepad touch screen interactivity could have been done via third party peripherals and the BOM of the Gamepad could have been incorporated into the hardware.

The Pro Controller is perfect for the core gamer and the motion controls which introduced the casual gamer to Nintendo would be there for (familiarity reasons) not to alienate the people who made the Wii a success. The Gamepad interactivity for the causal gamer in Just Dance etc. is a novelty and adds very little to the gaming experience; there is nothing that the Gamepad does that makes the non-gamer say “I’ve got to get me one of these.”

Unless Nintendo have created some amazing features utilising the Gamepad in the unannounced up and coming software then in my opinion the Gamepad is and has been a bit of a “White elephant.” Nintendo need to learn from their mistakes and possibly eat “Humble pie” when releasing their next home console. If Nintendo create a console that has similar architecture to the PS4 and Xbone and has Blu-Ray or whatever the medium at the time playback and has a non-gimmick traditional controller, then developers/publishers and gamers have fuck all to complain about.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pinky_Floyd 6 Jul 2013 23:48:46 7,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    If Nintendo create a console that has similar architecture to the PS4 and Xbone and has Blu-Ray or whatever the medium at the time playback and has a non-gimmick traditional controller, then developers/publishers and gamers have fuck all to complain about.
    Hope not.  The reason I really like the wii u is because its nothing like generic console 101. 
  • Sid-Nice 6 Jul 2013 23:58:40 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is 101 at the end of your post meant to be LOL or in reference to the Wonderful 101? :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• Acesonnall 7 Jul 2013 01:09:28 6 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd Pretty much this.

Power (Which I believe Wii U has enough of) is not part of the equation in Wii U's current struggles. The PS2, the Wii, and, more recently, the 3DS were the least powerful of their generation, but these console are all doing well.

Developers seem to only be complaining about the sales in that 'is it worth the time and the effort to develop on the Wii U" instead of complaining about the power because they most likely know power isn't a primary issue or one at all.
  • Sid-Nice 7 Jul 2013 03:43:11 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The “Power” reference is irrelevant and the difference between the PS2, GameCube and Xbox were minimal compared to the Wii and the PS3/Xbox 360. Power/specification means “Jack” to the majority of gadget/console purchasers; if people bought their mobile/smart phone on power alone then the iPhone wouldn’t be the world leader.

Nintendo could create the definitive console; with the most powerful GPU and CPU and still (because of their business strategy) suffer poor third party support with excuses like “Third party games don’t sell on Nintendo consoles” “The Nintendo fan base is the wrong demographic for our games.”

The common consensus on this forum is “Nintendo should go software only” which is ridiculous. If Nintendo launched the ultimate hardware and had full third party support; then it would make more sense if Microsoft and Sony went software only as they only have a handful of first party franchises between them.

It’s not rocket salad Nintendo need to wake up and smell the cappuccino; the Wii U 2 will launch late in 2017 and will only have parity with the almost obsolete Xbone and PS4; I want a 4K Nintendo console ASP as I’ll be getting a 55” 4K TV this Christmas.

NNID Sid-Nice

• jambii267 8 Jul 2013 05:00:01 1,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Wii U just needs more games and maybe a price cut. The games are coming. I'm sure the Wii U will bounce back once the heavy hitters coming later this year drop. The 3DS did, and I hope the Wii U does too. It would be an absolute tragedy if Nintendo exited the hardware business.

To anyone who thinks Nintendo should go software only, please feel free to jump off a bridge.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Jul 2013 06:15:19 11,263 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that Ninty have fucked up big time with their late entry into the HD era, their half-arsed controller and dodgy as fuck online infrastructure, but...

BUT! I'd rather that any day than them making a vanilla console. The beauty of Ninty is that they always do something surprising and different. If their next console came with a wireless dildo-controller and a brain-slug, that'd still be better than them doing a Sony.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good that we have a humbled company like Sony to give us that, but that's it isn't it. We have that already, so let's have Ninty give us something else... even if it's a failure, I'll eventually pick up a Wii U.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Tonka 8 Jul 2013 08:56:55 20,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The GameCube was a vanilla conslol. And it had brilliant games.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• jambii267 8 Jul 2013 15:01:42 1,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Wii wasn't a Vanilla consolol. And it had brilliant games.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• CharlieStCloud 8 Jul 2013 15:05:01 5,016 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jambii267 wrote:
    A few brilliant games, yes.

... the GameCube on the other hand had more than just a few brilliant games.
  • RyanDS 8 Jul 2013 16:44:30 9,052 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jambii267 wrote:
    I agree it did, both of them were pretty awesome.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next