Police in USA arrest man for filming them and then shoot his dog dead in front of him. Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• King_Edward 5 Jul 2013 10:16:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    If only he had closed the car windows. Poor doggie.

I blame the owner, and I guess there's nothing else the cops could've done.
    Maybe they could've, I don't know, not shot the dog? It was only barking at them for Christ's sake.
  • TheSaint 5 Jul 2013 10:17:49 14,398 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    @Megapocalypse you know you can be arrested and thrown in jail without charge in the UK and some people are....
    I think everyone knows that seeing as the police usually hold people while they decide if they have enough evidence to charge them.

It doesn't mean anything.

Edited by TheSaint at 10:18:10 05-07-2013
  • sirtacos 5 Jul 2013 10:27:16 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    If only he had closed the car windows. Poor doggie.

I blame the owner, and I guess there's nothing else the cops could've done.
    Maybe they could've, I don't know, not shot the dog? It was only barking at them for Christ's sake.
    I fucking love dogs but having a Rottweiler come up to you in a stressful situation, when you're obviously - in its eyes - a menace to its owner... after barking at you and squeezing out of a car in order to protect said owner... well, it's easy to say in hindsight that the dog's behaviour was actually quite benign and it wasn't going to maul your face. It's disgusting that it happened, and perhaps there is some merit in arguing that the policeman was a bit trigger-happy - perhaps he was afraid of dogs, or perhaps he was rightfully afraid for his safety, as only an idiot would dismiss a strange rottie as completely innocuous - but the animal does seem to act aggressively and maybe even "lunge" (as phAge points out).

The blame here lies squarely with the owner.

This wasn't a malicious act, and the police didn't shoot the dog immediately - they really did seem to want to avoid doing precisely that.

I'll never put the image of the convulsing animal out of my mind any time soon. :(

Edited by sirtacos at 10:36:44 05-07-2013
  • phAge 5 Jul 2013 10:28:48 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @King_Edward

The dog is clearly lunging at the officer just before they shoot it. Also, you have absolutely no way of knowing when or if it would go from barking to biting - which is why the cops had zero choice but to put it down.

Unless, of course, you think that is a risk the officers should have taken?
  • King_Edward 5 Jul 2013 10:49:22 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @phAge

Maybe. I'm not gonna chastise the guy for killing it for it if he felt genuinely threatened. I just think it's shit that they can shoot a dog for acting like a dog.
  • phAge 5 Jul 2013 10:55:02 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    @phAge

Maybe. I'm not gonna chastise the guy for killing it for it if he felt genuinely threatened. I just think it's shit that they can shoot a dog for acting like a dog.
    I'm sorry what? So if an animal (be that a dog or a bengal tiger) is merely acting on instinct, people who are employed to uphold the law shouldn't be allowed to protect themself from said animal?

The officer was in danger - no two ways about it - and did what he had to do. I'm as sorry as the next man about what happened, but there is nothing wrong with neither the law nor how it was carried out in this situation.
  • OptimusPube 5 Jul 2013 11:07:50 3,031 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Right I've watched it many times and have come to the conclusion that the cop is a massive cunt, some of you are saying that he felt threatened, watch it again as he approaches the dog pointing the gun at it antagonising it, yeah point the gun at it as it is being threatening but to approach the poor thing to make it lunge is just cunty, the cop clearly egged the dog on.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• ZuluHero 5 Jul 2013 11:09:34 4,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I had the choice of going home to my daughter with either a dead dog on my record or a dog bite and medical attention, I know which one I'd pick.
  • sirtacos 5 Jul 2013 11:13:56 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You watched it many times? Once was more than enough for me. I'll take your word for it.
    Nothing we can do about it now. Shitty thing happened. Dog is dead.
    Even if the cop was a cunt there's no way he will ever face the consequences, unless karma magically comes into play. Which it doesn't. Our outrage Is pointless.
  • glaeken 5 Jul 2013 11:14:53 11,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • RightBean 5 Jul 2013 11:15:40 648 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sounds like the officer was attacked by a pitbull and he shot it. It's a fighting breed with a bad reputation, and it is scary to be attacked by such a dog. You know that they can seriously harm you and you know that with this breed, once they start attacking they don't stop, training or not they have been bred for this, their brain shuts off pain and everything. Not all breeds are like that.

The officer is probably not happy about shooting the dog, and he probably did not have a lot of time to assess the breed and muse over it, It is frightening and that was his reaction. It probably wasn't a case of "i'm going to shoot this dog because i'm a cop and I have right to do that. Bang."
  • sirtacos 5 Jul 2013 11:24:56 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your second paragraph makes sense but the first one is filled with misconceptions about pit bulls. Firstly, "pitbull" covers a wide range of breeds. Secondly, the genetic component of aggression is highly debatable. Thirdly, the "they don't stop attacking you til one of you is dead" is bullshit misinformation stemming from a widespread misunderstanding of the breeds in question.

The only thing I agree with is that being faced with an unfamiliar & antagonistic/agitated large dog is intimidating or scary as hell.

Edited by sirtacos at 11:28:11 05-07-2013
  • RightBean 5 Jul 2013 11:29:18 648 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I assumed it was an American Pit Bull Terrier and used the term 'pitbull' meaning that. But, they have been banned and restricted all over the place. I know there is a lot interest in changing their image, but it remains that this is not a breed you want to be attacked by, they have the genetic inclination and nine times out ten they have the idiot owner who wishes to bring that out.
  • phAge 5 Jul 2013 11:34:53 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it amusing that we readily accept that some wild animals are way more aggressive than other (some species of snakes will actively pursue you, while others flee at the first sight of humans) - yet the notion that a race of dogs BRED to guard/fight is more likely to harm people than one which is not, gets some people riled up.

Odd.
  • graysonavich 5 Jul 2013 11:39:43 7,353 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "a race of dogs" :D
  • joeymoto108 5 Jul 2013 11:46:31 644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watched it, don't really see the issue. I'm pretty sure I'd have shot the dog in that situation too, as much as I'd have wished to avoid it. Seriously cops are just damned by the public either way;if he'd had been mauled, people would all be saying he was stupid for not shooting it.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• MightyMouse 5 Jul 2013 11:49:18 1,133 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw this on Reddit. As various police officers (or were they?) there said, the problem is they should have never got into the situation in the first place.

Apart from the issue of whether they should have arrested the guy, if they do so they should have got him to secure the dog first. Then when they see the dog barking from the window they should have got the guy to reassure it and then secure the dog. As it is they pretty much guaranteed that they'd end up shooting the dog.
  • phAge 5 Jul 2013 11:50:09 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    "a race of dogs" :D
    Breed. Soz. In Danish the word is "hunderace" - "hund" being dog and "race" being, well self-explanatory.
  • OptimusPube 5 Jul 2013 11:53:45 3,031 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    Watched it, don't really see the issue. I'm pretty sure I'd have shot the dog in that situation too, as much as I'd have wished to avoid it. Seriously cops are just damned by the public either way;if he'd had been mauled, people would all be saying he was stupid for not shooting it.
    You watched it? watch it again he clearly antagonised it by stepping towards it to make it lunge, the cop is a cunt.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Shikasama 5 Jul 2013 11:57:23 6,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    As it is they pretty much guaranteed that they'd end up shooting the dog.
    It's a conspiracah!
  • sirtacos 5 Jul 2013 11:58:17 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    I saw this on Reddit. As various police officers (or were they?) there said, the problem is they should have never got into the situation in the first place.

Apart from the issue of whether they should have arrested the guy, if they do so they should have got him to secure the dog first. Then when they see the dog barking from the window they should have got the guy to reassure it and then secure the dog. As it is they pretty much guaranteed that they'd end up shooting the dog.
    Seeing as the guy wasn't resisting arrest, and voluntarily walked up to them with his hands behind his back, it would indeed have been easy for the fuzz to tell him to calm the dog down and roll up the windows more.
    The sad thing about this - aside from the loss of life, obviously - is that it was entirely avoidable.
    Giving the cops the benefit of the doubt - maybe they didn't notice that the windows were rolled down until it was too late?
  • phAge 5 Jul 2013 12:01:10 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Giving the cops the benefit of the doubt - maybe they didn't notice that the windows were rolled down until it was too late?
    This. It's actually a common fallacy (it even has a name - Hindsight Bias) - which we all commit every so often.

Doesn't make it any less wrong, though.

Edited by phAge at 12:04:04 05-07-2013
  • Shikasama 5 Jul 2013 12:03:26 6,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't believe there are so many people who would be happy to let a dog savage them.

Just picture them rolling on the floor, dog chewing their face off and shouting to horrified onlookers 'It's not his fault! He has a bad owner! I deserve this!'
  • Mola_Ram 5 Jul 2013 12:04:13 7,399 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, clearly the cop is a dickhead. Obviously he shot the dog just for fun. What a prick.
  • OptimusPube 5 Jul 2013 12:10:59 3,031 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I can't believe there are so many people who would be happy to let a dog savage them.

Just picture them rolling on the floor, dog chewing their face off and shouting to horrified onlookers 'It's not his fault! He has a bad owner! I deserve this!'
    A dog is being threatening, do you approach it or back off? WATCH THE FUCKING VIDEO AGAIN, THE COP IS A KNOB.

How many more times can I say this, watch it again you pussies.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• joeymoto108 5 Jul 2013 12:11:22 644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    You watched it? watch it again he clearly antagonised it by stepping towards it to make it lunge, the cop is a cunt.
    At that point what other choices did they really have? Leave the dog alone and just hope that it doesn't decide to maul any of the officers? They were probably panicking, they'd probably never had training on this type of shit and would obviously not be thinking with total clarity, unlike the viewers of the video who can judge in hindsight. Its an unfortunate event which is yet again being exploited by various groups on the internet to reinforce people's 'fuck da popo' mentality.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• phAge 5 Jul 2013 12:17:35 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OptimusPube

Because backing off will definitely help, as long as you're still detaining the person the dog is aggressively trying to protect.

Idiot.
  • OptimusPube 5 Jul 2013 12:18:01 3,031 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    At that point what other choices did they really have? Leave the dog alone and just hope that it doesn't decide to maul any of the officers? They were probably panicking, they'd probably never had training on this type of shit and would obviously not be thinking with total clarity, unlike the viewers of the video who can judge in hindsight. Its an unfortunate event which is yet again being exploited by various groups on the internet to reinforce people's 'fuck da popo' mentality.
    Yeah because a rottweiler is going to automatically rip you to shreds. I'll let you all look into that what you will.

If it was a golden retriever the comments in here would be totally different.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• phAge 5 Jul 2013 12:21:04 24,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Yeah because a rottweiler is going to automatically rip you to shreds. I'll let you all look into that what you will.

Of course they would - because a golden retriever is not nearly as dangerous as a rottweiler.

You seem to be making less and less sense, mate.
  • OptimusPube 5 Jul 2013 12:25:20 3,031 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:

Of course they would - because a golden retriever is not nearly as dangerous as a rottweiler.

You seem to be making less and less sense, mate.
    So you're saying that if it was a golden retriever doing the exact same actions the cop wouldn't have shot? you're not making sense mate.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Page

of 6 First / Last