EU countries bullying Bolivia's president over Snowden row Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Khanivor 4 Jul 2013 19:27:15 40,403 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well it's not being done in secret in so far as the existence of these programs and their activity is known to the elected representatives of the people.

Electronic eavesdropping has been going on for over half a century. Hell, the FISA court was set up in the late 70s. This shit isn't new. Reports on NSA internet and telephone wiretapping was a news story in 2007. The details from Snowden might be new in their scope but I do think it's a stretch to say this is all new to everyone.

I also think it's a stretch to demand that spy agencies tell the world the specifics about everything they do, which is the logical stopping point of the demands for transparency.

I do think it's probable that the spying has swung too far in the other direction. Yet all we have to base this on is the very one-sided nature of the revelation, which only touch on how things are carried out, not why or what results they get. Put it this way, if you heard that the police were tapping the communications of people in the UK you might be outraged. If, to use an emotional example, it was then revealed numerous child prostitution rings were smashed as a result, then perhaps you might look at the original information in a new and more complete light.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next