Medium format

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • kalel 3 Jul 2013 11:58:39 86,403 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got it into my head that I'd like a medium format film camera to play with, and particularly interested in one of the more panoramic types that you can get.

Not really too sure what I'm looking for though tbh. I know I want something better than a Holga type thing, but definitely can't be getting into Hassleblad territory or whatever.

Any recommendations? I'm currently thinking a 1960ish Fuji type thing like one of these:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Fujica_G690
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 12:06:58
    I have a mamiya RB 6X7 (quite big and bulky), and love it, its what i shoot most of my photos on. Its really easy to use. Its really showing its age though, i accidently broke the viewfinder light box on my last shoot and its needs a good service and some new screws and that.

I too been looking at a more handheld camera as a replacement. I been looking at a mamiya 7II, or a makina 67. But i struggle with handheld slrs as it is, in terms of composing images. so not sure whether to get a newer bulkier tripod one or try my hand at something different, and more discreet in taking photos.

One thing though, how are you planning to print images? do you access to a darkroom? Where i live, only falmouth uni as a public darkroom, but its really expensive to use :( would love to have my own. I scan my images in, and going to send a couple over to the printspace and see what digital prints of film is like.

Edited by joelstinton at 12:07:46 03-07-2013
  • kalel 3 Jul 2013 12:13:25 86,403 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    I have a mamiya RB 6X7 (quite big and bulky), and love it, its what i shoot most of my photos on. Its really easy to use. Its really showing its age though, i accidently broke the viewfinder light box on my last shoot and its needs a good service and some new screws and that.

I too been looking at a more handheld camera as a replacement. I been looking at a mamiya 7II, or a makina 67. But i struggle with handheld slrs as it is, in terms of composing images. so not sure whether to get a newer bulkier tripod one or try my hand at something different, and more discreet in taking photos.

One thing though, how are you planning to print images? do you access to a darkroom? Where i live, only falmouth uni as a public darkroom, but its really expensive to use :( would love to have my own. I scan my images in, and going to send a couple over to the printspace and see what digital prints of film is like.
    Yeah, I was just going to use a postal service probably, although I work in Soho and there's still a few places round here that do 120. I think my local Snappy Snaps might do it actually.

Those ones you mention look good value. Cheers.

The thing that really got me interested was that Lomography Belair thing which does 6x12 images. They look awesome, but the camera itself is obviously an overpriced piece of hipster wankery. Just wonder if there's anything "proper" out there which would be better.

That said, I think that's genuinely the only 6x12 in existence, so I'm probably looking at a 6x9 really.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 12:20:36
    Yeah, i was thinking, and still am, about moving to london, one of the biggest pluses is the availbilty of darkrooms.

Haha yeah the belair does look a bit hipster! but i'm sure you could get away with it without dressing like one too. Problem is, if you get a makina 67, you get photo muso criticising you for trying to be martin parr, you can never win!

I really need to go on a shoot soon, been a couple of months :(
  • mrharvest 3 Jul 2013 15:38:54 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a Mamiya C330. It's a great budget medium format, if you just want to dip your toes in.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next