Free games for XBL Gold subscribers Page 12

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• oceanmotion 24 Sep 2013 13:36:35 16,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never had that problem myself, I always switch on the Xbox before the tv or switching input.

The thing that bugs me is the Xbox won't go online if your switch your internet on after it boots up.
  • andytheadequate 24 Sep 2013 14:08:03 8,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ED209 - Are you sure that isn't because you aee using a turtle beach (or similar) headset? Rather annoyingly, if you do use one and you switch to a different channel, when you go back to AV it restarts the console. This has happened since launch though so not a new issue.

Any rumours on what the next game will be? I hope it'll be another 2006 classic
  • PenguinJim 24 Sep 2013 14:24:07 5,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think that console-restarting-when-changing-AV is related to plugging in certain rear dongles (oo-er) for the optical-out on the original 360. I had such a cheap dongle, and the same issue until I read a guide about how to solder it. (Not owning a soldering iron at the moment, I just taped bits of metal on and taped it back together, but the end result was still good)

Console often required an HDMI handshake for me for the first few years of ownership. I thought I'd noticed this year that it was going straight to the dashcrap before I'd switched inputs, but I could be mistaken.
  • Blerk Moderator 24 Sep 2013 14:31:31 48,225 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Next game is "Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes". Just announced on Nelson's blog.
  • robthehermit 24 Sep 2013 14:34:58 4,260 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Awesome game. Shame I've already got it.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Blerk Moderator 24 Sep 2013 14:36:58 48,225 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I already played a bunch of it on the DS. Is the 360 version any different?
  • andytheadequate 24 Sep 2013 14:41:39 8,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow, a game I've been interested in but not actually played!
  • spindle9988 24 Sep 2013 14:43:21 3,662 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hooray. 1st newish game they have released
  • dancingrob 24 Sep 2013 15:40:23 1,189 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    it's at least 18 months older than Magic 2013...

Once again, the front page comments have gone into moron overdrive as people point out how much better PS+ is (well, duh!) / how much worse PS+ is as the games are only 'rentals' (you don't seriously believe that do you?)

Well worth picking up for anyone who hasn't already played it, one of my favourite games of recent years...
  • spindle9988 24 Sep 2013 15:45:45 3,662 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True. Fir some reason though I just dont view it as a proper game. Magic 2013 that is
  • X201 26 Sep 2013 13:16:48 15,699 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gruff wrote:

In the meantime Takedown: Red Sabre, on XBL will suffice, out on Sept 20th
    Hold fire on that one.

Takedown: Red Sabre

"Takedown: Red Sabre should be taken down from the Steam servers where it is currently being sold for $14.99. This alleged tactical shooter from developer Serellan is unfinished and broken, with playability problems everywhere you look. Idiotic enemy AI, hilariously busted rag-doll animations, crippled multiplayer, absurd single-player difficulty, and some bugs make the game nearly impossible to play, let alone enjoy."

GameSpot 2/10

http://uk.gamespot.com/takedown-red-sabre/reviews/takedown-red-sabre-review-6414979/
  • J.C 30 Sep 2013 17:43:25 1,271 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Halo 3 next. Ffs Microsoft :(
  • Gruff 30 Sep 2013 18:54:25 2,941 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Gruff wrote:

In the meantime Takedown: Red Sabre, on XBL will suffice, out on Sept 20th
    Hold fire on that one.

Takedown: Red Sabre

"Takedown: Red Sabre should be taken down from the Steam servers where it is currently being sold for $14.99. This alleged tactical shooter from developer Serellan is unfinished and broken, with playability problems everywhere you look. Idiotic enemy AI, hilariously busted rag-doll animations, crippled multiplayer, absurd single-player difficulty, and some bugs make the game nearly impossible to play, let alone enjoy."

GameSpot 2/10

http://uk.gamespot.com/takedown-red-sabre/reviews/takedown-red-sabre-review-6414979/
    Ouch, pretty damning, never saw any of that in any of the demos the showed, and most of those were being played by game journos who were raving about it, weird.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• TarickStonefire 30 Sep 2013 20:37:43 3,332 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So this whole 'free games with Gold' thing isn't really of any use at all to any actual gamers who like games and play games and stuff, is that a fair assessment? Because the only games they make free are either old and shit or old and totally played the crap out of already. Yes?

Poo.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• KayJay 30 Sep 2013 21:13:25 5,290 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It seems Sony's policy of 7+ on metacritc extends to at least "Games within the last ~3-4 years".

Microsoft's however seems a little more, well... Wider?

That said, I've not played halo for a long long time. So I'll give this a bash! :)
  • oceanmotion 30 Sep 2013 21:19:06 16,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's Microsoft and Xbox. Good expectations were non existent.

PDZ will probably be the finale.

I do like some levels in Halo 3 and far better than Halo 4.
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Sep 2013 21:20:10 5,395 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    KayJay wrote:
    Microsoft's however seems a LOT more, well... wider?
    There's still quite a crowd of people playing multi-player on Halo 3!

... be nice if Forza Horizon and Gears of War Judgement are the last two games, just to make up for their 'efforts'.
  • spindle9988 30 Sep 2013 21:33:26 3,662 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Next month we can all look forward to cloning Clyde
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Sep 2013 21:39:12 15,228 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    J.C wrote:
    First game I completed coop. Had awesome fun apart from the dreaded anus level!

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• StarchildHypocrethes 30 Sep 2013 21:41:00 26,364 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm actually quite looking forward to giving Halo 3 another go for free. Damned good game.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2013 21:42:00
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    J.C wrote:
    First game I completed coop. Had awesome fun apart from the dreaded anus level!
    Forgive me but the dozen times I completed halo 3 I missed the anus level. Any good?
  • oceanmotion 30 Sep 2013 21:46:09 16,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You know those flood flower things. Just me or are they stupidly tough to kill?
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Sep 2013 21:48:05 5,395 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Forgive me, I missed the anus level. Any good?
    It was okay ... better with two female players though.
  • SomaticSense 30 Sep 2013 23:39:30 8,983 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Halo 3 is a fantastic game. Many will disagree, but it's easily my favourite of the series, and has some of the most memorable campaign levels. Halo 4 was more polished, but 3's SP destroyed it on every other level (well, the aforementioned anus level aside...).

However, it's hard to feel grateful when a grey corporate company hands you a free copy of a product from their infinite stock, which you can't imagine sells more than 4 copies a week worldwide anyway at fewer than a fiver apiece. It's a zero risk strategy to cynically garner favour.

Would you feel genuine gratitude towards your aunt if you found out that sweater you got for your birthday was pulled from her attic because she didn't want it anymore?
  • J.C 12 Oct 2013 10:57:38 1,271 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last comment 2 weeks ago. Games for gold. So fucking shit, nobody even comments on it until Microsoft announce another dinosaur title. Meanwhile over on PS+, everyone is singing and dancing and laughing their asses off at us Xbox owners and our dusty old games for gold.

Yes, I'm pissed off at Microsoft. Have been for a loooooong time.
  • muttler 12 Oct 2013 11:11:05 4,237 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has Halo 3 been up for Games for Gold yet? I wanted to get that one, or have I missed the boat? Figures. The only game I wanted from GfG and I bloody missed it!
  • Syrette 12 Oct 2013 11:12:00 44,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be fair you're paying your £30-40 purely for the 'free' games on PS+.at the moment.

You're paying £30-40 for online multiplayer with XBL Gold. The 'free' games are just a bonus.

Yes Games with Gold isn't very good (clearly) but if you go in with the mindset that you shouldn't expect a PS+ equivalent then you might hate it a little less.

:)

• muttler 12 Oct 2013 11:39:01 4,237 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's one way of looking at it. But I've got hundreds of pounds worth of games from Plus for my £40 a year, and here's a key point, it's games that I and other gamers really want.

They actually shouldn't have bothered with Games with Gold. It's inevitable that people would make comparisons with Plus, and next to Plus it's an embarrassment.

They should have just given away Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2 in a one off gesture, or maybe carried on with that scratch card / wheel of fortune app thing they were doing, and fixed it so that if you played you would definitely win one of these games each week. That way people would just have been well happy to have won something. They could even have announced at E3 something like, "We are investing x amount of more dollars in the Sales & Specials app giveaway so you are guaranteed to get some decent prizes".
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2013 11:53:49 23,892 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ow, my face is burning, those PSN+ people laughing at me. :(
  • dancingrob 12 Oct 2013 12:35:03 1,189 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    for gamers, games with gold is a good thing. Genuinely free stuff (rather than the freemium crap we're now used to) is a good thing.

From an MS PR perspective, it's an utter disaster, as with many of their moves this year, as they've taken what should be a guaranteed win (Look! Free stuff!) and managed to have it viewed as a negative by the vast majority of people.

The only exception being the idiot fanboys who point out 'but PSN is only a rental' as if it makes a difference, not even really sounding convinced themselves.

From a business perspective, I'm entirely with Muttler really, and I really can't understand why MS decided that entering into direct competition with PS+ on this issue would be a good idea, unless there was at least the intention to offer something of roughly equal value. As it turns out, they've (presumably) spent a fair few quid on this, and ended up looking cheap and substandard, whilst they could have offered nothing at all, with no negative PR, as the focus of Gold would have remained party chat / better servers / all the other stuff that historically tended to make MP more popular on 360 than PS3
  • Page

of 30 First / Last