Importing an NTSC (US) Wii U?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • coderkind 30 Jun 2013 18:48:16 983 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hello all,

sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum but I did a search and didn't find anything. I'll probably aim to buy a Wii U at some stage and wanted to know what the pros and cons were with importing a console from the States.

In 2013 I can't be dealing with crappy PAL versions of virtual console games or any other ways the official UK console may suffer, so this might be the first time I actually import a machine and wanted to know if it's worth doing.

I know about the voltage differences but aside from this, would (or have you) bought US or UK consoles?

Do UK controllers work on US machines? Is the UK suffering release date delays compared to the US (considering the region lock)? Can I buy stuff from the US store with a UK credit card? Etc...
  • jimlufc 30 Jun 2013 19:09:22 118 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dunno about the Wii U but I have a US 3DS and I have to pretend to be Canadian for it to accept my debit card. But other than that the eShop works perfectly and I can download games at US release.
  • coderkind 30 Jun 2013 19:25:00 983 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got a UK 3DS so haven't experienced stuff like this but vaguely aware it is an issue alright.
  • Syrette 30 Jun 2013 19:33:40 43,309 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do inferior PAL versions of titles still exist?

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jun 2013 19:39:33 37,844 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought I had read recently that the Wii U wasn't region locked, but it turns out I was thinking about the Xbox One!

Anyway, this Wiki article says the gamepads are region locked as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• coderkind 30 Jun 2013 19:46:51 983 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was spurred on to create this thread as I only recently learned about the RGB N64 stuff. I had a UK SNES years ago I paid to get properly sped up and a scart connection.

If/when I get a Wii U I want to be buying the best version of the console I can.
  • Sid-Nice 30 Jun 2013 21:10:45 15,852 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I haven't downloaded any retro games but I'm sure the Pal Virtual Console software has now been updated to 60HZ the (NTSC equivalent) on the UK eShop.

I have a Panasonic Q (NTSC GameCube) and I bought the majority of my games from Video Games Plus Canada; I never got charged import duty as the games were marked "Toy under $20."

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 30 Jun 2013 21:23:07 10,585 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    WIth NoE better than NoA for releasing stuff, I wouldn't bother importing.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Cappy 30 Jun 2013 21:33:42 11,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking as someone who has nearly always opted for import consoles, I find it difficult to see the advantage in the case of the Wii U. eShop games? That's it? A bunch of crusty old games you could play at 60Hz on any PC or via compilations etc.

As opposed to;

No warranty.

No Warranty (it bears repeating, even the damn controller is region locked, guess what happens when you ask NOA to ship a replacement to Europe? They don't sell them separately, in the event of loss or theft they actually ask for a police report. Damage to the controller costs the same as replacing the entire console because that's what you'll have to do.)

Damn region locking, importing games from the US or Canada isn't cheap anymore, it's the PAL games that will be looking like bargains and you'll miss out on every sale, every special offer, every price crash.

The Wii U games, you know the things you're supposedly shelling out the cost of an entirely new console for, they'll all be 60Hz, no advantage.

No account system. So you love those eShop games? Better hope nothing happens to your Wii U. Ever. Even if you try to go down the replace/repair route you can't transfer or do anything with those games because NOA won't deal with an EU customer.

In summary; So many disadvantages that importing practically qualifies you for a straitjacket and a rubber room.
  • mal 30 Jun 2013 21:51:15 22,456 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    coderkind wrote:
    the RGB N64 stuff.
    Is that you? Is that you?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• coderkind 1 Jul 2013 21:58:07 983 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mal Erm, no (thankfully)!
  • coderkind 1 Jul 2013 21:58:45 983 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cappy Good points (and everyone else who's commented). Thanks. UK console it is.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next