Index Holdings (Atlus) about to go bankrupt

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • HiddenAway 27 Jun 2013 09:48:39 14,859 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Japanese news story

Index were already in deep trouble over fiddling their figures via round-tripping. There's no telling what this means for Atlus just yet.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Tuffty 27 Jun 2013 10:03:41 1,507 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess the obvious step would be for Square Enix to buy them over.

Would be very bad for Atlus to go away completely considering that not only are they responsible for the SMT series, but also helped release a lot of other games too which would be sorely missed.
  • LockeTribal 27 Jun 2013 10:21:29 4,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's hoping they pull through it. The world needs a new Persona game for goodness sake!
  • Cappy 27 Jun 2013 10:25:12 11,834 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder which part of the business was failing, the games division losing money seems unlikely.
  • uiruki 27 Jun 2013 10:31:01 3,663 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Atlus always had decent profitability.

If they're bought out, I think someone like GungHo would do well to pick then up. They have a mature American distribution, marketing and localisation business, they produce steady profits (the CEO has admitted that Puzzle and Dragons' success was a fluke) and they do like their collaborations with other brands. It could also mean a Game Arts developed Megami Tensei title which would make me very happy.
  • HiddenAway 27 Jun 2013 13:03:19 14,859 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Official press release

Over at the NeoGAF thread, the translation from one of the moderators seems to imply that the game division is "the most desirable and functional part of Index's business". They're looking for a sponsor to conduct a business transfer before the situation degrades this part of the business.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Tuffty 27 Jun 2013 13:26:09 1,507 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Read a few suggestions that it might be an idea for MS/Sony/Nintendo to buy them and get their games as exclusives. MS would probably have most to gain by getting a presence in Japan. Who can say, enough crazy stuff has happened recently...
  • YenRug 22 Jul 2013 14:59:44 2,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whilst it is an opinion piece, though not presented that way, this presents an interesting possibility:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/18958/20130719/atlus-bankruptcy-nintendo-persona-5-acquisition.htm

As a 3DS and Wii U owner (alongside my PS3), it could be a good thing, i.e. a stronger likelihood we will see Atlus games get EU releases, but I suspect Vita/PS3-only owners are going to be pissed if it does turn out to be correct.
  • uiruki 22 Jul 2013 15:19:52 3,663 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure they would be a good choice, especially for Europeans given Nintendo's stance on region locking. Given Iwata's stated stance on buying developers I think they're too big, have too much external baggage and not enough differentiation from their other teams and subsidiaries, given the expansion of Monolith into a second studio.

In the end, when a website puts out an opinion piece that doesn't have a name on it, it really undermines any confidence anyone would have in it. I still think the most likely candidates would be someone like GungHo who have a record of buying up RPG studios and a whole load of money, or a company on the outskirts like a pachinko company who can use their properties (like Sammy or Aruze).
  • YenRug 22 Jul 2013 15:31:21 2,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @uiruki Why would it be a bad choice for Europeans? We currently ARE locked out of any Nintendo games they release, left hoping that another publisher will pick them up to bring to the EU.

It's non-Nintendo owners that will lose out, everywhere, as you will almost certainly see a halt on development for other platforms; unless, however, someone at Atlus convinces them that they would financially benefit from them being a second-party developer with a wider remit, guaranteeing that everything did see a release on Nintendo platforms as well.
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Jul 2013 15:41:43 23,362 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because you're assuming that Nintendo would release them in Europe. If they didn't we'd be fucked as we couldn't import.

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• Ashleyfiddes 22 Jul 2013 15:44:36 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    as long as we see Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem that's all i care about

if Nintendo do buy atlas i would be happy as a WIIU & 3DS owner, pissed as a PSV & eventual PS4 owner
  • uiruki 22 Jul 2013 15:55:43 3,663 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz That's what I was getting at. On a purely personal note, I also don't want to have to buy a second Wii U when I barely touch the first. Nintendo are getting good support from Atlus without having to pay them a penny - why take the risk, unless it looks like Sony are going to nab them (again, I don't see that happening either because of the developer/publisher split)?
  • Bremenacht 22 Jul 2013 16:29:35 17,614 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Atlus working with Intelligent Systems? That partnership's gotta produce something amazing.

If Microsoft cared about games (and imo they don't) they should swoop in and pick up what they can. It'd be another bridge towards building Japanese interest.

Where does this leave From Software and the 'Souls titles? Just move to another publisher?
  • YenRug 22 Jul 2013 16:36:21 2,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz But you can't import as it is, we're already region locked with Atlus games for Nintendo systems unless you import a US 3DS, Nintendo buying them out would increase the likelihood that we saw their games.
  • clockworkzombie 22 Jul 2013 22:46:28 363 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

If Microsoft cared about games (and imo they don't) they should swoop in and pick up what they can. It'd be another bridge towards building Japanese interest
    Microsofts' Japanese experiment died with the 360. Japan is not getting the One at launch, at least not so far, it is a market to sell to but the Japanese public have showed they will not buy an MS game console.

MS did try to sell things the Japanese market would like but they did not buy it.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next