Anyone up on their tenancy law? I need some advice please. Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • DFawkes 26 Jun 2013 11:30:43 22,938 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Please note that this is entirely just something I googled and glanced over, but I'd have though the Landlords and Tenants Act 1985 would apply, including Section 8.2:

"The landlord, or a person authorised by him in writing, may at reasonable tinmes of the day, on giving 24 hours’ notice in writing to the tenant or occupier, enter premises to which this section applies for the purpose of viewing their state and condition."

As I say, just glancing at it so most likely of little use. No idea if that's even the current legislation, or where it covers.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:31:13 26-06-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• ZuluHero 26 Jun 2013 11:33:21 4,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Come on, we're 26 and 28 years old, and as of two weeks, both qualified doctors. Let's not play the stereotype game.
    The flat I took when I moved here was being let by 3 doctors.

There was maybe a square foot of clear floor in the entire 3 bedroom place, and ashtrays piled high. Never been hovered. It was like squatters living there. THREE DOCTORS!!. THREE!

Thankfully I could see past the mess - Because of that, I even negotiated a reduced rent, and when I moved in it was all lovely and clean, with new carpets and all - but I could see how people are put off when a place is in that condition.

Now yours doesn't sound as bad as that, but there is still a limit people will accept. If people are turning away from viewings, then something has to be wrong?

Edited by ZuluHero at 11:34:11 26-06-2013
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2013 11:38:36 33,404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote: When you make breakfast, put the stuff away after you. Simple stuff really. I always make sure my kitchen is spotless when i go to bed, and the rest of the house has been put back into order, ready for the next day of "living".
    That is so me.

Problem is the wife is the opposite. She'll use the last of the milk, and just leave the empty carton on the kitchen counter. Or she'll make toast, and leave the butter and knife on the kitchen counter. Not only that but the butter knife will be actually on the counter itself so leaving a nice smear of butter...

Nnnnnrgh
  • Shikasama 26 Jun 2013 11:48:07 6,828 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine 2 student doctors do not have much time or energy to keep things spotless in a place I would assume they don't spend as much time as they'd like to in.
  • disusedgenius 26 Jun 2013 11:51:41 5,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Everyone is just trying to do their jobs.
    Only following orders, eh?
  • Dougs 26 Jun 2013 12:01:41 67,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote: When you make breakfast, put the stuff away after you. Simple stuff really. I always make sure my kitchen is spotless when i go to bed, and the rest of the house has been put back into order, ready for the next day of "living".
    That is so me.

Problem is the wife is the opposite. She'll use the last of the milk, and just leave the empty carton on the kitchen counter. Or she'll make toast, and leave the butter and knife on the kitchen counter. Not only that but the butter knife will be actually on the counter itself so leaving a nice smear of butter...

Nnnnnrgh
    Well, you can't eat cold toast. That's just wrong.
  • kinky_mong 26 Jun 2013 12:05:10 10,271 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Please tell me you're not going to be a surgeon once you qualify if you can't even wash your plates up after eating? ;)

But seriously it sounds like your estate agent is being shitty (what a surprise!) but you're not helping matters by being belligerent. Saying that viewings are spoiling your "quiet time" doesn't come across well at all, because having a few people take a five minute look at a place is hardly going to ruin a whole evening.

Most rental agreements are always skewed far in favour of the landlord over the tenant, so unless you can find something in the contract that explicitly states the agent is violating the terms you're just going to have to suck it up and run the vacuum around the place.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• RedSparrows 26 Jun 2013 12:07:39 22,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grayson, life is shit because people make it shit. If Prof thinks he's in his rights, he's fucking well entitled to try. Why let someone push you around?

I fail to see where a spot of mess indicates 'students' and mucking up income et al. My flat is a mess a lot of the time, but by that I mean it takes a quick tidy to look good again.

If Prof and Mrs Prof are in fact troglodytes, they'll learn soon enough.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:08:09 26-06-2013
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 12:12:53 59,875 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as you messy behaviour isnt physically affecting the flat, its fixtures and fittings, its hard to see how they could do anything to make you tidy up.

Its not like you had a paragraph 3, subsection 4 that said 'I will always put away my cornflakes'

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Benno 26 Jun 2013 12:13:29 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If that extract exists you're going to kick yourself.
  • Benno 26 Jun 2013 12:13:30 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 12:14:37 59,875 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That would be a very, very thorough contract.

• graysonavich 26 Jun 2013 12:39:33 7,343 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm no expert* but I'm sure there will be something in there about leaving the flat in a respectable viewing condition during the viewing/handover period.

If nothing else it's surely just common courtesy to the new prospective tenants?
  • ZuluHero 26 Jun 2013 12:40:05 4,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    As long as you messy behaviour isnt physically affecting the flat, its fixtures and fittings, its hard to see how they could do anything to make you tidy up.

Its not like you had a paragraph 3, subsection 4 that said 'I will always put away my cornflakes'
    Mine doesn't say cornflakes per se, but it does mention keeping the surfaces and floor free from food matter and debris as well as a section on general cleanliness, that isn't at my discretion.

I think that's fairly standard.
  • mrpon 26 Jun 2013 12:43:50 28,893 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ProfessorMesser, AMIRITE?!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 12:46:01 59,875 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:

I think that's fairly standard.
    I dont think I have ever had it in a contract and, spurred on by this, I went TO GOOGLE!

Turns out you and the prof have grounds to tell the landlord to forcefully insert their tenancy agreement up their respective arseholes:

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2011/05/19/dealing-with-dirty-tenants/?doing_wp_cron=1372247009.7973289489746093750000

• DFawkes 26 Jun 2013 12:50:56 22,938 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought such a clause might constitute consideration under Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts. I wasn't sure though.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• ZuluHero 26 Jun 2013 12:52:14 4,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well there you go, end of thread.

But like it says in that article that if your way of 'living' affects things like carpets or other furnishings that belong to the property then they might have come back that way.
  • ProfessorLesser 26 Jun 2013 13:04:02 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good find ntg, it would be nice if that article was a bit better referenced though. I had a suspicion that the estate agent is welcome to professionally clean the property if he wishes, but not to charge us for it, as we are entitled to private use of the property during our tenancy.

Thanks for the help everyone. CAB meeting was only partially helpful - we're considering getting a solicitor's letter if the harassment continues. Otherwise they just showed us how to google (cheers) and comb our contract (nice one).

From what I can tell, the estate agent has no power whatsoever to demand a meeting with the tenants. Incidentally, it is just the estate agent we're having trouble with. He's taking all this upon himself and afaik the landlord, who is a pleasant gentleman, is more or less staying out of it. The dispute is about the estate agent's capacity to conduct viewings.
  • ScoutTech 26 Jun 2013 14:18:11 2,423 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Print out the threatening email and next time they bring a viewing around you greet him warmly and say something along the lines of "Ohh so glad you are here, now these threatening emails you keep sending us claiming you are going to land us with unnecessary charges, are they something you want to discuss now or at another point?". Or even provide the viewers with a nice bundle of communications so they can decide properly if they want to deal with this company.
  • ScoutTech 26 Jun 2013 14:23:52 2,423 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    & to be more helpful the Googles brought thisis from 2007 but relevant
  • PearOfAnguish 26 Jun 2013 15:10:24 7,274 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    Print out the threatening email and next time they bring a viewing around you greet him warmly and say something along the lines of "Ohh so glad you are here, now these threatening emails you keep sending us claiming you are going to land us with unnecessary charges, are they something you want to discuss now or at another point?". Or even provide the viewers with a nice bundle of communications so they can decide properly if they want to deal with this company.
    Do this.

Video it too so we can all watch.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next