Glastonbury 2013

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • imamazed 24 Jun 2013 14:55:13 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone going this year?

I got a ticket as some of my friends are going and, well, because I could afford it at the time. It's crept up on me, but hey, it's this week. Going down on thursday.

Not really been paying any attention to it, I really need to sort out what I wanna see. Hip Hop is my bag, which is a bit gutting, as Nas and Public Enemy clash with The Rolling Stones to varying extents. What else should I be looking out for?
  • M83J01P97 24 Jun 2013 15:01:25 6,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Primal Scream, Portishead (a big must), PiL, Sea Sick Steve, The Orb, Bobby Womack, Fuck Buttons, Gold Panda, Mount Kimbie.

But the best part of Glastonbury is wandering from stage to stage when you haven't got anyone else you particularly want to see and discovering something new.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 15:01:50 24-06-2013
  • imamazed 24 Jun 2013 15:09:29 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeh got my eye on Bobby Womack (or Womack and Nomack as I call him by himself) and Portsihead. Primal Scream runs into Nas, but I'll be able to see a fair amount hopefully. I'll check out the others on youtube or something when I'm home; cheers for the reccomendations.

I've not been to glasto before, but I do understand that with so much to find, I can't really go too far wrong, unless I just stay on the pyramid stage or something stupid like that. Just need a few focal points; anyone know of any good hip hop? Nas as I said, and public enemy would be great, but I'm seeing The Stones instead. Pharcyde are playing Thursday night I believe which'll be sweet.

Edited by imamazed at 15:09:59 24-06-2013
  • M83J01P97 24 Jun 2013 15:17:18 6,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Wow! and Gully stage are where the majority of Hip Hop artists will be this year as those are the 'urban' stages.
  • localnotail 24 Jun 2013 22:03:45 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try and get there as early as possible (like Wednesday morning) or you'll be stuck for camping.

Get to the Stone Circle for dawn at least once.
    Also go to Arcadia for the show one night, it's amazing. Also there is a rumour Daft Punk might show up.
    There are always special guests, usually at The Park, which has a smaller viewing arena, so get in early, and make sure you visit the Rabbit Hole too.

Shangri La will still be there on Saturday. Friday night it will be rammed and you may get stuck in a trudging one way system up the old railway track. There used to be a sneaky side route in through Strummerville. Not sure if that still works.

If you want to move between the Pyramid Stage and The Other (and other spaces), use the path on the right hand side of the Pyramid, it is less used and therefore faster. Avoid the market area as it can snarl you up.

Here is mobile version.

Have fun. Smile at strangers. Talk to them. Have a cuppa at the Tiny Tea Tent and watch the world go by. Don't forget to visit the comedy and cabaret fields. The comedy tent is a great place to lie down when broken if it is hot.
    If it looks like a hot one, which it might be, then take a spare sheet/ blanket to put over your tent for shade - tie it to guy ropes to avoid blowing off. Drink lots of water. Take an empty 4l fabric conditioner bottle as a piss pot for your tent. Trust me on that one. Empty it into the loos on a daily basis though)

Most important: go to the Brothers Bar in the Jazzworld/ West Holt field and buy at least one pint of Strawberry Bastard. (they will know it as strawberry pear cider).

There is no way I could go this year, but I'm feeling the loss keenly. It has got too big, and there are too many punters and not enough contributors these days, but there is still nothing like it. Have fun.

Edited by localnotail at 22:05:32 24-06-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• monkman76 25 Jun 2013 08:22:09 3,945 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try and save some energy for the late night stuff in the south east corner of the site (Shangri La, District 9 etc). Hard to get into but just amazing, like wandering into a parallel universe. Last couple of times I went I was too old/knackered to bother queuing but regretted it.
  • monkman76 25 Jun 2013 08:23:46 3,945 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh and even if you don't like cider (like me), try the Cider Bus cider near the Pyramid. It's delicious rocket fuel :)
  • imamazed 25 Jun 2013 09:26:07 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @localnotail @monkman76

Cheers for the input guys.

I actually got a second chance ticket, and all I could pick up was a thursday coach ticket. Luckily my mates are driving up tonight and are going to pitch my tent for me, so hopefully we'll get a decent space.

Piss pot for the tent is something I'd already thought about, was thinking more like a 2L water bottle though.
  • monkman76 25 Jun 2013 09:34:58 3,945 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also you can eat really well if you look around a bit, unlike any other festival I've been to. There's far too much variety to list here but just a couple of things, try square pies and the veggie curries in one of the hippy fields near the stone circle.
    /vague memory
  • imamazed 25 Jun 2013 09:38:53 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeh I'm a vegetarian actually; it's the one festival where I knew that wouldn't be a problem aha
  • CharlieStCloud 25 Jun 2013 09:52:02 5,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @localnotail

God, that's the best helpful mini-Glastonbury guide I have read!

: )

p.s. Just thoroughly relax and enjoy yourself is the best advice I can give everyone.

I will be quite mad if Daft Punk do show up though ... MAD.
  • SilentTristero 25 Jun 2013 11:33:53 291 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daft Punk can go fuck themselves; I'll be scouring the site for Thom Yorke/Atoms For Peace.

Still a lot of debating over clashes, for me...

Vaccines Vs Palma Violets - Seen and worked on Vaccines gigs before, so will probably opt for Violets.

(Vaccines' second set at William's Green now seems to be 'TBA' on the App's planner, as well)

Monkeys Vs Portishead - Would love to see 'Head live, but also strangely attracted to a Monkeys headline set. Tough call.

Nick Cave Vs Smashing Pumpkins - Probably my easiest decision, was always going to be Cave. Curious to see what state Pumpkins are in now, but...
  • tombo 25 Jun 2013 11:50:12 2,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think there's a strong chance of Hot Chip being there too. Both associated bands (2 Bears, New Build) are there plus Fimber Bravo, their steel pan player, is there.
  • imamazed 25 Jun 2013 11:53:27 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SilentTristero wrote:
    Monkeys Vs Portishead - Would love to see 'Head live, but also strangely attracted to a Monkeys headline set. Tough call.

I've got to make a decision on this too. Thinking I'll go with 'Head atm.
  • localnotail 25 Jun 2013 12:57:19 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @imamazed Trust me on the 4L. Even if you do only need 2L, (and if you drink lager, you will almost certainly need more overnight), 2L of piss fits much better into a 4L bottle than a 2L.
    Plus fabric conditioner / washing liquid bottles have a nice wide neck for easy nighttime drunken fumbling access, a convenient inbuilt handle, a good solid cap, and they are aesthetically pleasing as they smell nice and they are not see-thru. Also, they can never be mistaken for rum cocktail bottles.

I've been to more than half of the Glastonburys since I first hopped the fence in '93. A 4L fabric conditioner bottle and a 5 pack of Refreshers* are the two things I never go without.

*because no matter what you have done to yourself, no matter how bad your mouth tastes, those little round fizzy friends will sort you out.

On that later matter - if you choose to buy recreational chemicals on site, choose the vendors who have obviously sampled their own merchandise. It's harder to lie when you are high, so the chances of a real deal from a spangled soul are better than a straight geezer.

Argh. Very jealous. There is nothing I would like more than to be heading off to Pilton right now. Oh well. Have fun everyone. I'll be watching from my sofa. But it won't be the same.

• M83J01P97 25 Jun 2013 13:18:14 6,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The fact Emily Eavis was one of the invited VIP quests at club Atoms for Peace suggests there is a good chance they will be one of the secret bands to play.

Daft Punk seems highly unlikely, they would need to play one of the main stages which are all booked up and fully scheduled this year.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 13:44:33 25-06-2013
  • Trafford 25 Jun 2013 13:43:27 5,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That bottle of piss from your tent could be thrown at Mick Jagger.
  • localnotail 25 Jun 2013 13:47:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @M83J01P97 Why would they need to be on a main stage? The crew rumour is for Arcadia, but it's all very nodnodwinkwink so it might just be a rumour. Radiohead played the Park on a surprise in 2010. Many things are possible.

I highly recommend The Destroyers to anyone wanting to bounce madly and have their ears blown off. Unless you are allergic to gypsy mentalism. They are playing 4 times as there are about 12 of them.

• imamazed 25 Jun 2013 14:16:25 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @localnotail cheers for that. That's a point actually, where do you discard the piss once you've filled it up?
  • localnotail 25 Jun 2013 17:06:24 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, just tip it into the nearest portaloos / longdrop next day, not the hedges. You won't be the only one, and you can enjoy the slightly disgusted envy of those who failed to bring such a convenience.

• neilka 25 Jun 2013 17:21:52 15,638 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Leave it in the sun for a couple of hours and it's essentially free cider.
  • Trafford 25 Jun 2013 20:08:45 5,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you take the Lenor bottle when you go down the front as well?
    Hate to lose that prime position;)
  • Ginger 25 Jun 2013 20:23:14 6,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    SilentTristero wrote:

I've got to make a decision on this too. Thinking I'll go with 'Head atm.
    I'm a massive head fan, have been for years and went to see them gigging a few years ago. If you've not already done it, then I'd put it high on the list, just to see Beth singing Wandering Star live. Was such an awesome rendition.

London open taekwondo champion

• localnotail 25 Jun 2013 20:37:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Trafford MegaTena pads are your friend.

Nah, only joking. I just wet myself

• Vortex808 25 Jun 2013 22:50:55 6,939 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ginger wrote:

I'm a massive head fan, have been for years.
    /giggles juveniley
  • localnotail 28 Jun 2013 13:01:28 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, another rainy festival. Shouldn't get too bad though, apparently.

Apparently Fatboy Slim brought on 2 people dressed as Daft Punk last night on the Wow stage and played Get Lucky. Cue a huge rush to the tent, painful overcrowding and disappointment. Musical trolling.

The Arcadia Saturday night 2-3AM slot is still unconfirmed, and therefore open to speculation about DP. Might just be Chase & Status though.

• beastmaster 28 Jun 2013 13:05:49 11,159 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I shall be sat in the comfort of my own home watching on the telly.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Trafford 28 Jun 2013 14:10:47 5,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I see Goat are playing this afternoon.
    Now I'm jealous.
  • M83J01P97 28 Jun 2013 14:15:01 6,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pictures seem to show it's become the usual mud bath after yesterday's heavy rain. Which is a shame. But then what do you expect from Glastonbury and the British summer?
  • Tom_Servo 28 Jun 2013 16:35:24 17,297 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/wileys-best-tweets-of-glastonbury-2013
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous